How Do I Say "Don't Shoot!" In Thai

Nam Kao

I want to raise my hands and say "Dont Shoot!" in Thai

May not be correct, but I'll take a shot .... pun intended :o

How 'bout ไม​่ทำยิง /f/mai /m/tum /m/ying ??

Forgot to add ... just to make sure your "humor" isn't misinterpreted, you may want to be prepared to quickly add:

พูดล่น /f/poot /f/len (literally play talk or just joking)

Whats "I have money, don't shoot" in thai.

ผมมีสฅางค์อย่ายิง - pom mee satang ya ying

How about the opposite, "give me all your dosh mate or I'll blow your effin head off"?

Scouse.

Small typo Scouser: Satang is สตางค์ :o You gotta watch those little loops! :D

Typo duly corrected. I'll get the hang of this keyboard one day. :D

Scouse.

It's อย่ายิง short and simple. อย่ายิงผมนะครับ (yah ying pohm na krub) don't shoot me (polite). Add กรุณา (garuna) or ได้โปรด (dai brode) in the front if you want "please don't shoot me".

Satang is a bit fancy for normal speech. Usually people just say ผมมีเงิน (pohm mee ngern). When people say "ผมมีสตางค์" it's implied that "I'm rich" since satang is a word the well to do use.

I don't know if Thais would understand the joke or not, but then again farang are known to do weird things.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you folks, I'm practicing it rt now, the Old Dragon thinks I'm loopy!  :D

In a real situation I would probably just yell...."MAI".....why waste trigger time being grammatically correct...... :o

I think it is more natural to use "yaa" or "yaa na!" in that situation - "yaa" is "don't" in imperative phrases (orders). When people say "mai!" in movies it is more often in sorrow or disbelief (watching your friend die, your car getting blown up or something).

the thing is,MS, if you're being shot I'm not sure you're in the position to 'order' the assassin as to his actions; perhaps a sorrowful ไม่! would play on his possible conscience more effectively.

Whoever started this thread should conduct a survey of survivors of attempted murder and compile a list of their parting words before the bullets struck, perhaps this would shed some light on the most effective phrase.

bannork.

the thing is,MS, if you're being shot I'm not sure you're in the position to 'order' the assassin as to his actions; perhaps a sorrowful ไม่! would play on his possible conscience more effectively.

Whoever started this thread should conduct a survey of survivors of attempted murder and compile a list of their parting words before the bullets struck, perhaps this would shed some light on the most effective phrase.

bannork.

Survivors with parting words....strange.... :o:D:D

In a real situation I would just say the first thing that came to mind......more than likely "oh S**T".... :D:D

bannork.

Survivors with parting words....strange.... :o:D:D

His parting words when he found his wife in the arms of his best friend were,'thank God for that'.

You can survive and still issue parting words, or even parting shots,gburns57au

bannork.

]

It's อย่ายิง short and simple.  อย่ายิงผมนะครับ (yah ying pohm na krub) don't shoot me (polite).  Add กรุณา (garuna) or ได้โปรด (dai brode) in the front if you want "please don't shoot me".

Satang is a bit fancy for normal speech.  Usually people just say ผมมีเงิน (pohm mee ngern).  When people say "ผมมีสตางค์" it's implied that "I'm rich" since satang is a word the well to do use.

I don't know if Thais would understand the joke or not, but then again farang are known to do weird things.

agree with Firefox that it may not translate. I would suggest maybe answering with ä˹? (Where???)and then looking behind you with a confused look on your face. :o

It's อย่ายิง short and simple.  อย่ายิงผมนะครับ (yah ying pohm na krub) don't shoot me (polite).  Add กรุณา (garuna) or ได้โปรด (dai brode) in the front if you want "please don't shoot me".

Satang is a bit fancy for normal speech.  Usually people just say ผมมีเงิน (pohm mee ngern).  When people say "ผมมีสตางค์" it's implied that "I'm rich" since satang is a word the well to do use.

agree with Firefox that it may not translate. I would suggest maybe answering with ä˹? (Where???)and then looking behind you with a confused look on your face. :D

Could somebody please explain the humour in "Don't shoot" and how it is related to "farang"? I don't get it either... :o

Maybe answer in Lao/Isarn:

bor maen, khoi pen baksiida, bor maen falang derhhhhh.

No, I am a "baksiida" (guava in Lao), not a "farang" (guava in Central Thai).

"bor maen" is a negation, the same as "mai chai" in Central Thai. "khoi" is an "I" pronoun. "derhhhhhhh" is a particle that makes the utterance sound more Isarn.

agree with Firefox that it may not translate. I would suggest maybe answering with ä˹? (Where???)and then looking behind you with a confused look on your face. :D

Could somebody please explain the humour in "Don't shoot" and how it is related to "farang"? I don't get it either... :o

Maybe answer in Lao/Isarn:

bor maen, khoi pen baksiida, bor maen falang derhhhhh.

No, I am a "baksiida" (guava in Lao), not a "farang" (guava in Central Thai).

"bor maen" is a negation, the same as "mai chai" in Central Thai. "khoi" is an "I" pronoun. "derhhhhhhh" is a particle that makes the utterance sound more Isarn.

That'd probably work. Sarcasm doesn't though unfortunately, given that I love using it.

Edited by samran