A New Lease On Life

Gary A

I have been playing with Linix distros for a year or more and found none that ran well on my old obsolete Toshiba laptop. The Toshiba is a Pentium 2 with 64 mb of ram. I had tried Puppy in the past and wasn't impressed. I noticed the Puppy 4 distro and thought I'd try it. I have it installed totally on the hard drive. I'm impressed. It boots quickly and it appears that I will be able to get my Nokia E51 to connect to the Internet. No success yet but it does recognize the phone and is able to obtain the IP address using bondO and Auto DHCP. This is using the Nokia data cable.

Apparently there are some Puppy packages that are supposed to help me connect. Since I am unable to use Linux to download the packages, is it possible to download them on my Windows computer and then load them via CD or memory stick?

I have been playing with Linix distros for a year or more and found none that ran well on my old obsolete Toshiba laptop. The Toshiba is a Pentium 2 with 64 mb of ram. I had tried Puppy in the past and wasn't impressed. I noticed the Puppy 4 distro and thought I'd try it. I have it installed totally on the hard drive. I'm impressed. It boots quickly and it appears that I will be able to get my Nokia E51 to connect to the Internet. No success yet but it does recognize the phone and is able to obtain the IP address using bondO and Auto DHCP. This is using the Nokia data cable.

Apparently there are some Puppy packages that are supposed to help me connect. Since I am unable to use Linux to download the packages, is it possible to download them on my Windows computer and then load them via CD or memory stick?

Check out this link. I believe that it is possible, however, I'd be worried about dependencies. I.E., you install KPPP, but need pppd which you haven't downloaded yet! Having said that, if you have unlimited time on your EDGE account, download the whole of the repository.

Check out this link. I believe that it is possible, however, I'd be worried about dependencies. I.E., you install KPPP, but need pppd which you haven't downloaded yet! Having said that, if you have unlimited time on your EDGE account, download the whole of the repository.

I was able to download something called MT GPRS connect. I downloaded it with Windows on a memory stick and it installed easily in Puppy. It looked like it was going to work but no luck yet. I downloaded a number of other little things like Bluez. They don't seem to want to install like the MT GPRS connect.

I'm impressed with Puppy 4 because it boots in a minute and five seconds from pushing the start button. I'll keep working on it.