Foreigner With An Attitude

toybits

Do you mean that we the the AMERICANS and their Domino Theory to blame for this??? :o

I agree that it is one of the hazards of village life. Fortunately, the PA system at our village is not abused as a Karaoke machine.

I'm not sure that you can say that the village address system is part of Thai culture. It was started in the anti Communist years of the 70's to broadcast central govt. propaganda, err news and information, to keep all the outlying areas toeing the line. Since then local govts have adopted the system to broadcast all the local news and not news, after all what self respecting Thai would turn down the opportunity of a good Karaoke session.

But I think you can put it down to being one of the hazards of living in a Thai village, we don't have them in the city and neither do the housing moobahns (compounds), so there are alternatives.

The other alternative is to get friendly with the village headman and buy him a nice bottle of imported whiskey. The offending speaker might vanish mysteriously overnight.

The other alternative is to get friendly with the village headman and buy him a nice bottle of imported whiskey. The offending speaker might vanish mysteriously overnight.

Bit of a problem if the headman is the speaker.

A few months ago it started as usual at 6am and at 9am I heard him say that a farang had just given him 200 Baht to shut up...... and then he carried on for another two hours.

200 baht is not enough to buy an decent bottle of whiskey... :o

Bit of a problem if the headman is the speaker.

A few months ago it started as usual at 6am and at 9am I heard him say that a farang had just given him 200 Baht to shut up...... and then he carried on for another two hours.

:o another 200 Baht down the drain eh Thaddeus

Thankfully not, it was a French chap that had only moved into the village the day before. (nice bloke) It did have me scratching my head when he said it as I was, at the time, the only farang there (now he is)

The thing about this one is that the villagers were complaining later (behind his back obviously) but it was the headman, so no one would say anything to him directly.

Do you mean that we the the AMERICANS and their Domino Theory to blame for this??? :o

I agree that it is one of the hazards of village life. Fortunately, the PA system at our village is not abused as a Karaoke machine.

I'm not sure that you can say that the village address system is part of Thai culture. It was started in the anti Communist years of the 70's to broadcast central govt. propaganda, err news and information, to keep all the outlying areas toeing the line. Since then local govts have adopted the system to broadcast all the local news and not news, after all what self respecting Thai would turn down the opportunity of a good Karaoke session.

But I think you can put it down to being one of the hazards of living in a Thai village, we don't have them in the city and neither do the housing moobahns (compounds), so there are alternatives.

I guess if you have got to blame it on someone blame it on the Americans, why not.

The bottle of whiskey is to get him to move the speaker not shut up. Shutting up is a loss of face, but they can just install it near someone else's front gate.

Imported whiskey that was, not the local brew. Remember a nice bottle and he can refill it with the local stuff and impress his friends for years to come.!

I know what you're saying. I had a sala beside my house that had grass roofing. I had it changed to gypsum roof tiles ASAP after the first Loy Krathong at the village. Some of the Khom Loy used discs of parrafin that rained burning fireball blobs.

Sometimes, the plastic khom Loy did not survive takeoff and crashlanded with the parrafin discs still burning full time. Wonder if that landed on a dry rice field with the paddy still to be harvested.

But - I still like Loy Krathong. Love the fireworks. Just want to advocate safe use of fireworks. Not really fond of big blasts that could take your hand of foot off.

Yes, and don´t forget the lanterns coming down from the sky like blazing zeppelins. Heads up if you´re joining the fun at mae fha luang bridge!

I don't know but this guy just wrote his own death warrant. Lots of Thais in the village now have a lot of anti-farang feeling.

The village security guards have also raised the alarm regarding one other farang who is fond of bringing young boys with him back to the village - I kid you not.... :o

These are not the kind of farang I would like to have for neighbors.

The Puyai Barn usually hits the switch about 7am here and we get another serve about 6pm.

I'm well and truly up by 7 and still not in bed by 6 so it doesn't bother me.

I wonder what this idiot does at election time when the pick ups with the loudspeakers on the back come around the streets?

Is he buying an RPG launcher?

The pedo needs to be dobbed in to the police. TODAY

In theory this is correct. However I've heard some are quite clever and like to pursue the poverty stricken hilltribe lads, which apparently doesn't interest the police as not regarded as Thais. Perhaps an NGO specializing in that may get a better result.

Well, he got his point across, albeit in an unsavoury way. However, how many threads are there on this forum alone complaining about persistent unnecessary noise.

Can they put this information on a notice board ? can they make up fliers and let the village folk read it themselves ?

It seems that disturbing the whole neighbour hood at sometimes unfavourable times of day is preferred (I enjoy a lie in !) and I really cannot understand why, surely this irritates more people than it informs ?

Given a choice – OR vote... Would villagers rather a flyer or this loud speaker system?

I’d be very tempted to do the same thing and rip out the wires... Though out of cowardice I’d probably have made it a black ops covert operation in the small hours the morning and under the cover of darkness, dress up as one of the other foreigners in the village and snip the wiring...

The complaint about not making the announcements in English does show the subjects stupidity however....

I don’t believe discussion about culture in relation to this matter is relevant. The birth of electricity and sound amplification came much later than the onset or development of any Thai culture.

To me all this noise appears as a of general lack of education and consideration for others tied in with the general lack of personal incentive for many people to complain about it. After all “why complain, if nothing can be done about it” which seems to be the general attitude to many seemingly insignificant issues such as this.

This seems to happen in the less well funded areas. It certainly doesn’t occur in the upscale Moobans.. I wonder why that is ?

As for the Church bells, Mosque excuse – This is not a religious issue.... If, for example, in my home country an Asian went nuts at the ‘ice-cream van man’ for waking him up while he’s sleeping off his night shift and told him to steer clear in the day time in future, I’d understand.

Edited by richard_smith237

Are you people sure its Thai culture just because they broadcast local events i dont see it as a culture. Its village society not culture because in the city ppl dont do this.

I hate those broadcast too but i respect public proverty and will never vandalize them. Maybe if i'm really pissed and angry like that guy, who knows. :o

I live in Chiang Mai and I frequent Lamphun quite often during lunch time. I know Lamphun is not huge city but then again it's no village either. But to correct you, yes they do blare the PA system there almost everyday during lunch at one of the local schools making announcements. So it's not just the villages that this occurs at.

The idea of installing a public address system for the village was presented to members of the community and was agreed that it should be installed. Foreigner with an Attitude was not present during the meeting.

I don't understand why you would think that more noise translates to less education? This was going to be a public address system. The only purpose is to make announcements and not broadcast Lukthung music 24-7.

Well, he got his point across, albeit in an unsavoury way. However, how many threads are there on this forum alone complaining about persistent unnecessary noise.

Can they put this information on a notice board ? can they make up fliers and let the village folk read it themselves ?

It seems that disturbing the whole neighbour hood at sometimes unfavourable times of day is preferred (I enjoy a lie in !) and I really cannot understand why, surely this irritates more people than it informs ?

Given a choice – OR vote... Would villagers rather a flyer or this loud speaker system?

I’d be very tempted to do the same thing and rip out the wires... Though out of cowardice I’d probably have made it a black ops covert operation in the small hours the morning and under the cover of darkness, dress up as one of the other foreigners in the village and snip the wiring...

The complaint about not making the announcements in English does show the subjects stupidity however....

I don’t believe discussion about culture in relation to this matter is relevant. The birth of electricity and sound amplification came much later than the onset or development of any Thai culture.

To me all this noise appears as a of general lack of education and consideration for others tied in with the general lack of personal incentive for many people to complain about it. After all “why complain, if nothing can be done about it” which seems to be the general attitude to many seemingly insignificant issues such as this.

This seems to happen in the less well funded areas. It certainly doesn’t occur in the upscale Moobans.. I wonder why that is ?

As for the Church bells, Mosque excuse – This is not a religious issue.... If, for example, in my home country an Asian went nuts at the ‘ice-cream van man’ for waking him up while he’s sleeping off his night shift and told him to steer clear in the day time in future, I’d understand.

Are you people sure its Thai culture just because they broadcast local events i dont see it as a culture. Its village society not culture because in the city ppl dont do this.

I hate those broadcast too but i respect public proverty and will never vandalize them. Maybe if i'm really pissed and angry like that guy, who knows.

I live in Chiang Mai and I frequent Lamphun quite often during lunch time. I know Lamphun is not huge city but then again it's no village either. But to correct you, yes they do blare the PA system there almost everyday during lunch at one of the local schools making announcements. So it's not just the villages that this occurs at.

No need to correct me since i'm Thai i know how things work at my village. The city i'm talking about are villages inside the inner city. School always pull their volume at luch time mostly pop music flavours from the students not forget to mention even their fanfare music rehearsal for sport event. What happen in school is dead normal, almost any school do that. But arent the OP mentioned about the village annoucement?

there is a PA system near the land i bought, there is a wat or two nearby, and all i've ever heard has been some buddhist monks chanting, and ive got to say i actually like it. it sounds beautiful in the afternoon.

as long as they don't start broadcasting thai comedy show soundtracks with all the cartoonish sound effects i'll be happy!

I hate those broadcast too but i respect public proverty and will never vandalize them. Maybe if i'm really pissed and angry like that guy, who knows. :o

And the opposite might happen!

A late middle aged farang couple began to rent a nice house in an idyllic moo-ban near Chiang Mai a few years back. Idyllic until the local temple installed speakers and the monk began long, loud discourses EVERY morning.

Knowing only a little Thai, they wondered why there were so many numbers being quoted in a religious speech. Small numbers, too. On inquiry they found he was reading out the latest food prices in the market.

Being Very polite, they began to take an interest in the temple, brought in an interpreter now and then and sat in front of the monk. Made some donations too. After a few weeks of this soft soap, they asked very gently through the interpreter if he might turn down the volume when it was Very early in the morning.

Later that very day, he sent out a helper to buy BIGGER speakers.

Ever tried to prise a Thai away from a microphone??!!

They paid up their remaining months of rent and left. Often the only way.

Did they happen to move to that village during Buddhist Lent?

And the opposite might happen!

A late middle aged farang couple began to rent a nice house in an idyllic moo-ban near Chiang Mai a few years back. Idyllic until the local temple installed speakers and the monk began long, loud discourses EVERY morning.

Knowing only a little Thai, they wondered why there were so many numbers being quoted in a religious speech. Small numbers, too. On inquiry they found he was reading out the latest food prices in the market.

Being Very polite, they began to take an interest in the temple, brought in an interpreter now and then and sat in front of the monk. Made some donations too. After a few weeks of this soft soap, they asked very gently through the interpreter if he might turn down the volume when it was Very early in the morning.

Later that very day, he sent out a helper to buy BIGGER speakers.

Ever tried to prise a Thai away from a microphone??!!

They paid up their remaining months of rent and left. Often the only way.