Shiny, Glossy Or Flat Dull Lcd Computer Displays

PattayaDavid

I've been looking at purchasing a 24" LCD computer display for a while now, but they have in the past been slow to arrive in Thailand.  I am presently using a 22" Samsung 226BW which has the flat dull non-reflective finish and I have been very satisfied with it thus far.  

I've never really paid any attention to the shiny, glossy reflective style displays, but I was at Tukcom yesterday and saw the HP w2448hc for sale.  It was on display, but it was not connected and the screen the foam packing protection had yet to be removed.  I think I have a bias towards the flat dull LCD as both my desktop and notebook computers have this design, but I would like to get opinions from you as to the pros and cons of the shiny, glossy reflective design LCD displays as compared to the flat, dull non-reflective design, also which of the two styles you prefer.

Thanks,

pattayadavid

PS.  Are there other 24" displays available in Thailand that you think are better quality?

It depends a lot on your uses and the environment you use your pc in. Eye fatigue can be caused by a frequent shift from focusing on the screen itself to the reflected image, so gloss screens can be worse in that regard. However, if you have a environment that's not too bright and the screen is not facing windows, etc. then you will get deeper blacks and potentially better colors on a gloss screen.

I'm near sighted and tend to prefer gloss screens since i'm not focused on the distant reflections anyway... :o I'm also working in graphics apps a lot, so that sways my opinion as well.

My laptop has a glossy screen and the second monitor connected to it a dull one....so I see the difference day in day out.

The glossy screen produces much brighter colours. The reflections are only visible if you use the laptop in plain sunlight...when the dull screen is almost not readable either. Just crank up the display brightness and that copes very well with the reflections on my 20,000 Baht Acer Laptop.

I am working in digital imaging/pre-press. A few years ago it was unthinkable to work with something which was not bearing the name "Apple".

In the meantime our color corrections/proof is mixed 50% Acer and Sony and 50% Apple.

We use glossy and dull which is sometimes job dependent. Personally I prefer glossy screen.

If you want a clear display and a reasonable priced 24' monitor, try Acer. You will not be disappointed or regret the purchase.

We use Acer for color corrections!

Edited by webfact

The annoyance of constantly seeing your own or other reflections in glossy screens soon becomes more than irritating, constantly adjusting your viewing angle to try to mitigate reflections and forever cleaning fingerprints.

Glossy screens came about with the advent of wide-screen 16:9 aspect panels, primarily designed for letter-box DVD viewing on laps and pc's, which were increasing becoming media and gaming machines.

Unless you're graphics intensive and need accurate color rendition I stick with a matt screen, :o

Edited by cobra

I also have a laptop (Acer) with the glossy screen, and can't say it is a problem. But I very seldom use it in bright conditions.

Indoor use only, and I must say it creates a very colorful vibrant image. No complaints from me...

Several people asked me if it was a problem (each time people wanting to buy an Acer laptop, they only seem to do glossy screens), each time I told them not to worry about it, and all have been happy with them.

I have the HP 2448hc. I am very happy with it..it also has audio and a camera included in the screen..if you are into that sort of thing.

It's good to see a post from someone who actually owns and uses the HP 2448hc display.  A lot of people state that the glossy displays are best for viewing DVD movies and working with graphics and photo editing due to their color rendition qualities.  I don't think that reflection will be much of a factor for me because I will be using it in my home office that has no windows in back of me. Do you experience any reflection problems from overhead lighting?  Can you elaborate a bit as to how you primarily use your monitor?  My main concern is with general text rendering.  I use my computer primarily for working with documents, financials, use with programs such as Quicken, email and web surfing.  Does this display provide the same quality of rich crisp text that is normally experienced with a matte finished display?  

Have you used matte finished displays before and how does this display compare to them?  I currently use a matte finish 22" Samsung LCD.  In your opinion, do you think that the HP 2448hc would be a significate upgrade to the Samsung?

Checking the Thai websites and HP brochures, I have come across two other 24" HP LCD displays, the older model HP LP2465 and the newer model LP2475w, both with matte displays, but more expensive than the 2448hc due to their use of more high tech display technology such as S-IPS ver TN used in the 2448hc.  These two models are better suited for business and work stations as they don't have some of the connections and web cam as on the 2448hc which is better suited for home use.  

If you had it to do over again, would you still purchase the HP 2448hc?  Where can it be purchased and for how much?

Sorry for asking so much of you; I understand if you choose not to reply.

Thanks,

Pattayadavid

Yes it is a definite upgrade to the samsung. I think the actual size of the screen is 23 inches though, but it is still a definite change. I use it in a windowless room with no overhead lights, therefore have encountered no reflection whatsoever. I primarily use the screen for music editing, surfing, high end games and photo editing. So far, so good. The only negative aspect I have encountered is the software that comes with it....I can not seem to access it through the program but can manually through the screen. It is plug and play. It also has Hdmi plug in if required and the screen can be pivoted vertically if needed.

edited:additional information

I got mine as part of a package set up in tukcom....I believe the store name was Pattaya4U towards the back right hand corner as you are coming off the escalator. You can always negotiate their prices...they also have a website..shop name + dot com.

Edited by pluto_manibo

I am working in digital imaging/pre-press. A few years ago it was unthinkable to work with something which was not bearing the name "Apple".

In the meantime our color corrections/proof is mixed 50% Acer and Sony and 50% Apple.

We use glossy and dull which is sometimes job dependent. Personally I prefer glossy screen.

If you want a clear display and a reasonable priced 24' monitor, try Acer. You will not be disappointed or regret the purchase.

Thank you for your reply.  I've only seen the HP 2448hc in the stores thus far, but I will look into the Acer and Sony models.  By the way, is the Apple monitor glossy or matte?  How about the Acer and Sony models?  Could you list some model numbers of the 24 inch glossy and matte screened monitors that you use and like?  I like the way that the HP monitor stand offers both vertical and tilt adjustments as well as 90 degree rotation for portrait viewing, however as stated in my original post, I am concerned as to it's use of a glossy screen.

One of my concerns is that I have read that a lot of people state that the glossy displays are best for viewing DVD movies and working with graphics and photo editing due to their color rendition qualities. I don't think that reflection will be much of a factor for me because I will be using it in my home office that has no windows in back of me, however I do use overhead lighting at night.  Do you experience any reflection problems from overhead lighting?

My main concern is with general text rendering. I use my computer primarily for working with documents, financials, use with programs such as Quicken, Microsoft Office 2007, email and web surfing such as the Thai Visa website and viewing videos such as those on YouTube when it works over here.  Does the glossy display provide the same quality of rich crisp text that is normally experienced with a matte finished display?

What do you find to be the significant differences between the matte and glossy finish displays?  pros and cons? 

While checking the Thai websites, in addition to the HP 2448hc, I have come across two other 24" HP LCD displays, the older model HP LP2465 and the newer model LP2475w, both with matte displays, but more expensive than the 2448hc due to their use of more high tech display technology such as S-IPS versus TN used in the 2448hc. These two models are better suited for business and work stations as they don't have some of the connections and web cam as on the 2448hc which is supposedly better suited for home use.

Does the Acer and Sony models that you use in your office use the TN display technology or do they use one of the higher performace display technologies?  

My 22 inch Samsung also uses the TN display and works well when I am viewing from directly in front of it, but if I move off center, especially vertically, it darkens rather quickly.  Display technologies such as S-IPS and PVA provide approximately 178 deg viewing both horizontally and vertically providing a better and more uniform brightness balance across the display.

As stated, I currently use a matte finish 22" Samsung LCD.  In your opinion, do you think that a 24 inch display such as the HP or Acer models would be a significate and worthwhile upgrade to the 22 inch Samsung?

Thank you,

Pattayadavid

My HP notebook has a matt screen and so does my Samsung 32" LCD TV.

I am very happy with both. :D

From what I have seen these shiny screens are good in low light, but awful

if you have any light behind you. :o

Thank you for your reply. I've only seen the HP 2448hc in the stores thus far, but I will look into the Acer and Sony models. By the way, is the Apple monitor glossy or matte? How about the Acer and Sony models? Could you list some model numbers of the 24 inch glossy and matte screened monitors that you use and like? I like the way that the HP monitor stand offers both vertical and tilt adjustments as well as 90 degree rotation for portrait viewing, however as stated in my original post, I am concerned as to it's use of a glossy screen.

One of my concerns is that I have read that a lot of people state that the glossy displays are best for viewing DVD movies and working with graphics and photo editing due to their color rendition qualities. I don't think that reflection will be much of a factor for me because I will be using it in my home office that has no windows in back of me, however I do use overhead lighting at night. Do you experience any reflection problems from overhead lighting?

My main concern is with general text rendering. I use my computer primarily for working with documents, financials, use with programs such as Quicken, Microsoft Office 2007, email and web surfing such as the Thai Visa website and viewing videos such as those on YouTube when it works over here. Does the glossy display provide the same quality of rich crisp text that is normally experienced with a matte finished display?

What do you find to be the significant differences between the matte and glossy finish displays? pros and cons?

While checking the Thai websites, in addition to the HP 2448hc, I have come across two other 24" HP LCD displays, the older model HP LP2465 and the newer model LP2475w, both with matte displays, but more expensive than the 2448hc due to their use of more high tech display technology such as S-IPS versus TN used in the 2448hc. These two models are better suited for business and work stations as they don't have some of the connections and web cam as on the 2448hc which is supposedly better suited for home use.

Does the Acer and Sony models that you use in your office use the TN display technology or do they use one of the higher performace display technologies?

My 22 inch Samsung also uses the TN display and works well when I am viewing from directly in front of it, but if I move off center, especially vertically, it darkens rather quickly. Display technologies such as S-IPS and PVA provide approximately 178 deg viewing both horizontally and vertically providing a better and more uniform brightness balance across the display.

As stated, I currently use a matte finish 22" Samsung LCD. In your opinion, do you think that a 24 inch display such as the HP or Acer models would be a significate and worthwhile upgrade to the 22 inch Samsung?

Thank you,

Pattayadavid

I have tried to get something together for you.

Read this article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

It might answer a lot of your questions.

> between the matte and glossy finish displays?

For digital imaganig the color rendition quaility is better than with matte. We use overhead light, cool daylight, and no problems at all.

As long as you don't place a window behind your gloss monitor, everything is fine, even side light.

If you have the chance to compare, connect a matte and a glossy monitor to your computer.

Calibrate both monitors!!! Wrong calibration gives the wrong impression of a monitors "color correctness". We calibrate on a daily base!

Try to get a high-resolution pdf file (with at least 300 ppi pictures embedded) and open it in Acrobot - do NOT and view the file with photosho, as Photoshop is pixel orientated program, not a vector program

Zoom to 800 or 1200% and compare both screens

Do the same with a TIF image (a jpg will lose quality every time it was opend and saved!), high-res, 300ppi, RGB or CMYK, and open it with Photoshop. Zoom to 800-1200% and compare.

This small test might give you a clue which way you want to go. We use Acer P243WAid.

Before you buy check that ACM is at least 3000:1 (not less), response time not more than 2ms and cd/m2 not less then 300. The higher the better.

This article might give you some detailed information

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/monitor6.htm

I am not talking about watching movies... ther's no need for all this stuff decribed above, but if you work with imaging, prepress, graphic design or related fields, chose your monitor wisely.

My impression is that you will do that!

Cheers

Edited by webfact