Best Mexican Food In Bangkok

dotcom

I have to give Senor Pico (as mentioned above) a try, but to be frank, I have not been able to find anything even approaching true Mexican or even TexMex food in Thailand. To my tastes, the Thai approximations of Mexican food don't even taste good. (A local version can taste good in its own right, such as Bostonian Italian food--not really Italian, but pretty darn tastey.)

I leave for Chicago this week where I will fill myself on steak and all things beef (with maybe a couple hotdogs thrown in), then it is off to San Diego for three days where I will dine splendidly on Mexican food.

Do any Bangkok stores even sell decent tortillas? I can make a nice carne asada or fajitas even with the beef here, so if I could get decent tortillas, I could make an adequate Mexican taco-type meal.

Seeing as your going to be in San Diego, pick up a few dozen Guerrero brand tortillas, and then stop by smart and final and get a gallon of salsa tapatio. That should take care of your cravings for a while when you return. It is amazing how just good tortillas and some good mexican salsa makes a huge difference.

At the risk of sliding off-topic, can you store tortillas somehow?  When in San Diego, I always buy fresh tortillas made that day.  But can I bring back a whole passel of them and store them by freezing or something?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give Senor Pico (as mentioned above) a try, but to be frank, I have not been able to find anything even approaching true Mexican or even TexMex food in Thailand. To my tastes, the Thai approximations of Mexican food don't even taste good. (A local version can taste good in its own right, such as Bostonian Italian food--not really Italian, but pretty darn tastey.)

I leave for Chicago this week where I will fill myself on steak and all things beef (with maybe a couple hotdogs thrown in), then it is off to San Diego for three days where I will dine splendidly on Mexican food.

Do any Bangkok stores even sell decent tortillas? I can make a nice carne asada or fajitas even with the beef here, so if I could get decent tortillas, I could make an adequate Mexican taco-type meal.

Seeing as your going to be in San Diego, pick up a few dozen Guerrero brand tortillas, and then stop by smart and final and get a gallon of salsa tapatio. That should take care of your cravings for a while when you return. It is amazing how just good tortillas and some good mexican salsa makes a huge difference.

At the risk of sliding off-topic, can you store tortillas somehow? When in San Diego, I always buy fresh tortillas made that day. But can I bring back a whole passel of them and store them by freezing or something?

bonobo, yes freeze them in zip loc bags in small portions, as many as you need per serving, spray a little water into the bag before freezing, dehydration is a problem, thaw in the fridge the day of use. Sorry to get off topic, however I've never found good Mexican food in bkk, its just a logistical thing with ingredients.

I can assure you that the food (Fajitas) at Charlie Brown are more than acceptable.

J Chandler has eaten Mexican at my house.

If you don't mind flies Sunrise is just OK.

Bourbon Street on a Tues night is good value for money.

For the rest of you sad losers that can't find it go get a plate of Paad Krapow.

The Nachos Supreme (with meat, etc.) at Charley Brown's are particularly good and a very large, meal size portion.

Their margaritas are nicely prepared also, though they pretty much focus only on the traditional flavor...not much in the way of exotic alternatives...

Their menu isn't the largest/broadest in terms of many choices. But it's an amiable place and has prices more reasonable than Coyote by and large....

Only downside is, Charley Brown's is closed for lunch during the week, and only open for lunch hours during Sat and Sunday. Rest of the week, I think, they don't open until 5:30 pm or so....

bonobo, yes freeze them in zip loc bags in small portions, as many as you need per serving, spray a little water into the bag before freezing, dehydration is a problem, thaw in the fridge the day of use. Sorry to get off topic, however I've never found good Mexican food in bkk, its just a logistical thing with ingredients.

THanks. I'll give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...
WHAT A DEPRESSING SUBJECT!! :o

I am from San Diego, the first thing I do when I land is find a Albertos Mexican joint and get a Carne Asada Burrito. There is no mexican food in Thailand unless you make it yourself. Taco Bell does not qualify as mexcian food, you don't find ground beef in mexican food. You want the best mexican food in Thailand? do like one of the contributers said and dream about it. Or do what I do and make it yourself, it may not be great but it wont be worse.

Thanks for letting me vent about my one true food passion.

Was that Albertos, Robertos, Alibertos, Robertinos, Bertos, Bertinos, Alibertinos... I lived on Coronado for a few years and still get a laugh out of all the variations on the original Robertos. I was just in Sunland, north of LA and had to take a jpg of an "Alibierto's" and send it to a friend in SD. But you're right, the carne asada with guak and sauce, classic. I'm in Thai till '09 and that'll be on my mind till then (thanks!?), but actually the red sauce and tacos at El Cuervo in Hillcrest is what I dream of... Nice to read about something from home...

WHAT A DEPRESSING SUBJECT!! :o

I am from San Diego, the first thing I do when I land is find a Albertos Mexican joint and get a Carne Asada Burrito. There is no mexican food in Thailand unless you make it yourself. Taco Bell does not qualify as mexcian food, you don't find ground beef in mexican food. You want the best mexican food in Thailand? do like one of the contributers said and dream about it. Or do what I do and make it yourself, it may not be great but it wont be worse.

Thanks for letting me vent about my one true food passion.

Was that Albertos, Robertos, Alibertos, Robertinos, Bertos, Bertinos, Alibertinos... I lived on Coronado for a few years and still get a laugh out of all the variations on the original Robertos. I was just in Sunland, north of LA and had to take a jpg of an "Alibierto's" and send it to a friend in SD. But you're right, the carne asada with guak and sauce, classic. I'm in Thai till '09 and that'll be on my mind till then (thanks!?), but actually the red sauce and tacos at El Cuervo in Hillcrest is what I dream of... Nice to read about something from home...

post-10677-1227421239_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I give the new Mamacitas a thumbs up.

This Mexican Restaurant is owned and operated by a Miss Bee from Singapore.

Miss Bee lived in Mexico, knows her stuff and keeps her kitchen spotless too.

She has some unique items on her menu that you will not see at the other Mexican eateries.

Lately, I have enjoyed her chicken tacos, chimichangas and burritos. Often she will present you with a small taste of some special she has prepared, like the savory eggplant dish I tried last week. Yummy.

She is also available to cater parties with her Mexican dishes.

It is a small shop with 4 or 5 tables.

Located on Sukhumvit Soi 15, behind the Dream Hotel. Easy walk from Sukhumvit Rd.

Give her a visit. You'll be glad you did.

Re Mamacitas, as I've previously reviewed here, Bee makes some of the BEST freshly prepared margaritas I've ever had...in any country... And quite reasonably priced for a litre pitcher.

One pitcher, shared with a lady, left me woozy walking home... and I'm a big guy... Freshly squeezed limes.... no pre-prepared sugary margarita mixes here... YUMMY!!!

I was pleasantly surprised to see chilaquiles on the menu at both Mamacitas and Tacos & Salsa.

I was disappointed in the way they prepared the dish at both places. Soggy, missing ingredients, strange tasteless fluffy white piped stuff on top. Whoever made the dishes had absolutely no clue to the best hangover food next to menudo.

I find it hard to believe the owner of Tacos & Salsa is Mexican, as their salsas are about the most inauthentic of any "Mexican" restaurant in Bangkok, being akin to baby food. Their tacos and burritos are very tasty, however.

Tacos and Salsa for quick bite, good value for money. The owner indeed is Mexican.

Senor Pico aint bad as well for "proper" dinner, like it much more than Coyote.

Maybe these and other places are not authentic or not the same as back in US but then the topic is "best mexican food in bangkok". Most posters reminds me of punch of Italians i met in Africa years back spending most of their day complaining how the pizza was is not even close to what their mama used to do back in Napoli... :D

Edit: And still they had the same pizza every day :o

Edited by MJo

• 4 weeks later...

So tonight being a Sunday I decided to have dinner at T&S.

WOW.

Impressed.

Jorge is working the kinks out fast. I decided to have the special #2, tacos wtih fried rice & beans. YUM. I guess I waited 5 minutes till my entree was served.

It was delicious. I have the chicken. Very moist & tender. I had a side of guac & chips. Very very good. The refritos were awesome - they have ground beef or pork & taste fabulous.

Sorry to miss you Jorge. The staff tonight were doing a great job.

A fellow TV boarder had some trouble to park his car. Please try to arrange off street parking. Thanks & Best of Luck.

ChefsXp says you are coming soon. Arriba.

I got a question for onethailand or anyone who knows.

When you order a burrito at Sunset Tacos it comes out nicely wrapped. But the flour tortilla is semi-opaque. Why is that? I like my tortilla white & dry (soft & fluffy) too of course.

I got to get back to Charlie Browns - prolly go with the fajitas though - hard to screw that up.

I find it hard to believe the owner of Tacos & Salsa is Mexican, as their salsas are about the most inauthentic of any "Mexican" restaurant in Bangkok, being akin to baby food.

I think perhaps you don't understand what authentic Mexico city style salsas are like. Mexico City style salsas are indeed in a pureed form like baby food. These salsas shown here are from Mexico City. I haven't yet been to T&S, they don't have the chunky salsa fresca as an option? Not that I would care if they had good Mexico city salsas.

post-37101-1233854414_thumb.jpg

T&S serves three salsas with every dish. Two are 'milled' (molida) salsas such as those in Jingthing's photo. One is a salsa fresca, which is chopped relatively fine. Not milled, but only slightly chunky. It is excellent. In Mexico the salsa fresca, more commonly called salsa casera (house salsa), can come in many textures, included pureed.

I've eaten chilaquiles all over Mexico - maybe in 15 or 18 out of the 26 states - and the chilaquiles served at T&S is very typical, other than the fact it's served with sour cream instead of crema. The totopos (tortilla chips) in chilaquiles always soften when cooking. I've never seen a crisp version, don't see how it would be possible given the salsa-soaking they receive :o. Perhaps Uros hasn't been past the border towns.

I tried Sunrise Tacos the other day. I was in the mood to stuff myself on some good Mexican food. The super nachos and the platter with three tacos did the trick, for me. The service was good , and the food was very tasty. Went away with a nice feeling of having had a good meal. I will go back for sure. :o

Charlies (suk 11) last night was pretty average for the fajitas - chicken was very bland. Refried beans were good though, and the pitcher of sangria was awesome. Still suffering from that now!

Tapas Cafe, next door, makes a delicious fruit sangria and has a two-for-one happy hour special for all their sizes of sangria... But I didn't know that Charlie Browns Mexican place nearby also has a sangria on their menu??? Their margaritas are nice, though not quite to the level or extent of Coyotes... But I'd think the sangria at Tapas Cafe is hard to beat both in terms of flavor and price...particularly at Happy Hour.

• 2 months later...
OK. If you guys are up for the game (If you clowns weren't adventurous you wouldn't be here right?): I don't know the name of this place, but it isn't bad (talk about picky? I am picky), not cheap, and the chili colorado is the best in Thailand certainly. Go to the Saladaeng BTS, go straight down Silom like you are headed for Patpong, keep going, turn right on Soi 6, go past BenTen massage, then turn left at the first corner. Look down at the end of the little dead end soi, and on the right you will see it. They have mariachis sometimes at night too. Best Mex I have found in Thailand, not just BKK. Try it, you will like it. Careful leaving the place, make sure to retrace your steps, heh!

OK... well, being here in Thailand almost 3 years now had me in starvation mode for real mexican food... so... since Sala Daeng is easy for me to get to, I thought I'd give this place a try... and here were the results.

Simpler directions would be... it's at the end of Silom, Soi 8. It's called El Gourdo's. You can see it from Silom Road.

Arrived about 6:30 pm... 7 tables inside, I was the only customer. I ordered a custom combo item, being an enchilada (Thai beef, natch!) and a Chili Relleno. This has always been my standard test (of a cook/kitchen) fare, since it's somewhat challenging to create and cook these two items. Naturally, the Thai waiter informed me that this wasn't an official "combo" selection from the menu... and I had to run the... "co jai, co jai, co jai, but this is what I WANT" routine on him, and he got confirmation from the cook, who was sitting at one of the tables. She could have been Thai or Mexican, I don't know... The menu suggested that this would cost 230 baht, and would include fried rice and refried beans.

I also ordered a regular margarita, which rang in for 150 baht, I believe...

Waited a LONG time, then finally got the margarita, worked through the language barrier to convey that I wanted 6 lime slices on the side, to add to my drink. (It makes for a very dry margarita, which I love.) I finally got the lime slices, but no stirrer, so had to ask separately for that... which arrived in the form of a straw.

I couldn't detect any tequila in the margarita, but it tasted ok.

Finally (probably 25 minutes after ordering, the food arrived. The portions were about 1/2 of what I would have been served in the states.

The chili relleno was something that looked deep fried, (quite possibly frozen preprepared) but, like most things deep fried, it tasted OK, as did the enchilada. The small portions of rice and refried beans were absolute heaven, in the sense of properly activating all the fond memories of mexican food...

A couple bites in, and I realized something was missing... of course, NO CHIPS! So I asked the waiter for some chips, please... This added another 15 minute delay to the meal, and unbeknownst to me at the time... added another 100 Baht to the bill!!!

When the chips finally arrived, I didn't recognize them as anything I had ever seen, in my lifetime. Instead of hard corn chips... these were some sort of deep fried crunchy things, sort of like the consistency of fruit loops kind of cereal. But, surprisingly, (well, it WAS deep fried, after all) it tasted "OK", especially when ladened with either of the two salsas that were supplied with the chips.

This DID turn out to be the vital missing ingredient missing from the meal... and I proceeded to slowly lavish myself on this concoction of a meal, for as long as I could...

Halfway through the meal, I ordered a second margarita. Test of the waiter... (especially since I was the ONLY customer, during my 75 minute stay there...) would he remember to include the 6 lime slices for the second drink? DUH!!! Of course NOT! Would he remember that I needed a stirrer for my drink? Of course NOT!!! My pinkie sufficed, at this point... God.... I couldn't detect any tequila in this drink, either.

During my meal, as I mentioned above... I was the only customer, and yes, I WAS bothered, for a while, by a pesky fly, even though I was indoors. The outdoors patio had been taken over by a Thai sidewalk restaurant, with a couple tables, which was doing decent business (Thai customers). This probably provided the sustenance income for the restaurant.

Towards the end of my meal, this Thai man came in, and in very slow motion walked around a bit, wiping his mouth... eventually picked up the guitar in the corner, took the cover off it, checked the tuning, I think, then set it down again, proceeding to just look out the window.

NOT what you would call an inspiring mood-setting, more like a bad dream, but then again, TIT, so... not really that unusual, eh?

But the shocker of the event came when I got my bill... 700 BAHT for this obviously mediocre meal.

Teaching English to Thais being my job, my livelihood, and my only source of income, I have to relate this expense to the time I spent teaching, to earn this... and that equated to about 2 and a half hours of working.

Chalk this up to "research" expense.

I was often reminded, during this meal, of the advice here on TV, that the best Mexican meal to be had in Thailand existed in our dreams...

Perhaps this is true, but it's not going to stop me exploring the other possibilities, around the Sukhumvit area...

Pawpcorn

Did you try the Tacos and Salsa place on Soi 18?

There is a whole thread dedicated to it on here. Maybe back one page by now.

Hi, bkkjames... you are referring to the Sukhumvit Soi 18, right?

I'm planning on checking out Sukhumvit this coming week, and I'll make this the first on the list!

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction.

Pawpcorn

I'm planning on checking out Sukhumvit this coming week, and I'll make this the first on the list!

Pawpcorn

I am really looking forward to trying Tacos and Salsa.........apparently it is owned by a guy named Jorge who is from Mexico, so he likely knows what real Mexican food tastes like. T&S is supposedly serving tamales now. I want tamales, cheese enchilada, beans and rice........getting hungry. Hope it is as good as it is being portrayed. It would be nice to have just one decent Mexican food place in Thailand (and no, I have yet to eat at Miguel's in CM but people do say it is good).

Pawpcorn

I am really looking forward to trying Tacos and Salsa.........apparently it is owned by a guy named Jorge who is from Mexico, so he likely knows what real Mexican food tastes like. T&S is supposedly serving tamales now. I want tamales, cheese enchilada, beans and rice........getting hungry. Hope it is as good as it is being portrayed. It would be nice to have just one decent Mexican food place in Thailand (and no, I have yet to eat at Miguel's in CM but people do say it is good).

Hi JR

My name is Jorge Bernal Marquez, from Mexico City and I am the owner of Tacos & Salsa

www.myspace.com/jorgenewmac69

And I am looking forward to meet you at the Tacos & Salsa,

I will have the tamales available for the "5 de Mayo" (Fifth of May) as well as "Pozole" as special for the day, but may be I can have it available in the regular menu soon, after we finalise our plan of expansion.

Actually we are looking to move out location to a new located in between soi 22 and the Queen's park next to emporium

But I will all keep you advice of such move.

Have a nice week

Saludos

Jorge B

Pawpcorn

Hi JR

My name is Jorge Bernal Marquez, from Mexico City and I am the owner of Tacos & Salsa

www.myspace.com/jorgenewmac69

And I am looking forward to meet you at the Tacos & Salsa,

I will have the tamales available for the "5 de Mayo" (Fifth of May) as well as "Pozole" as special for the day, but may be I can have it available in the regular menu soon, after we finalise our plan of expansion.

Actually we are looking to move out location to a new located in between soi 22 and the Queen's park next to emporium

But I will all keep you advice of such move.

Have a nice week

Saludos

Jorge B

Hola Jorge,

Espero reunión usted y comiendo alimento mexicano. La buena suerte con su nueva ubicación.

Mejores deseos,

Tejas JR

Hi.......good to hear from you. Sorry about the Spanish.....could not resist.......probably makes no sense.

Tamales on the 5th of May......maybe I can make it.

But I don't come to Bangkok often because I live about 5 hrs away.

I hope your new location works out......."between soi 22 and the Queen's park next to Emporium."

I am hungry for some good Mexican food.

Best wishes,

JR Texas

Hello, I would like to qualify my tastes as simple to start. I have been to Coyote's many times and enjoy the food, but it is a little boring. The good thing is that the food comes to you at a hot temperature, and there is a very large selection of margaritas. It does cost more than many other places, but I have never been sick from eating there. You get a lot of food for the money, and the margaritas are made with ice in a blender that are splendid. Maybe I will try a couple of the other places mentioned in this thread because there are not many ways for these restaurants to advertise, and I like a good adventure.

Cheers