Thai Script

~G~

There is the standard Thai script as is appears in books, street signs, official documents etc:

ท ม ใ ฝ ผ ป แ อ ฌ โ ฏ ฆ ฤ ฑ ธ ณ ฯ ญ....

and there is the other script which appear on most shop signs and virtually everywhere which has some similarity to english letters. sometimes it's easy to see which is which and sometimes not. At least for me.

Does anyone have a link to a page that matches the two sets? Why don't they stick to the standard one anyway?

There is the standard Thai script as is appears in books, street signs, official documents etc:

and there is the other script which appear on most shop signs and virtually everywhere which has some similarity to english letters.  sometimes it's easy to see which is which and sometimes not. At least for me.

Does anyone have a link to a page that matches the two sets? Why don't they stick to the standard one anyway?

Not sure if there is an online resource, but Ms. Poomsan-Becker's dictionary provides examples of many different fonts.

And what you are seeing is probably just that, different fonts or ways of printing the same character.

and there is the other script which appear on most shop signs and virtually everywhere which has some similarity to english letters.  sometimes it's easy to see which is which and sometimes not. At least for me.

I know what you mean, I used to swaer the same thing under my breath while trying to interpret ornamental street signs, but stop for a moment and think about how many different fonts there are for the Latin alphabet...

Look in MS Word for example. It is easy to forget about this fact since these fonts do not pose any problems to us who grow up with them. The reason the Thais use other fonts than the standard one is the same as why we use them, for creating an added effect of some kind, making it more beautiful, respect-inducing, flowery or whatever.

Look in MS Word for example. It is easy to forget about this fact since these fonts do not pose any problems to us who grow up with them. The reason the Thais use other fonts than the standard one is the same as why we use them, for creating an added effect of some kind, making it more beautiful, respect-inducing, flowery or whatever.

Not exactly the case of a strange font, but you will have noticed that when dual pricing is in effect the price for residents (not Thais - I've a feeling a Thai-only price is of dubious legality) is given in Thai numerals, not in Arabic numerals. The reason then is simply to hide dual pricing from tourists.

Some modern Thai fonts use letters taken directly from the English alphabet. Common examples are :

s=ร

n=ท

u=น

backward u=ม

backward c=อ

j=ง

i=เ

w=พ

U=บ

upside-down U=ก

่ีWhat you usually see is that the little "head" has been chopped off and strokes simplified. Like with any font, you'll get used to it if you see it often enough.

(Edit to cut out the extra vowels.)

Some modern Thai fonts use letters taken directly from the English alphabet.  Common examples are :

s=ร

ิn=ท

ีีu=น

backward u=ม

backward c=อ

j=ง

i=เ

w=พ

U=บ

ีupside-down U=ก

่ีWhat you usually see is that the little "head" has been chopped off and strokes simplified.  Like with any font, you'll get used to it if you see it often enough.

Good post. Should be very helpful for people starting out with other fonts than the standard.