Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

Let's try this again.

I will tell you where to get good Mexican Food.

1) Charlie Brown's. Suk Soi 11, first little alley on the left next to Subai Subai Massage. The Fajitas are especially good.

2) Bourbon Street - Tues night all you can eat buffet. Excellent value for money.

Then I am reminded by Mekong Kurt that Larry's Dive - Suk Soi 22 does good mexican.

Bon Appetite.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try this again.

I will tell you where to get good Mexican Food.

1) Charlie Brown's. Suk Soi 11, first little alley on the left next to Subai Subai Massage. The Fajitas are especially good.

2) Bourbon Street - Tues night all you can eat buffet. Excellent value for money.

Then I am reminded by Mekong Kurt that Larry's Dive - Suk Soi 22 does good mexican.

Bon Appetite.

It would be nice if you follow this up and add a poll. I nominate Sunrise.
Why is NONE OF THE ABOVE not an option? :o

Dr. B

Make sure Coyote's included on the poll also.
Since Dotcom started this, all those in favour of him doing up a proper poll say I (yes), (Get at it) (hurry Up)

I agree a poll is in order and a NONE OF THE ABOVE option should be included. I am dumbfounded that anyone would actually recommend the Mexican food at Charlie Brown's or Coyote. I like the atmosphere at both those places but you go to a restaurant for the food and the Mexican food at both Charlie Brown's and Coyote is awful in my humble opinion, but to each his own. Larry's Dive and Boubon Street both have some good items on the menu but none of those good items include the Mexican food. If I had to make a choice of which is best (which isn't saying much) I'd have to go with Sunrise.

Sunrise is ok but they have too many pesky flies.

It's not a poll.

Add your favorites & say why.

OK....

1.) I didn't notice any flies the times I've been in Sunrise. I wasn't impressed at all the first time I went there before they opened the newer larger venue across the parking lot. Each time I returned to the new restaurant the food was a little better than the time before so I give them credit for the effort at improving. Their burritos aren't half bad now and the staff has improved greatly too.

2.) Charlie Brown's uses what appears to be store boughten Old-EL Paso style taco shells. Usually stale and rubbery. They don't have real refried beans but serve Carribean black beans instead. If you order guacamole you get about a tablespoon's worth. Maybe two or three bites. Been there numerous times....always disapointed. Despite the bad food the staff has always been prompt and attentive so I give them a fair tip anyway.

3.) Coyote has a newer and trendier atmosphere than most others and the bar is good but whatever that is they're calling Mexican food is mysterious, bland and tasteless.

4.) Tia Maria's at the Rembrant puts a lot of sugar in their sauces which ruins it, no matter what you order.

5.) Have to admit I only ordered the tacos at Larry's once and I wasn't impressed. Kinda plain and bland. Besides, their ribs and burgers are pretty good so that's what I usually stick with.

6.) The Mexican buffet at Bourbon Street tastes like the food came out of a can or a frozen pre-prepared container. The steaks can be good if you hit it on a good night though. Make sure you order the New Zealand beef and not the local stuff. The local beef has a good flavor but it's as tough as boot leather.

Here's my prior take on this...

--Best Value for Mexican food - Sunrise Tacos, Sukhumvit Rd. Soi 12

--Best food at sit-down Mexican restaurant - Charlie Browns, Suk Soi 11

--Best fresh, kick-ass margarita - Mamacita's, Suk Soi 15 side-soi (don't even talk, until you've tried them).

--Best/broadest selection of flavored margaritas - Coyote, Soi Convent or Suk Soi 33.

--Best Mexican food buffet -- Bourbon Street on Tuesdays, Coyote on Fridays, or....????

--Hottest Salsa -- Sunrise Taco's John's Super-Super Hot....

--Best Choice for Mexican Regardless of the Hour -- Sunrise Tacos 24 hours delivery.

In short, there isn't any ONE clear winner. There are, rather, individual aspects of each of the various Mexican offerings in BKK that place them above their peers. There is no one single overall winner here, as yet. But I hope they all keep trying!!!

The question was "What is the best Mexican food in Bangkok". Maybe it is all bad but the question was " What is the best". It seems that some of the people replying don't understand the simple question asked. "What is the best in Bangkok". Maybe it is all bad but some is better than others. What is the best in Thailand? Simple question!!

Edited by JoeInSurin

Sunrise and Mexican Tartars (Khao San Road) are the best. Both are taqueria style and open 24 hours. Bourbon Street is nice on the buffet night because it is such a good value, but every other night of the week it is not worth going for Mexican food. Coyote is not good and is very overpriced. I don't care about Margaritas, it seems like everyone who likes that place goes for the drinks rather than the food. All of the pubs that serve Mexican, ie Woodstock, Larry's, etc are only average and I would prefer to order something else. I've never tried Charlie Brown's.

:D:o:D :D

Greg, the owner of Sunrise tries hard, he really does. The idea was taken from a place called Rubios in San Diego, and yep, the fish tacos aren't bad. Unfortunately, it's just plain old white bread style Mexican food for plain old white bread gringos. There is a habenero chile sauce in an innocuous bottle that Greg brought with him from the US... has to be the hottest thing outside of the real thing from Caracas, Venezuela. (I used to grow them, and be careful this stuff will ruin your evening!)

OK. If you guys are up for the game (If you clowns weren't adventurous you wouldn't be here right?): I don't know the name of this place, but it isn't bad (talk about picky? I am picky), not cheap, and the chili colorado is the best in Thailand certainly. Go to the Saladaeng BTS, go straight down Silom like you are headed for Patpong, keep going, turn right on Soi 6, go past BenTen massage, then turn left at the first corner. Look down at the end of the little dead end soi, and on the right you will see it. They have mariachis sometimes at night too. Best Mex I have found in Thailand, not just BKK. Try it, you will like it. Careful leaving the place, make sure to retrace your steps, heh!

I need to get my friends Juan, Guillermo, and Hermalinda over here, they know how to do a Mexican restaurant: used to own Cafe Merida in Tijuana, then the Pajaro Azul in Playa Del Carmen, they're much too rich to bother with it any more though dangit!

¡Para el ausente, el presente y para los que no podrían hacerlo! (Mexican drinking toast: "For the absent, the present and those who couldn't make it!") ¡Salud!

In short, there isn't any ONE clear winner...

I've tried them all (all more than one time) and they are all rubbish. There is nowhere to get decent 'Tex-Mex', 'Cal-Mex' or Mexican food in Bangkok.

Many moons ago (ten years) they used to have a Taco Bell here but that disappeared! :o

You mean Taco Time. It came at the same time as Popeye's, Long John Silver, Yoshinoya, and Wendy's. Only Popeye's lasted a reasonable amount of time. All of them were brought in by ICC PCL - a cosmetics company controlled by the Chokwatana family.

Taco Bell has never been in Thailand.

:D:o:D:D

Greg, the owner of Sunrise tries hard, he really does. The idea was taken from a place called Rubios in San Diego, and yep, the fish tacos aren't bad. Unfortunately, it's just plain old white bread style Mexican food for plain old white bread gringos. There is a habenero chile sauce in an innocuous bottle that Greg brought with him from the US... has to be the hottest thing outside of the real thing from Caracas, Venezuela. (I used to grow them, and be careful this stuff will ruin your evening!)

OK. If you guys are up for the game (If you clowns weren't adventurous you wouldn't be here right?): I don't know the name of this place, but it isn't bad (talk about picky? I am picky), not cheap, and the chili colorado is the best in Thailand certainly. Go to the Saladaeng BTS, go straight down Silom like you are headed for Patpong, keep going, turn right on Soi 6, go past BenTen massage, then turn left at the first corner. Look down at the end of the little dead end soi, and on the right you will see it. They have mariachis sometimes at night too. Best Mex I have found in Thailand, not just BKK. Try it, you will like it. Careful leaving the place, make sure to retrace your steps, heh!

I need to get my friends Juan, Guillermo, and Hermalinda over here, they know how to do a Mexican restaurant: used to own Cafe Merida in Tijuana, then the Pajaro Azul in Playa Del Carmen, they're much too rich to bother with it any more though dangit!

¡Para el ausente, el presente y para los que no podrían hacerlo! (Mexican drinking toast: "For the absent, the present and those who couldn't make it!") ¡Salud!

Been there, can't remember name either but will go back this weekend. Tiny. Smells funny like lard. Easy to get very drunk. Good.

In short, there isn't any ONE clear winner...

I've tried them all (all more than one time) and they are all rubbish. There is nowhere to get decent 'Tex-Mex', 'Cal-Mex' or Mexican food in Bangkok.

Many moons ago (ten years) they used to have a Taco Bell here but that disappeared! :o

You mean Taco Time. It came at the same time as Popeye's, Long John Silver, Yoshinoya, and Wendy's. Only Popeye's lasted a reasonable amount of time. All of them were brought in by ICC PCL - a cosmetics company controlled by the Chokwatana family.

Taco Bell has never been in Thailand.

The 1997 collapse of the baht wiped them all out. Some were doing quite well until then! :D

The 1997 collapse of the baht wiped them all out. Some were doing quite well until then! :o

Wasn't the collapse of the baht - all but Popeye's and Wendy's were long gone before the devaluation.

But Popeye's unfortunately wasn't going to survive because it tried to compete directly with KFC in malls (ie. Bangkapi) and its original location on Silom had too much competition from all sorts of food. They didn't try hard enough to differentiate themselves - they depended on the brand name to sell itself.

Chicken is tough going. Minor brought in Chicken Treat - which was eventually the reason why they gave up the Pizza Hut franchises but got Burger King. Chicken Treat was a miserable failure, way worse than Popeye - simply because they tried to compete against the food stalls!

Wendy's never expanded - I believe they had two locations at most. They could've survived solely on their location in MBK, but I guess the franchise fees were too steep to have only one location and they gave it up.

The one I miss the most is Yoshinoya - but beef being their main product was ultimately their downfall.

And, to get back on topic, I went to Taco Time frequently even though the food wasn't the greatest. But it was relatively cheap and never crowded so I never had any difficulty finding a seat :D

And, to get back on topic, I went to Taco Time frequently even though the food wasn't the greatest. But it was relatively cheap and never crowded so I never had any difficulty finding a seat

Probably why they didn't last, sad to say, I enjoyed them and Taco Bell although hardly Grade A mexican fare.

WHAT A DEPRESSING SUBJECT!! :o

I am from San Diego, the first thing I do when I land is find a Albertos Mexican joint and get a Carne Asada Burrito. There is no mexican food in Thailand unless you make it yourself. Taco Bell does not qualify as mexcian food, you don't find ground beef in mexican food. You want the best mexican food in Thailand? do like one of the contributers said and dream about it. Or do what I do and make it yourself, it may not be great but it wont be worse.

Thanks for letting me vent about my one true food passion.

The question was "What is the best Mexican food in Bangkok". Maybe it is all bad but the question was " What is the best". It seems that some of the people replying don't understand the simple question asked. "What is the best in Bangkok". Maybe it is all bad but some is better than others. What is the best in Thailand? Simple question!!

Thank you Joe. Finally someone that gets it.

Since the other thread got closed down it will slowly sink into oblivion. Newbies & tourists might want to know this information.

I forgot one. Great American Rib on Suk Soi 36 (sub soi 5) has a Mexican all-you-can-eat Buffet on Monday nights.

Also there is a tiny place inside TOPS market - Suk 55 (Thonglor) - Beside Burger King which has pretty good food.

Fish Tacos? Yeah another reason not to go there.

Forget the mexican food, slide up to Kanchanburi to the excellant INDIAN restaurant on the road that leds up to the bridge, if its still there the little Indian dude in there can cook up a real good feed. I cant remember the name of it but its near one of the 7elevens on that road....THAT Kinda narrows it down :o

Forget the mexican food, slide up to Kanchanburi to the excellant INDIAN restaurant on the road that leds up to the bridge, if its still there the little Indian dude in there can cook up a real good feed. I cant remember the name of it but its near one of the 7elevens on that road....THAT Kinda narrows it down :o

Why don't you start an INDIAN food thread if you feel up to it, as you can see this is MEXICAN food related topic.

I suggest you combine your INDIAN food thread with that one in the Bangkok forum about fortune tellers / lucky charmers or whatever for fuller affect.

Back to MEX food, I find that making my own is a good way (but not cheap) to ensure I get as much toppings, quality, sour cream, good tomatoes / chillies etc.

J Chandler & I are Bourbon Street last night. They were on top of their game. They do a roaring trade in expat residents.

Sorry to be lazy as I know it's been mentioned before, but without trawling through the old thread, where is Bourbon Street exactly?

Bourbon Street is right behind the Mambo Cabaret theater between Sukhumvit Soi 22 and 24, accessible via the Phrom Phong BTS Station.

The Tuesday night Mexican buffet is 295++ baht.... They have a very broad selection of OK choices, and the buffet begins at 6 pm and runs until 10 pm, as I recall. It is, however, still buffet food and not quite the same as cooked-to-order Mexican meals.

http://www.bourbonstbkk.com/bourbon_st_map.html