Blueray Movies At 100 Baht!

Richb2004v2

ok guys, anyone with confirmed Bluray copies from Bangers? if so from where?

last weekend i was just roaming around mbk and decided i'd give the fake blu ray discs a shot. they were offering to be sold in the range of 300-400 baht, with discounts for bulk purchases. i thought i'd just get one and test it out, to see if it's actually worth the money. i bought the movie "RED" with bruce willis, for 300 baht. the package was an original blu ray plastic case, with manually printed leaflets but i don't care about all that.

went home, slid it into the blu ray player and it worked fine, all with the menus and all, the movie looked great. the special features and commentary were not there, so it was just the movie with dts-ma audio. there's a sticker on the blu ray box saying it's a 25gb blu ray, and i checked to see if it worked on my dvd player and it didn't, so must mean it's a blu ray, and they were able to squeeze in the movie on a 25gb instead of a 50gb by cutting out the special features.

now, my question is anyone bought a fake avatar version? i ask because i know avatar doesn't have any special features so the whole movie is loaded on a 50gb disc, and i wonder what they do if you get a fake disc, do they compress it to fit in a 25gb disc or charge you more and burn it on a 50gb disc?

• 4 weeks later...

The copied blu-rays on sale now in Thailand are a rip-off. I have seen them in Panthip and MBK for 300-500thb.

You can get decent blank 25GB BD-Rs for 50thb each now so it gives you an idea of their markup. Blu-Ray burners (I wouldn't touch anything other than Pioneer) start from about 4,500thb.

If you want to watch HD content you are better off getting a media tank (HDi Dune and Popcorn Hour are the undisputed best and the only two to handle the new HD audio formats correctly and both will play Blu-ray ISO) and download the .mkv rips. More of them are being released with the HD audio soundtracks instead of being downsampled.

.mkv Blu-ray rips are usually 6-18GB in size depending on the movie.

now, my question is anyone bought a fake avatar version? i ask because i know avatar doesn't have any special features so the whole movie is loaded on a 50gb disc, and i wonder what they do if you get a fake disc, do they compress it to fit in a 25gb disc or charge you more and burn it on a 50gb disc?

50GB blank Blu-rays are still not available in Thailand (to my current knowledge) so all blu-rays will be single layer BD-Rs 25GB.

The version of Avatar they will be selling will be re-encoded to fit onto a 25GB disc.

The original Avatar Collectors Edition Blu-ray has the movie on one 50GB disc and another disc with special features. The whole rip untouched is 86GB.

Considering the originals are available to buy online for about the same price that the Thais are selling the copies buying them makes no sense whatsoever.

Edited by Oberkommando

• 3 weeks later...

I think the package just show bluray logo indeed it just dvd. They just rip from bluray to regular dvd format. the resolution just 480p/576p with Dolby Digital or DTS

not 720p/1080p with Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD.

I think the package just show bluray logo indeed it just dvd. They just rip from bluray to regular dvd format. the resolution just 480p/576p with Dolby Digital or DTS

not 720p/1080p with Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD.

No, they actually are proper blu-ray copies. I bought one the other day simply out of curiosity and what it basically is, is that they rip the higher quality 50 GB high bit-rate blurays and convert them to a lower bitrate and burn them to a 25GB bluray. The audio is untouched as far as I can tell, it retains the tracks the original bluray had. But depending on the movie you buy and where you buy it the quality does seem to vary. They are all in no doubt 1080p and all the special features do work. Think of it as DVD5 and DVD9 except now its BD25 and BD50.