Home Theater Installation

DFW2BKK

Anybody have any recommendations for a home theater installation outfit?

In the States some of these technicians charge by the hour -- others by the project. What is the practice in Bangkok?

Many thanks.

In the States they will do a good job, after 28 years here I have found the "pride in work" is a foreign concept, so you may need to get the decorators in afterwards.

regards

Freddie

In my experience, from a number of times, you go to the shop and they will install everything for you and I have never paid anything extra for this.

The thing is, I am having my televisions, projector and attendant components shipped to me from the States (courtesy of my employer). I tried to contact some guy who advertises in loads of magazines as being someone "who speaks your language" but he never responded.

Thanks to one and all.

DFW2BKK: Please let the Forum Members know how your audio visual equipment does at Customs $$$ and what components you use in Thailand that safely convert the electricity. Did you purchase the transformers in the USA OR in Thailand to deal with voltage differences?

There are many a/v shops advertised in the two most popular a/v magazines you can purchase at most larger Thai bookshops or magazine stands. There are many a/v shops some of which might have the service staff you are looking for at HI FI Center.

MANY sales staff at the HI-FI Center in Bangkok (near Big C, Across from Central World) speak English.

I suggest you check some of the advertisements in "What Hi-Fi Thailand" a popular 90 baht magazine.

I suggest you bring your speaker cable, HDMI, and any connectors from the USA if you hate wasting money on "imported" items and would like some level of quality.

In our case we had our home electricians install conduit separated from electrical conduit, for speaker wire and other a/v cable runs early in the home building process. They also installed the speakers and did connections on interior and exterior a/v.

Any local shop we purchased a/v gear had staff who would install items at no extra charge, and it was easy since the speaker wires were installed during the construction process.

DFW2BKK: Please let the Forum Members know how your audio visual equipment does at Customs $$$ and what components you use in Thailand that safely convert the electricity. Did you purchase the transformers in the USA OR in Thailand to deal with voltage differences?

There are many a/v shops advertised in the two most popular a/v magazines you can purchase at most larger Thai bookshops or magazine stands. There are many a/v shops some of which might have the service staff you are looking for at HI FI Center.

MANY sales staff at the HI-FI Center in Bangkok (near Big C, Across from Central World) speak English.

I suggest you check some of the advertisements in "What Hi-Fi Thailand" a popular 90 baht magazine.

I suggest you bring your speaker cable, HDMI, and any connectors from the USA if you hate wasting money on "imported" items and would like some level of quality.

In our case we had our home electricians install conduit separated from electrical conduit, for speaker wire and other a/v cable runs early in the home building process. They also installed the speakers and did connections on interior and exterior a/v.

Any local shop we purchased a/v gear had staff who would install items at no extra charge, and it was easy since the speaker wires were installed during the construction process.

Thanks kamalabob2 -- I will look into these resources as well as the date approaches. I will be renting a condo for at least 6 months before possibly purchasing my own condo so I won't be undertaking any built-in wiring in the very near term.

I am not sure how brutal the customs fees will be. My company will be handling the whole process from door-to-door and I suspect that the shipper they use will be able to get a customs-advantaged deal.

I will let folks know how this turns out.

In my experience, from a number of times, you go to the shop and they will install everything for you and I have never paid anything extra for this.

If you mean chuck a LCD TV in the corner and plug in the 5 speakers with wires everywhere then OK sure..

If you mean hang the projector, set up all the inputs and resolutions, hide all cabling in wall, mount screens, calibrate all displays, install speakers, calibrate sound and distance levels.. Build a full robust remote interface on a customised control system, set up lighting 'scenes' and auto dimming... Etc etc etc then I beg to differ..

A proper HT install can cost more then the components.

If you mean chuck a LCD TV in the corner and plug in the 5 speakers with wires everywhere then OK sure..

If you mean hang the projector, set up all the inputs and resolutions, hide all cabling in wall, mount screens, calibrate all displays, install speakers, calibrate sound and distance levels.. Build a full robust remote interface on a customised control system, set up lighting 'scenes' and auto dimming... Etc etc etc then I beg to differ..

Then where would you suggest the OP go for help?

Then where would you suggest the OP go for help?

Ben at H3 digital can do high end stuff if the customer wants it... Theres a few others down here on Phuket but I know Ben. I dont know the bangkok market..

I was mostly commenting that a proper HT install does not come free.. The differences between simply pluging it in and a true projection home theater system build are a wide gulf.

• 4 weeks later...
Bringing major electronics from the US? This should be fun!

Electricity

Format

etc etc

Another delightful barb.

Sorry to disappoint you but most of the components were purchased with an eye toward making the move to BKK. The Epson projector never even made it out of the box in America.

The following may be helpful to those wrestling with these types of issues:

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/pwrfaq.htm#ipsaud

• 8 months later...

Installation Thai style will mean trailing the cables round the side of the room.

I think the OP is looking for a professional installation with no cables showing at all?

Plenty of custom home cinema installers in Thailand, only a few good ones. You can get work here done to (good) US standards, you do have to pay for it but installation shouldn't be any more expensive than in the US/UK etc... Equipment is likely to be priced at UK rather than US levels here.

For some really nice work check out Stylus Sound, H3 Digital (me) and other custom installers - Theres quite a few around, ask to see pictures of work they have done previously (and make sure it's not stock photos snatched from elsewhere).

TBH most of our home cinema installs are around or under a million baht and mainly in Phuket, Stylus have done some very high end installs and work in Hua Hin, Samui and Bangkok/Pattaya.

You can get some great motorised home theater chairs, built to your own specification here and just about anything that you can in the West.