Yogurt Culture

cathyy

Does anybody know a source where I can get the bacteria used to make yogurt? I'm pretty sure the commercial yogurts here are not live culture yogurt, so it won't work to just use a bit of that. A health food sort of store is a likely place to get it.

My favorite yogurt, which I eat daily, seems to have a "safe" level of melamine. No, thanks! Got a friend picking yup a yogurt maker for me, so now I just need the culture. Yet another food basic I'll be making at home...

Probably not the answer you wanted, but I think you can use yogurt from Chokchai farm. There are "Umm...Milk!" stores and they sell milk, yogurt, ice cream, etc.

They have their farm not too far from Bangkok, thankfully within thailand :o, I started buying ice cream and yogurt from them. Only one store location I've been to though. It's on Sukhumvit soi 23.

Juliashong, what makes you think that Chok Chai Farms yogurt will be a live culture? Do they say so on the label? I've not seen any of that brand of yogurt out here in Korat, although I am planning on using their milk to make my yogurt. Maybe I'll try to make a very small amount with some yogurt I have on hand, even though it's not labeled live culture, just to see if it works.

I'm sorry I can't help you in your quest, but your post brought back memories of my Grandmother and her homemade yogurt. She insisted on using the live culture from her hometown in Finland, and had a friend ship it to her to the U.S.

She said the same culture had been kept alive for more than a hundred years, and insisted it's flavor was second to none.

I don't know if yogurt cultures differ....but if you can get a hold of one from Tjarlax, Finland....you've got a winner :o

Your grandmother knew what she was talking about. Cultures do differ, and the resulting yogurts differ. The alleged "best" culture came from Bulgaria originally, in fact that variety of bacteria is named after Bulgaria. Right now I'd be willing to settle for any yogurt culture!

Cathy our maid makes all our own yogurt - she learned at an Indian cooking class she took. As a starter she uses a couple of spoonfuls of unsweetened yogurt (the one that comes in largish jars with a red screw-top lid). I'll ask her the exact process on Monday when she comes in. Once you have made one batch you can use the culture from that set to make the next batch.

Oh, and although we have a yogurt maker she prefers to make it in a saucepan and let it set the traditional way. I must admit the yogurt is much thicker and more 'set' made this way.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

...yogurt, ice cream, etc. They have their farm not too far from Bangkok, thankfully within thailand :D
What you say is correct, however the problem with many products is that it is common to increase the thickness (or protein content) of the finished product by added powered milk to the yogurt, in this case. The source of the powered milk might still be from outside Thailand. This assumes that they require more milk solids that they can produce in house.
I've not seen any of that brand of yogurt out here in Korat, although I am planning on using their milk to make my yogurt. Maybe I'll try to make a very small amount with some yogurt I have on hand, even though it's not labeled live culture...
Might need to use some TLC to kick it into growing, I would expect that the average yogurt here has been UHT processed to ensure long shelf-life. I think you (OP) are fully aware of the needs etc.
She said the same culture had been kept alive for more than a hundred years, and insisted it's flavor was second to none. I don't know if yogurt cultures differ...
Yes, different bacteria and different milks affect the finished product. Similar to the 'family' Pla Rar pot in Thailand.

Funny that I stumbled into this thread after looking at yogurt ideas on another web site for the weekend. My problem is/was that most of the ideas for home making I was interested in suggest adding powdered milk :o.

You don't have to add any milk powder, even though the "recipe" may call for it. The result will be thinner and less creamy yogurt. How much so will depend on the yogurt culture used. Some make thicker yogurt than others, and some take longer to "yog" than others. It will be thicker after chilling than it is right after making.

The problem with just using a spoonful of yogurt as a starter is whether the yogurt has been treated to kill the bacteria. Most commercial yogurts have! The no doubt delicious yogurt goinghomesoon's maid makes hasn't been treated. Oh, to get a small bit of her yogurt as a starter!!! :o

Hi Cathy

This is the one I used until my maid started making it. The machine is not electric and very easy to use. Costs about 600 baht in Australia. The painful part is that you have to use their starter, at least theoretically - I've heard you can use your own starter as well but never tried it www.easiyo.com/instructions/threeeasysteps/

Actually I just asked my maid about her yummy yogurt recipe and she said she lost it. Hmm, obviously that's why she hasn't made Indian food for the past month or so. The yogurt she used as a starter is a Thai brand that comes in a clear plastic jar with a screw-top red lid. The writing on the jar says "Gourmet Yogurt (Low Fat"" and it is much larger than your average small yogurt, maybe double the size.

Edited by Goinghomesoon

• 1 month later...

Cathy, the yogurt recipe arises! The maid just handed me a photocopied sheet from when she did her Indian cooking classes at Mrs Balbirs in Sukhumvit Soi 11.

Apparently you need an earthenware container for it to work best - we use one of those rounded clay rice pots from rural Cambodia but I guess anything will do.

Ingredients:

- 6 cups whole milk

- Half cup fresh natural yogurt

1. Put the milk in a saucepan & boil over medium heat. Boil gently for at least 5 minutes, stirring all the time to prevent the milk burning & to evaporate some of the water content.

2. Remove pan from heat and pour milk into earthenware bowl.

3. Allow milk to cool for 45-60 mins until lukewarm.

4. Add starter yogurt and stir well to ensure even spread.

5. Say a few nice words to the mixture e.g. "You are going to set well". Cover and leave for at least 8 hours in coolest place in your house (not the fridge). Do not touch or move the yogurt during this time.

Hmm, the boiling step is new to me; it could very well produce a much creamier yogurt. I got a machine in the US -have to use a voltage adapter- that is making very good yogurt for me. I'll try boiling the milk next batch and see what happens.

• 2 months later...

I've been making the best yogurt I've ever had for quite some time now. I recently got a yogurt maker that uses Thai electricity, and it's making the maiden batch right now. The one I got in the US makes lovely yogurt, but I'd rather do without the voltage adapter.

I don't add any milk powder to the milk, because i don't trust that to be melamine-free. I am adding a half a teaspoon of agar agar to each batch to make a thicker yogurt. I have to add that before I heat the milk. I have eaten in plain, with vanilla and a a bit of sweetener, and with those all-fruit sugar-free jams. Next I need to try draining it to get a soft cream cheese substitute.

• 1 year later...

Why do you need a Yogurt machine??? All a yogurt machine does is keep it at a good temperature for the bacteria to work. If you live in a cold country then it might be useful (although I always just put it in the airing cupboard!) Here in Thailand it's the perfect temperature for making yogurt.

I make a gallon every week or two. All you need to do is buy a small tub of the natural yogurt that they sell in every supermarket (they do in Bangkok anyway!) I don't remeber the name, but it's in a white tub with blue writing. Boil some milk in the evening, leave it to cool down to blood temperature (about an hour), add the tub of yogurt, stick a teatowel over it and leave it in the kitchen until morning. When you wake up stick it in the fridge for an hour or so and you have lovely natural fresh unsweetened yogurt. If you like it thicker, then hang it in muslin for an hour or so, don't add agar agar to it, this will just give it a jelly like consistancy, unless you want yogurt jelly. Mass produced yougurt normal has a thickener like Lecithin in but if you're jut making it for home, then just hang it.

The Severin brand (Germany) yogurt maker I use (from Verasu) incubates the yogurt at 120 DG F which is a bit hotter than room temperature even in Thailand ... I replaced the individual jars with one plastic 900 ml dish which holds perfectly the 850 ml Pasteurized milk bottles ... I find it unnecessary to boil the milk unless using raw milk ... the blue and white brand of natural yogurt sold at TOPS is 'Yolida' from Khorat. I bring back with me from USA trips freeze-dried yogurt culture -- each packet can be 'mothered' for at least half a dozen liters and maybe more if third generation.

The problem with just using a spoonful of yogurt as a starter is whether the yogurt has been treated to kill the bacteria. Most commercial yogurts have!

I think that this is an health food industry urban myth, although it might have been true many years ago. All know for sure is that my very knowledgeable Thai doctor told me that most brands here contain live cultures and other people have verified this.

The Severin brand (Germany) yogurt maker I use (from Verasu) incubates the yogurt at 120 DG F which is a bit hotter than room temperature even in Thailand ... I replaced the individual jars with one plastic 900 ml dish which holds perfectly the 850 ml Pasteurized milk bottles ... I find it unnecessary to boil the milk unless using raw milk ... the blue and white brand of natural yogurt sold at TOPS is 'Yolida' from Khorat. I bring back with me from USA trips freeze-dried yogurt culture -- each packet can be 'mothered' for at least half a dozen liters and maybe more if third generation.

Although it's a little cooler at the moment my kitchen is normally over 100 oF at night and I was always taught that yogurt should be made at about 110 oF. Maybe at 120 it's a bit faster? Have you always used a machine? I'm wondering what the benifits are?

As for boiling the milk first, I would still recommend it as it not only kills any bad bacteria that may ruin your batch of yogurt but it also changes the proteins in the milk and helps thicken it.

Also, what benifits do you find from using freeze dried cultures rather than normal yogurt? I've thought about trying it out at sometime myself, but have never felt it was worth it when you can get great yogurt from just using the cultures in a 20 baht pot of Yolida. Do you just prefer the taste?

Everytime I make a batch I put a small pot to oneside that I use for the culture of the next batch. I don't think I've bought a pot of yogurt for six months now.

I was quite happy just buying Yolida then draining it a bit and then using it more like sour cream in Indian and Mexican foods; not the fruit-breakfast type usage. I bought the maker from Verasu here in Thailand; I had never made yogurt before. I used the Yolida with each batch plus the 850 ml milk bottle -- just let it rise to the 120 DG F with no boiling...

I then purchased freeze-dried yogurt culture when back in the USA because I bought it from the same places where I purchased cheese-making cultures ... A little different flavor maybe but I agree the Yolida stuff is very good ...

I use raw milk for cheese and could do so also for Yogurt but it is enough of a pain to pasteurize just for the cheese ... I freeze a batch of yogurt in ice cube trays from the culture batch which then makes 6 further batches -- have not tried to go to the next generation... the yogurt cultures BTW mostly come from Quebec / French Canada.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've read thru this entire thread, and now am very humbly confused....as follows:

1. Cathy, you couldn't find a yogurt maker, but then found one with Thai voltage. What/where did you get?

2. What do we know about the Yolida brand from Khorat via Tops.... Do we have any reason to think it has no or less melamine than anything else?

3. If Yolida brand or others contains live cultures, then why not just buy that to eat, vs. using that as a starter to make one's own yogurt using fresh milk?

I'm no expert on melamine stuff. But from what I gather, it can be introduced/added into liquid milk just as much as yogurt. So for those who are going out and buying milk to make their own yogurt with, how do you know the milk you're buying hasn't be adulterated?

I remember reading some time back about a scandal where a lot of the school milk that was going to kids in Isan had been found to have high levels of melamine.... Can;t recall if it was ever clear whether the source was something that had been imported or whether the Thai distributors were fouling it themselves.

Anyone who would say that Thailand is not a 'yogurt culture' culture has not been to a 7-11 lately and looked at how much refrigerated shelf space is given to yogurt products ... and 7-11 knows how much revenue is generated by every linear centimeter.

Edited by jazzbo