Unlicensed Foreigners In 60% Of Patong Motorbike Accidents

george

Unlicensed foreigners in 60% of Patong motorbike accidents

PATONG: -- : Foreigners who have never ridden a motorbike before can rent one for as little as 150 baht a day in Patong, where a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride also costs about 150 baht.

PATONG (TNA, Gazette): The poorly-regulated “motorbike for hire” industry in Patong has contributed to an alarming number of motorcycle accidents in Kathu district, where more than half of the 500 accidents reported to Kathu Police involved unlicensed foreign motorcyclists, the government’s Thai News Agency (TNA) has reported.

With many motorcycle rental shops in Patong, foreign tourists and expats can easily rent a motorcycle without having a license, as this is not strictly monitored by the authorities, TNA reported.

For many tourists, renting a motorbike in Patong is an attractive option as a single ride in a tuk-tuk in the resort town, which charges the most expensive tuk tuk fares in the country, will cost about the same or less as the rental of a motorbike for a 24-hour period – about 150 baht.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnark was quoted as saying, “About 60% of motorcycle accidents are from unlicensed foreign motorcyclists, but there are so many unlicensed foreign motorcyclists that we can’t check the exact number. We can count only when accidents occur.”

Local residents have also expressed their concern about some foreign motorcyclists whose reckless riding has tarnished the image of one of the world’s top tourist destinations. Some foreigners simply do not even know Thai traffic rules. Many like to ride fast, frightening local people and other foreign tourists seeking a peaceful holiday, the TNA report read.

“They always ride fast and crosscut other cars. I’m so scared I will crash one day,” one local resident was quoted as saying.

However, the Land Transportation Department on Phuket insists tourists and expatriates can ride motorcycles in Thailand only when they have been issued a motorcycle license by the department.

Motorbike licenses are obtained by submitting identification documents and a work permit or an address guaranteed by the Thai Immigration Office, then passing written and practical tests. The process can be done in a day.

There was no mention in the TNA report of any impending crackdown of the many outfits who rent motorcycles to foreigners without a license.

In most cases, all the renters need to do is hand over their passport as a form of surety.

Motorbike rental is also popular among some Thai criminals, who use the vehicles when carrying out crimes such as “snatch and runs” thefts.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-09-26

No mention is made in the news article that the bikes for rent in Patong are often big, powerful bikes like 900cc sportbikes. Such motors cannot be rented back home (although I saw some for rent in Palma de Mallorca, at around 100 euros a day for a 600cc). The article also suggests that Thais are all licensed. Alcohol is not mentioned. The 60 percent wild guess may be correct. If the bikes were in proper shape, they could go 250 kilometers per hour.

PATONG: -- : Foreigners who have never ridden a motorbike before can rent one for as little as 150 baht a day in Patong, where a 10-minute tuk-tuk ride also costs about 150 baht.

PATONG (TNA, Gazette): The poorly-regulated “motorbike for hire” industry in Patong has contributed to an alarming number of motorcycle accidents in Kathu district, where more than half of the 500 accidents reported to Kathu Police involved unlicensed foreign motorcyclists, the government’s Thai News Agency (TNA) has reported.

With many motorcycle rental shops in Patong, foreign tourists and expats can easily rent a motorcycle without having a license, as this is not strictly monitored by the authorities, TNA reported.

For many tourists, renting a motorbike in Patong is an attractive option as a single ride in a tuk-tuk in the resort town, which charges the most expensive tuk tuk fares in the country, will cost about the same or less as the rental of a motorbike for a 24-hour period – about 150 baht.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnark was quoted as saying, “About 60% of motorcycle accidents are from unlicensed foreign motorcyclists, but there are so many unlicensed foreign motorcyclists that we can’t check the exact number. We can count only when accidents occur.”

Local residents have also expressed their concern about some foreign motorcyclists whose reckless riding has tarnished the image of one of the world’s top tourist destinations. Some foreigners simply do not even know Thai traffic rules. Many like to ride fast, frightening local people and other foreign tourists seeking a peaceful holiday, the TNA report read.

“They always ride fast and crosscut other cars. I’m so scared I will crash one day,” one local resident was quoted as saying.

However, the Land Transportation Department on Phuket insists tourists and expatriates can ride motorcycles in Thailand only when they have been issued a motorcycle license by the department.

Motorbike licenses are obtained by submitting identification documents and a work permit or an address guaranteed by the Thai Immigration Office, then passing written and practical tests. The process can be done in a day.

There was no mention in the TNA report of any impending crackdown of the many outfits who rent motorcycles to foreigners without a license.

In most cases, all the renters need to do is hand over their passport as a form of surety.

Motorbike rental is also popular among some Thai criminals, who use the vehicles when carrying out crimes such as “snatch and runs” thefts.

Best laugh I have had for ages.

Foreigners Do not know Thai traffic laws.What laws?

They ride fast and cut across other traffic.

They need to add ride on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic and that would be THAI traffic rules.

The statistics are possibly true. Patong, clearly not representative of the whole of Phuket, has many people on holiday. Drinking a lot, then riding unfamiliar motorbikes on unfamiliar roads. No surprise then that there are a lot of accidents.

Are they seriously suggesting that it's the duty of the hiring person to check the documents of the hiree? It's not really feasible is it. Russian/Korean/Chinese driving licence anyone? Could you check the validity of one? Could you understand the minutiae of what a provisional motorcycle licence issued in the UK means?

Verification is down to the police i reckon.

That's actually not true i dont believe. If you have a motorcycle licence in your home country and have an international driving licence, you can ride out here as a tourist for less than 6 months i believe.

Expats with work permits should certainly strive to obtain a proper Thai motorcy licence. Seriously. I got stopped at 2am on Chalong circle last week at a routine road block.

Cop says 'where you come from?'

I say nothing. Get my wallet out and flash the 5 year Thai motorcy licence.

Cops eyes widen, "oh,,,,,,,,,,,,oh!' Then snaps up a smart salute and waves me on.

Good work soldier.

I'd been aware of the chances of a roadblock as there were lots of groups of Thai's suddenly stopping at the side of the road up to a kilometre away.

I wonder why........................................?

The article is maybe suggesting that obtaining a licence makes you a better rider.

As most people know, the 'driving test' here is Phuket is a joke.

I can't decide whether the article is an attempt at propaganda (bad farang, poor local Thai people) or whether the writer is simply a hopeless cause. Either way, it's all bull do do.

Hahahahaha ! Paranoiac farang is back !

Yes guy, I'm a farang living in Pattaya and I can confirm many farangs are really mad, driving car or bikes.

They often ignore how to drive motorbike.

They ignore the rules (habits) of thai driving, and then, they imagine there is no rule ! What could be more stupid ?

They require to other drivers (thai) they respect the rules they have in their Europe country*.

I've traveled around 60000km in Thailand, and at least 70% of roadhogs I've seen are farangs. In a country where ther are only 2% and a big part doesn't drive a car...

When a car bother me on the road, I always say to my g/f : he's a farang. And unfortunetely, I win.

Geroc

*In Europe, can you compare "crazy" italian drivers and "stubborn" german drivers ? (for example)

Does this mean that the other 40% of motorbike accidents involve licenced foreigners??

These statistics are meaningless as a big percentage of accidents don't get reported ( money exchange on the spot). I wonder if the authorities have ever done the sums on the number of motorbikes sold Vs motorbike licences issued!!

The way the Thais drive, I am sure most do not have licences as they seem unaware of basic traffic rules ie: riding against traffic, driving without lights, turning left without looking for traffic on the right, overtaking on double lines, cutting in front of oncoming traffic at lights, riding 4 or 5 up, driving while holding an umbrella, driving while talking on a mobile phone, speeding through housing areas where kids play/walk on roads, etc.etc.

I reckon most accidents are people from countries where they drive on the right.

Mostly from EEC and US, who think it is no problem.

Bet not many accidents involve Kiwis, UK and Ockors........Sth Africa too........S'pore etc

Lots of asian...... chinese, japanese have BAAAAAAD prangs here in NZ

I hire a bike all the time on Phuket.

• 1 month later...

Whether the statistics are accurate or not is obviously debateable. The general point about Foreign tourists who shouldn't be anywhere near a motorbike of any sort though is spot on.

I have lost count at the times these idiots have nearly taken me and half the road out with them. Just trying to stay out there way can be a challenge in its self.

Will there be a clamp down on the source? I doubt it. It's just another classic case of corruption in Patong where if you pay enough anything goes. Makes me laugh how these renters set up on the main beach car parking spaces taking some 50% or more and nothing is done, because back handers are flying to police in all directions. The checking of documentation (or lack of it) is no doubt thrown in to the monthly pay-off!

• 2 weeks later...

Recently knew a Foreigner here that run over and killed someone in a truck ,Whilst so drunk he couldn't stand .

10,000bht changed hands at the scene so he had a day to sober up.

Settled out of court for a couple of Thousand pounds. Yup the ars##hole still drives here whilst pissed as he feels he got away with it.

Makes me sick to the stomach.....I have seen this gloating pr**ck whilst he staggers back into his truck without a care in the world.

Recently knew a Foreigner here that run over and killed someone in a truck ,Whilst so drunk he couldn't stand .

10,000bht changed hands at the scene so he had a day to sober up.

Settled out of court for a couple of Thousand pounds. Yup the ars##hole still drives here whilst pissed as he feels he got away with it.

Makes me sick to the stomach.....I have seen this gloating pr**ck whilst he staggers back into his truck without a care in the world.

sometimes, they say, what goes round comes round...

• 5 weeks later...

It remembers me about a episode, 1 year old now. I was in patong hospital for a gonorrhea treatment and the nurse said: "All you farang have gonorrhea; typical of farang...";

I just answered "where do you think we get this nice bacterya?". Thai girls, I suppose :o ; the same goes with accidents; I do not believe this stats; they're bullshit; BTW in thailand there's a percentage of widows (due to car and bike accidents) quite "substantial". (thai husbands, logically)