BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
toybits

Foreigner With An Attitude

there is a PA system near the land i bought, there is a wat or two nearby, and all i've ever heard has been some buddhist monks chanting, and ive got to say i actually like it. it sounds beautiful in the afternoon.

as long as they don't start broadcasting thai comedy show soundtracks with all the cartoonish sound effects i'll be happy!

Are you people sure its Thai culture just because they broadcast local events i dont see it as a culture. Its village society not culture because in the city ppl dont do this.

I hate those broadcast too but i respect public proverty and will never vandalize them. Maybe if i'm really pissed and angry like that guy, who knows. :o

I'm not sure that you can say that the village address system is part of Thai culture. It was started in the anti Communist years of the 70's to broadcast central govt. propaganda, err news and information, to keep all the outlying areas toeing the line. Since then local govts have adopted the system to broadcast all the local news and not news, after all what self respecting Thai would turn down the opportunity of a good Karaoke session.

But I think you can put it down to being one of the hazards of living in a Thai village, we don't have them in the city and neither do the housing moobahns (compounds), so there are alternatives.

The other alternative is to get friendly with the village headman and buy him a nice bottle of imported whiskey. The offending speaker might vanish mysteriously overnight.

And the opposite might happen!

A late middle aged farang couple began to rent a nice house in an idyllic moo-ban near Chiang Mai a few years back. Idyllic until the local temple installed speakers and the monk began long, loud discourses EVERY morning.

Knowing only a little Thai, they wondered why there were so many numbers being quoted in a religious speech. Small numbers, too. On inquiry they found he was reading out the latest food prices in the market.

Being Very polite, they began to take an interest in the temple, brought in an interpreter now and then and sat in front of the monk. Made some donations too. After a few weeks of this soft soap, they asked very gently through the interpreter if he might turn down the volume when it was Very early in the morning.

Later that very day, he sent out a helper to buy BIGGER speakers.

Ever tried to prise a Thai away from a microphone??!!

They paid up their remaining months of rent and left. Often the only way.

Did they happen to move to that village during Buddhist Lent?

And the opposite might happen!

A late middle aged farang couple began to rent a nice house in an idyllic moo-ban near Chiang Mai a few years back. Idyllic until the local temple installed speakers and the monk began long, loud discourses EVERY morning.

Knowing only a little Thai, they wondered why there were so many numbers being quoted in a religious speech. Small numbers, too. On inquiry they found he was reading out the latest food prices in the market.

Being Very polite, they began to take an interest in the temple, brought in an interpreter now and then and sat in front of the monk. Made some donations too. After a few weeks of this soft soap, they asked very gently through the interpreter if he might turn down the volume when it was Very early in the morning.

Later that very day, he sent out a helper to buy BIGGER speakers.

Ever tried to prise a Thai away from a microphone??!!

They paid up their remaining months of rent and left. Often the only way.