Calling All Phetchabun Region Tvf'ers

Spee

Hello All,

While I was up at my place last week, I got to thinking about something. Would anyone be interested in forming a regional expat club or association? I'm not living in the country full time, but intend to retire there in the future, as well as making periodic visits to see my family at our house. My initial concepts were to make such a club or association a mix of social, contact and emergency issues. For example:

Social aspects could be:

- periodic outings such as going to play golf, whether in the Phetch area or a road trip to Bkk

- something like periodic home get-togethers, rotating amongst and traveling to each other's places.

- giving wives and girlfriends an opportunity to meet and socialize with each other.

- having a joint blog, either as part of ThaiVisa Forum or elsewhere.

- helping someone out with an airport, train or bus drop-off or pick-up.

Contact and emergency aspects could be:

- exchange of phone numbers, email addresses and home addresses.

- phone number of a family member to contact in a crisis or emergency as needed.

- special health information (such as if someone is diabetic, or has heart problems, etc.).

- establishment of a "buddy system" where people could be grouped in pairs based who is closest to another and would volunteer to help out in an emergency if necessary (such as a car breakdown, traffic accident, etc.).

- a promise to come together to help out a friend in a time of need (such as in a worst case scenario where someone might unfortunately get badly injured, or even die unexpectedly).

There doesn't necessarily have to be any strict rules, just reliable person to person commitments from those willing to take part and be involved, and a confidentiality commitment to keep privileged information private and secure.

Of course, one's ability to be involved is limited by how much time is spent in the area. In my case, I work abroad and obviously only get to the area periodically, but I would be willing to participate to the maximum extent possible.

In general, we could really take this as little or far as we wanted to, depending on the level of interest. We could possibly expand to neighboring areas if there are expats there. For example, I'm on the far west edge of Phetch prov and places like P'lok and Phichit are about as easy to get to as Phetch city. I know from other posts that some of you are in and around Phetch city and others are in the south area of Phetch prov.

What say all of you? Is there enough interest to make something like this happen? I'd be willing to draft up an informal charter to send out for ideas and comments. Feel free to respond here or PM if interested.

Cheers,

Spee

Thanks 'spee' for coming up with a fantastic ideas. I'm all for it.

My situation is I'm lurking around looking for what Petchabun has to offer.

Like you, I'm currently living in Florida, US. Never been to P-bun, but like to give it a trail living for few month before moving here permanently in a year or two.

Having reading many posts about P-bun from ... spee....macb....Aitch52...Monkeypants....phutoei2...and others, I can tell you all can be called a good neigbors: family style type, decent people, has good community sense, who enjoy quiet and peaceful life etc. Proud to say I'm like that too.

Please everyone who calls Petchabun home, why not join hand and let this project starts. What I have to do to help ?

Hi Spee and all

an excellent idea, I am all for it as it would be a support group in which we could all help one another, as the only Farang for miles (at the moment) it would be good to get together with like minded people and exchange ideas and pool our knowledge of the area.

I am here full time on a retirement visa anything I can do to help?

Chris

Hi Spee,

I live about 20-30 klicks from you in Chon Daan. Lived here since I retired in 89. In the beginning I was pretty busy working around the farm,(We own 16 rai out of town) but the last few years my health has nosedived and am quite the homebody. I have started talking to the TV just recently and when it starts talking back, I turn it off. I don't know if I could be a energetic member of your proposed group, but it sounds good to me. If you need help, drop me a line.

• 4 weeks later...
Great Idea count me in. I live in a town called Sri Thep, and it looks like I am the only Farang there unless you know of more.

There are a few farangs two towns north of you up Route 21. (Phu Kam then Phu Toei) Three Brits and a Swiss chap who live here on a permanent basis, plus some others who work in Europe, who visit their wives/girl friends throughout the year. Expecting 2 more Brits, two Germans and a Dane over Christmas! and that's just in our Moo.

We drink & chat most nights at Mrs Moons- first shop on the right hand frontage road as you. drive north.

She looks after us farangs well!!, and so she should, all the beer we have bought from her over the years!

Our banks are in Si Thep so know the town quite well, they have a good day market on Fridays.

Phu Toei has now got its own Bangkok Bank ATM after much lobbying, therefore do not drive to Si Thep as often as I used to.

We are on a jolly boys outing to Kanchanaburi 10-13 November, so will be awol from Moon's.

good idea Spee. i'd be interested in helping out but i live way down south in Petchabun Province. West of Bung Sampan [or Smothot, it seems to have two names], nearest village is a place called Wang Pikun. Getting around is not so easy as i don't have a car, just the usual small mobike.

However, anything i can do please contact.

Great Idea count me in. I live in a town called Sri Thep, and it looks like I am the only Farang there unless you know of more.

There are a few farangs two towns north of you up Route 21. (Phu Kam then Phu Toei) Three Brits and a Swiss chap who live here on a permanent basis, plus some others who work in Europe, who visit their wives/girl friends throughout the year. Expecting 2 more Brits, two Germans and a Dane over Christmas! and that's just in our Moo.

We drink & chat most nights at Mrs Moons- first shop on the right hand frontage road as you. drive north.

She looks after us farangs well!!, and so she should, all the beer we have bought from her over the years!

Our banks are in Si Thep so know the town quite well, they have a good day market on Fridays.

Phu Toei has now got its own Bangkok Bank ATM after much lobbying, therefore do not drive to Si Thep as often as I used to.

We are on a jolly boys outing to Kanchanaburi 10-13 November, so will be awol from Moon's.

Thanks for the info phutoie2, I will check it out when I come over in December.

I live about 5 minutes drive from the market, usually go there when I am home for the weekly shop.

• 3 months later...

This sounds like a great idea ... did it go anywhere yet?

I'm working overseas at the moment, but I've bought land in phetchabun recently, and we're building a guest house and some apartments behind the new Tesco and Big-C.

Ground-breaking in a week with monks etc. :o

Eventually (maybe a year or so), I hope to retire there.

I'll try to convince the gf to take pics as the construction progresses, and maybe post them up here somewhere.

I'm having a house built right in Petchabuhn town and will be there end of March for 3 days to take a look at progress and for 3 weeks early June to move in (that's what the builder said anyway) and every couple of months thereafter. I work offshore but would be interested in what direction this proposal takes.

PS Where do you blokes drink in Petchabun town? I had a wander around last month but didn't stumble across any obvious hang outs.

Cheers

This sounds like a great idea ... did it go anywhere yet?

My idea originally, but have unfortunately been too busy with work and other concerns over the past several months. Haven't forgotten about it for sure. I'm glad to see there is such interest and such a bigger Central Forum participation from the Phetch area.

Thanks for the info phutoie2, I will check it out when I come over in December.

I live about 5 minutes drive from the market, usually go there when I am home for the weekly shop.

Sorry I mist you guys over Christmas and the New Year was busy putting the finaly touches to the house I just built. Will be back again in May, probably the 24th. Are you still meeting at Mrs Moons, if so I will drive up and have a few beers.

Yep we are still supping at Moons (far too much). The Christmas/ New Year visitors have returned to Europe for work again and it's just the lucky full timers remaining.

May as you may know is a really hot month in Petchabun and we have an annual Bang Fi (rocket festival), one of the few held in this Province. I will try and find out the dates for you as its a good weekend.

Despite the worlds economic problems, Moons sails majestically ahead, now she has 4 tables!, still no fans but we can use her Hongnam and she will always, I say always stay open, as long as a farang is seated outside.

I attach a photo for you if you ever venture outside Si Thep, you are most welcome to join us![

attachment=77489:P1010002.JPG]

Edited by phutoie2

Yep we are still supping at Moons (far too much). The Christmas/ New Year visitors have returned to Europe for work again and it's just the lucky full timers remaining.

May as you may know is a really hot month in Petchabun and we have an annual Bang Fi (rocket festival), one of the few held in this Province. I will try and find out the dates for you as its a good weekend.

Despite the worlds economic problems, Moons sails majestically ahead, now she has 4 tables!, still no fans but we can use her Hongnam and she will always, I say always stay open, as long as a farang is seated outside.

I attach a photo for you if you ever venture outside Si Thep, you are most welcome to join us![

attachment=77489:P1010002.JPG]

Thanks for the photo, I will show it to the wife she should know where the place is. I shall defiantly pay a visit in May probably the 25th. Once again thanks for the photo.

Mahseer

PS Where do you blokes drink in Petchabun town? I had a wander around last month but didn't stumble across any obvious hang outs.

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this link for somewhere to have a bite to eat and a few beers in Petchabun city.

http://www.scoogies.com/

Mahseer

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this link for somewhere to have a bite to eat and a few beers in Petchabun city.

http://www.scoogies.com/

This was in another Petchabun topic a while back!

'Oh Just to let you know...

Scoogies has closed down now.... :o

I know..... I bought the pool table from the place'

Edited by phutoie2

Hi All, :o

Very interested in 'MOONS'.

If I'm in town (Mueng Petchabun), how do I get to this place so that I could join some of you guys ? Direction please.

TINK

Tink, we may be a a bit of a drive for you!, its in a town called Phu Toei, which is the second large town on Route 21 (ignore Phu Kamm which thinks its a town!) as you enter Petchabun province from the South. In fact we are just 30 km' into Petchabun province.

Still you are welcome to visit, Moon has a good stock of Leo, but also does Singha for some of the other guys here.

The main topic of conversation lately is the requirement to go to Nan for our extension and re-entry permits. We previously went to Suan Plu.

Now its looking like a 1000 km round trip!

Slowly we are building up the gen on Nan and I will be the first of our group to drive there for retirement extension.

Thanks ' phutoie2',

If I'm in Muang Petchabun, I definitely going to stop by the 'MOONS', but I don't expect to see many since some of you guys works outside LOS, only here for a seasonal.

If I'm lucky I might get to know a new friend or two. :o

Dear Chris and ALL,

Good to hear from you. For a while I thought may be you taking up a teaching job somewhere.

I hope to have an opportunity to meet you and other expats whenever I'm in Muang Petch. :o

Until then, take care.

TINK

Hi Tink and all

Apologies for not posting earlier, problems with internet and been busy around the homestead etc. Totally disillusioned with the teaching scene here, doing some small part time stuff but doesn't seem to be going anywhere, looks like I am going to have to look outside of Thailand unfortunately.

Best Wishes

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Mr and Mrs raro will give Petchabun the honour of their presence on April 8.

If there are any TVers willing and able to have a drink with us, post here or send a PM.

Two things to sort out:

1) half-decent hotel where?

2) half-decent drinks where?

Hello and Welcome Mr & Mrs Raro

The Kosit Hill hotel is a very decent and comfortable hotel, a little pricey but worth it, also Topland although I have never been there. There is a club type place close to Kosit, never been there either. I live quite a way from Phetchabun so don't go there too often, there are a couple of good restaurants, one a seafood place about 3 klicks South of the city is good value. I've sort of retired from the nitelife scene for the time being, happy being a country yokel. If you look on the Phetchabun Guesthouses thread there are some ideas there.

Cheers and have a safe trip

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for the input! Define "costly" please...all we need is a clean room, all a bit decent but no 5-star amenities. Your average up-country hotel usually does the trick. I'll have my own coffee on me anyways, so no problem here.. :o

Looking forward seeing you and some others in Petchabun!

Mr and Mrs raro will give Petchabun the honour of their presence on April 8.

If there are any TVers willing and able to have a drink with us, post here or send a PM.

Now that's a good opportunity to get regular meetups going. Usually all it takes is suggesting a date, time and place, and those that are interested (and have no other commitments) will show up.

So April 8 is a date. I guess a good meeting point would be one of the many bars or restaurants on Klang Mueang Phatthana

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=16.4115,101...mp;z=17&t=h

Would one of the locals name a particular place? Too bad I'm back home in Europe, but would be glad to hear of regular meetings, which I'd eagerly join when I'm back home in Thailand.

Hi Chris,

thanks a lot for the input! Define "costly" please...all we need is a clean room, all a bit decent but no 5-star amenities. Your average up-country hotel usually does the trick. I'll have my own coffee on me anyways, so no problem here.. :o

Looking forward seeing you and some others in Petchabun!

I can also recommend Kosit Hill. I stay there every time I'm in town. About 4 months ago I think I paid 1400. The staff has always been wonderful, the breakfast is a bit disappointing, though. Still well worth it if you can pay the premium price. So much better than anything else I have found nearby.

the homeland resort , which is about 5 kms outside of the city to the North on the highway 21 is a great choice, I have had a look at the rooms and they are very very clean, IMO this resort is better and Cheaper than the Kosit, you would stay in a small,about 30 room hotel, with air etc etc for about 400 baht per night, has a lovely swimming pool, great food, free tea and coffee in a morning, downside is 5km outside town, fine if you have your own transport, Taxi;s are a little thin on the ground here, only thing I have seen Taxi wise, is a samlor other than that, then Kosit would be the place, snooker rooms, , Karoke rooms, swimming pool, over the road is nightclub calledOasis. The Burapa hotel, further down the road a bit run down, but has a lively nightclub (ZEE ZARR) snooker rooms, around the corner is the all night market.

So if you have transport for me the Homeland is the choice, no transport Kosit Hill

Edited by Monkeypants