BANGKOK 25 April 2019 07:32
Sign in to follow this  
Smithson

Effective Micro-organisms

A few weeks ago we visited a farmer who was making his own organic liquid fertilizer. I'm not sure of the exact details, but from what the guy was saying it seems rotting produce/organic matter is put into a blue barrel, then left for a while. When it is partly decomposed two substances are added. One is called 'GM' and the other 'Gut Numtarn' (?? sugar).

The containers are then sealed and the organic fertilizer is created.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I know it's really vague, but things are never clear in LOS. It looked very interesting.

A few weeks ago we visited a farmer who was making his own organic liquid fertilizer. I'm not sure of the exact details, but from what the guy was saying it seems rotting produce/organic matter is put into a blue barrel, then left for a while. When it is partly decomposed two substances are added. One is called 'GM' and the other 'Gut Numtarn' (?? sugar).

The containers are then sealed and the organic fertilizer is created.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? I know it's really vague, but things are never clear in LOS. It looked very interesting.

Dear SS,

They use banana and a number of other fruits with high sugar levels and the fermented liquid is then diluted for a range of uses from tonics to fertiliser. Bit like brewing beer, can explode depending on the sugar added.

If you want a simple organic liquid fertiliser then you can make it by putting raw manure in a drum of water give it a mix and wait until it decomposes a bit and some of the pathogens are gone. Keeping the air out :o is the trick to get rid of the nasties and make the nitrogen content more useful. My Dad used to keep a drum of water with cow shit in it in the corner of his vegie garden and just ladle a bit out when needed. His wasn't that scientific simply keep the manure content stable and the drum full of water with the lid on.

With the fruit versions there is quite a bit of web material on it. One I can remember from Cambodia which was also used to reduce the smell in pigsites as well as a fertiliser.

Isaanaussie

You can also get liquid fertiliser via a vermicompost or vermiculture bed. The liquid effluent (dark brown) that drains out the bottom of a raised worm bed is good stuff. Dilute with water again. Just watch the water level in the bed is not too high as the worms and the compost will suffer. Again plenty of info on the web.

Isaanaussie

They make that type of fertilizer here in Loei. The finished product is a clear dark green colored liguid. I don't know how they make it. My wife says they use the effluent left over after making methane from hog manure. Sugar cane is also a big part of it.

They make that type of fertilizer here in Loei. The finished product is a clear dark green colored liguid. I don't know how they make it. My wife says they use the effluent left over after making methane from hog manure. Sugar cane is also a big part of it.

Correct Gary about the biodigester effluent. The liquid fraction is a great fertiliser both for crops as well as fish feeding. The solids get dried as treated manure or used as worm bedding material and then the castings are used as potting mix. The liquids from the worm beds I mentioned above.

I believe the liquid fractions can also be used in aquaculture.

isaanaussie

Thanks for the info. We had a lot of Som O (Thai grapefruit?) fallen from trees and rotting on the ground. The guy who is looking after our land suggested collecting them to make this liquid. I thought they would be too acidic, but have given it a go. I've also added some other weeds from the garden, but nothing with fruit.

Do you think this will work or is there too little sugar? Also, the area we have them in is difficult to make air tight, could this be a problem?

Any links on the composting technique or info on where to buy the 'dark green liquid' would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the info. We had a lot of Som O (Thai grapefruit?) fallen from trees and rotting on the ground. The guy who is looking after our land suggested collecting them to make this liquid. I thought they would be too acidic, but have given it a go. I've also added some other weeds from the garden, but nothing with fruit.

Do you think this will work or is there too little sugar? Also, the area we have them in is difficult to make air tight, could this be a problem?

Any links on the composting technique or info on where to buy the 'dark green liquid' would be much appreciated.

Below is the only formula I can find, thought I had kept others but cannot find the notes. This one is used for sanitising pig deep litter in Cambodia or Laos. As far as I know it is the same.

The formula is simple: 10kg fruit to 10kg brown sugar. This is the so called "Father Formula". A slightly less efficacious mixture is the "Mother Formula". This is 10kg of vegetables to 3kg brown sugar.

The formula is best made with fruit picked in the morning. As the heat of the day progresses, the fruit bacteria would escape to the soil. The fruit is not washed so that the natural bacteria remains on the skin which is included.

The mixture is left in a cool place to fermant for a period of 12-15 days. At this stage the fermented liquid can be mixed with water: 2 dessert spoons to 10 litres of water. The fermented liquid feed can then be transferred into plastic bottles leaving a gap of 4" at the top to allow for gas expansion. If when the bottle is opened, there is no "fizz", more sugar needs to be added.

The mixture can be kept for up to 2 years. Pastor Kae-Nu brews a new batch every 6 months to meet the needs of his own farm.

Most Efficacious in Every Case

Apparently the benefits of the "Pig Potion" are not limited to pigs. Other benefits include:

Insect repellent for use on plants, crops and even on humans

Stops the toilet smelling when mixed with the water in the cistern

Improves excema and skin conditions when mixed with bath water

Aids digestion in humans (Pastor Kae-Nu averted the need for surgery which he could not afford by taking a thimble-full a day)

HI Aussie

"�� Insect repellent for use on plants, crops and even on humans

�� Stops the toilet smelling when mixed with the water in the cistern

�� Improves excema and skin conditions when mixed with bath water

�� Aids digestion in humans (Pastor Kae-Nu averted the need for surgery which he could not afford by taking a thimble-full a day)"

these lines sound like you're describing Neem. :o

HI Aussie

"�� Insect repellent for use on plants, crops and even on humans

�� Stops the toilet smelling when mixed with the water in the cistern

�� Improves excema and skin conditions when mixed with bath water

�� Aids digestion in humans (Pastor Kae-Nu averted the need for surgery which he could not afford by taking a thimble-full a day)"

these lines sound like you're describing Neem. :o

Gungadin,

Probably true. Anything to knock the edge off pig urine smells is worth a look. My plans have been developing for a number of years and there are now a few "closer than I would like" sty neighbours. I am putting in a sprinkler system for the pigs (cooling and piss dilution) and will try this pig potion in that water.

IA

A recipe sent to me by chevykanteve:

Do you ever use EM fertilizer? That stuff works magic for fruit trees, vegetabes and flowers. Here's how I make it:

1. Containing vessel: standard size cement caisson with the bottom part cemented in to render watertight.

2. Cover: sheet plastic, sort of like a tear-proof transparent paper. Keeps gases inside and prevents --or at least mitigates against -- spawning of mosquitoes.

3. The "Recipe":

a. 30-40 buckets of water

b. 2 buckets of buffalo or cow manure (dried or partly dried, though fresh stuff works!!)

c. At least 1/2 bucket of kitchen vegetable waste (good opportunity to clean out the refrigerator

of forgotten onions and things like that)

d. 6-8 capfuls of EM (one bottle of the stuff costs about 90 baht nowadays)

e. About 1/10th liter of nam oi (viscous sugarcane liquid available from the same stores that

sell the EM.

f. Stir briskly for a minute or two (avoid advice from others who insist it should be shaken and

not stirred -- some chap named Bond keeps posting that advice)

g. Affix the plastic cover and wait at least 3 weeks.

h. Serve on your plants!

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

This stuff works very well and is cheap and relatively easy to find...

Thanks a lot for the pic, the stuff looks interesting. What do you use it for?

I checked out the website it's here There is info on the use for different livestock, aquaculture, pigs and composting, as well as a recipe for the fertilizer.

This stuff actually looks like microorganism (bacteria) used to help organic matter break down. Helping convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate (or something like that).

The green container with the animal pics (marked HORMONES), what do you use this for?

I THINK the stuff on left is organic waste from pigs, fish, chickens etc. It MIGHT be identical to the other product, I've been using it as a secondary fertilizer. I use at half-strength and never burned the plants or had probs. The website for this product doesn't work (too bad -- I would like to know more about it). I wrote "hormones" on the bottle by mistake, it's really micro-nutes and good stuff. I don't know NPK of it though.

The other is indeed beneficial bacteria. I mix it into cocopeat with Azomite, wormcastings, bat guano before introducing seedlings and clones. Good stuff also. Again, I don't know the NPK. Thanks for the website...now I can read what's really in the stuff :o

This lady has both products at her shop in Chatuchak Park:

Khun Wasana # 02 618 3660

Edited by kloghead

Seen as it's commonly referred to as EM, this is probably a genetic version of the trademarked product Effective Microorganisms. The wiki link to this is very interesting, seems to be a bit of a miracle product, not much has been proven, although it's benefits for composting seem certain.

Yesterday I bought some Efficient Organisms, it came with several recipes for composting, including a '24 hr Compost' as well as a recipe for an organic insect spray. If anyone would like more info on the recipes, pls PM.