Allergy To Peanuts

Jockstar

Ok guys. For those in the know. Its not for me but someone on another forum is coming to Thailand to do a cycling tour around. They can't eat peanuts, So they basically want to tell people in Thai that this is the case. My gf helped me to tell them the way to say it. But what would be even better was if they can have it written in Thai script. that way then they can show people.(providing they can read that is) . So come on guys this is a serious thing that can kill you if your not careful.

Ok guys. For those in the know. Its not for me but someone on another forum is coming to Thailand to do a cycling tour around. They can't eat peanuts, So they basically want to tell people in Thai that this is the case. My gf helped me to tell them the way to say it. But what would be even better was if they can have it written in Thai script. that way then they can show people.(providing they can read that is) . So come on guys this is a serious thing that can kill you if your not careful.

This is probably the easiest way to say and write it in Thai... :o

ฉันแพ้ถั่วลิสง "chan pae to-a le-song"

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard

Sounds like a risky proposition to me, lots of foods contain peanuts in vaying amounts and I am aware minute amounts can kill.

If a kitchen implement say a mortar and pestle had previously been used for satay sauce, som tam or the like you then have a big problem.

Most of you guys know how easily Thais can dismiss or make light of situations like this.

Make sure that he carries his lifesaving syringe (sorry I forgot the technical term for it) with him and somone who can administer it if necessary.

best would be to coock your own food or at least eat only things out of cans.

I wouldn't trust any thai chef in understanding this sentence. You get a nice smile and yes yes but they haven't gotten a clue what it means....I would never eat out when i have that in thailand.

In my younger years i was a chef myself and encountered a similar case with a lady that was allergic to natriumdisulfate or something.

She ordered garlic shrimps and specifically asked my boss if this product was used . (it's a taste enhancer) he said no but failed to tell me i had to prepare the dish with real garlic. I used a garlic paste usually (more easy) which included this product without me knowing it.

The woman was rushed to hospital with breathing problems after 10 minutes :o

Luckely she had immediate care.

I wouldn't trust any thai chef in understanding this sentence. You get a nice smile and yes yes but they haven't gotten a clue what it means....I would never eat out when i have that in thailand.

In my younger years i was a chef myself and encountered a similar case with a lady that was allergic to natriumdisulfate or something.

She ordered garlic shrimps and specifically asked my boss if this product was used . (it's a taste enhancer) he said no but failed to tell me i had to prepare the dish with real garlic. I used a garlic paste usually (more easy) which included this product without me knowing it.

The woman was rushed to hospital with breathing problems after 10 minutes :o

I think the taste enhancer you are talking about is MSG, monosodiumglutamate, also known as "phong chuu rot" or "ayinomoto" (after a Japanese brand) in Thai. Very common in Asian cooking. Scientists have largely discredited MSG allergy as a psychological problem, since it occurs naturally in lots of food.

I think the Thai cook will indeed understand the sentence, but not to the extent that he/she understands the actual consequences, you would need to explain these as well.

Try to print out the following and show it to the staff at the restaurants you eat at:

ฉันแพ้ถั่วลิสง

ห้ามใส่ถั่วลิสงและเครื่องผสม ที่มีส่วนประกอบทำจาก ถั่วลิสง อย่างเด็ดขาด เพราะว่า สามารถทำให้เกิดอาการฉุกเฉินได้ รวมทั้ง หายใจไม่ออก จนต้องเข้าโรงพยาบาลทันที มิฉะนั้นตายได้

which also should explain the gravity of the situation and the consequences. You can never guarantee a person´s behaviour of course, but I believe the above should be clear enough for a Thai chef. If anyone thinks otherwise let me know (I am sure you will).

I would also avoid eating Vietnamese food altogether as most things (especially the dipping sauces) in their cuisine contains peanuts.

I agree with Meadish that you should have something clearly written in Thai which explains both the nature of the allergy and the consequences of not following the instructions. The text provided by Meadish should certainly do the trick.

There appear to be two small spelling errors, however, as follows:

สามารท์ - the correct spelling is สามารถ

ไม่ฉะนั้น - the correct spelling is มิฉะนั้น

Cheers,

Bob

I agree with Meadish that you should have something clearly written in Thai which explains both the nature of the allergy and the consequences of not following the instructions.  The text provided by Meadish should certainly do the trick.

There appear to be two small spelling errors, however, as follows:

สามารท์ - the correct spelling is สามารถ

ไม่ฉะนั้น - the correct spelling is มิฉะนั้น

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you for the corrections bobcat, I always have difficulty to remember irregular spellings - will make the necessary corrections in the text above.

:-)

Meadish

The woman was rushed to hospital with breathing problems after 10 minutes :D

I think the taste enhancer you are talking about is MSG, monosodiumglutamate, also known as "phong chuu rot" or "ayinomoto" (after a Japanese brand) in Thai. Very common in Asian cooking. Scientists have largely discredited MSG allergy as a psychological problem, since it occurs naturally in lots of food.

I think the Thai cook will indeed understand the sentence, but not to the extent that he/she understands the actual consequences, you would need to explain these as well.

Try to print out the following and show it to the staff at the restaurants you eat at:

ฉันแพ้ถั่วลิสง

ห้ามใส่ถั่วลิสงและเครื่องผสม ที่มีส่วนประกอบทำจาก ถั่วลิสง อย่างเด็ดขาด เพราะว่า สามารถทำให้เกิดอาการฉุกเฉินได้ รวมทั้ง หายใจไม่ออก จนต้องเข้าโรงพยาบาลทันที มิฉะนั้นตายได้

which also should explain the gravity of the situation and the consequences. You can never guarantee a person´s behaviour of course, but I believe the above should be clear enough for a Thai chef. If anyone thinks otherwise let me know (I am sure you will).

I would also avoid eating Vietnamese food altogether as most things (especially the dipping sauces) in their cuisine contains peanuts.

Well that was it :D. I don't think it was phsycological as she was sure it wasn't in the food in the first place and she got breathing problems a few minutes later due to her tongue and throat swelling. Scared the ###### out of my boss :o

Hey this was my 1000th post??? :D:D

Edited by Darknight

KISS

Kin tua din mai dai......I cant eat peanuts

kin nam man tua din mai dai....I cannot eat peanut oil

Not sure where you got "tua din" from?

Peanut in Central Thai is "tua lisong", or, in formal texts, "tua yiisong". I have never heard a Thai referring to them as "tua din".

KISS is a good motto.

This is why I recommended the safest option, which is to print out the text in Thai above. I'd also argue it's simpler to show somebody a piece of paper than trying to learn how to say something in Thai when you are not sure how it is supposed to be pronounced.

KISS

Peanut in Central Thai is "tua lisong", or, in formal texts, "tua yiisong". I have never heard a Thai referring to them as "tua din".

KISS is a good motto.

This is why I recommended the safest option, which is to print out the text in Thai above. I'd also argue it's simpler to show somebody a piece of paper than trying to learn how to say something in Thai when you are not sure how it is supposed to be pronounced.

Got it from my ex in Buriram, Thats what she called them, Having checked my books. I will concur with you.....Tua Yisong it is....Apologies :o

The original poster will need to make sure that they avoid things cooked in peanut oil, Thais have a bad habit of not co-relating...."this is not peanut sir, this is peanut oil, same same but different"....... :D

KISS

KISS is a good motto.

Got it from my ex in Buriram, Thats what she called them, Having checked my books. I will concur with you.....Tua Yisong it is....Apologies :o

The original poster will need to make sure that they avoid things cooked in peanut oil, Thais have a bad habit of not co-relating...."this is not peanut sir, this is peanut oil, same same but different"....... :D

Its probably a direct translation of ground nut, which sometimes peanuts are refered to, never heard tue yisong, just tua lisong, but then again I cant read thai!!

KISS

KISS is a good motto.

Its probably a direct translation of ground nut, which sometimes peanuts are refered to, never heard tue yisong, just tua lisong, but then again I cant read thai!!

Thats the one I knew and understood, I had never heard of Tua Yisong or lisong before Meatball told me. Lisong and yisong maybe the same word just pronounced differently

I'd appreciate the thai words for "Peanut Oil For Cooking"  in 1/2" letters.

If someone has time.

The term is...... nam man tua yisong

I cant write it in Thai as I cant seem to type the tone mark above the vowel.

1.นำมันถั่วลิสง "nahm mun to-a li-song"

2.นำมันถั่ว "nahm mun to-a"

Snowleopard