Teaching Design Technology

taxidriver

I have previous qualifications that would secure me a job in TEFL, however, soon i'll have a B.Ed in Design & Technology, after my internship. I suspect there are limited jobs in Thailand in this area and I think I'd enjoy teaching this rather than English. Are there many jobs available at International schools for DE teachers?

Or are there any other options in the vocational field?

I've never heard of this being taught at the primary or secondary level at almost ANY school back home, so I'd doubt you'd find a lot of options here. Perhaps you could get a gig as an art teacher? However, once again, simply having a B.A. in your major doesn't typically qualify you to teach in the "Holy International Schools"- they want education degrees, or teaching degrees, or something else which remains unclear.

Don't know about other employment options- would tend to think Thais would do your job a lot more cheaply here unless you're well known and at the edge of your field (and would thus add status).

"Steven"

This degree is in education. Never heard of it? Did you ever hear of industrial arts?

Nearly all government and catholic schools in Australia have vocational subjects in their schools, both compulsary and elective. I believe that the US & UK curriculums are the same. I know for a fact that NIST have DT programs as a I have done a case-study on it for one of assignments,I believe that Dulwich and others offer it as well. I just thought that smeone could help me with more info on it. BTW, with 2.5 years experience in TEFL, 2 British Council certificates and a degree in education + a 6 month internship at an Australian school, might possibly get me a job teaching something at an international school quite easily. C'mon, you can have a degree in anything to teach in Thailand and as discussed earlier some aren't even real.

Design & Technology covers:

metals & engineering

IT

wood & construction

hospitality

food tech

etc...

Well, if you take off the fancy dressing, you're talking about 'shop' and 'home ec,' then, right?

As far as I know, this isn't a common topic in the EP programs, where most of the kids are doing college-bound stuff. And in the "Holy-of-holies" International Schools, I'd guess there wouldn't be too many kids who'd need to know how to work on their cars or cook dinner- though you could always try, and the B.Ed would be acceptable to them.

There are these things called "technical schools," which might need more of your skills, but they're not well-known for their EP programs and I'd suspect most farang hired there would be teaching English (or at a stretch, other core academic stuff).

Good luck!

"Steven"

Thanks for the input Steven, it may not be rocket science, although it's probably nearer to it than english. The fancy name is what it's called now and has come a long way since we were at school. Kids enjoy these subjects and it plays a big part in their development and life-builing skills. Unlike the old days, they can learn IT skills and basic & advanced engineering funamentals etc. Foriegn schools realise this and use it in their curriculum, you know, the ones found in international schools. When I observed the senior student at NIST, they enjoyed these subjects a lot and it gives then a break from the more 'core academic' subjects. The teachers there were farang native english speakers and it's my guess that most if not all international schools have these subjects. I think you're are right about the tech schools not having positions.

I think it's much more rewarding for me to teach DT and the only options would be at international schools, although teaching english to regular Thais is also rewarding, it pays peanuts and at the end of the day I have a family to support.

Cheers!

^If you can get into the "biggies" you'll be sitting pretty, but I'd guess that there're folks who already have those jobs- and friends ready to take over from them when they're finished. At best, you should probably send in your resumes and wait at home (or use the International School Networks I've heard about for those with sufficient qualifications) for an opening to come up.

Your other strategy would be to come and teach whatever was available (including English), make connections, and be available when a slot comes up. This could take a few years, though, and if you're hoping to support your family in a Western fashion it's obviously not an option.

This is a new one on me, so thanks for bringing it up! I suppose it would be necessary to have the full range of topics in a real international school here... always wish I'd taken more shop in high school myself...

"Steven"