Police Fire Tear Gas At Protesters In Front Of Parliament

george

_45017524_somchai_b226_afp.jpg

Somchai Wongsawat

BBC

Tear gas fired at mass Thai rally

Police in Thailand have fired tear gas to disperse a demonstration by thousands of anti-government protesters in Bangkok.

Dozens of people were injured as police intervened in the dawn protest in front of parliament. The clashes came just hours before new PM Somchai Wongsawat was to deliver a key policy statement.

The protesters say he is a proxy for ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra and want the government to resign. The political crisis has gripped the country for about six weeks.

Dozens of people were reportedly injured in the protest.

Petpong Kumtonkitjakarn, from the Erawan Medical Centre, told Associated Press two were seriously hurt. "One of them lost his leg, another was hit with shrapnel in the chest."

Television showed protesters trying to build tyre barricades outside parliament. Maj Gen Anan Srihiran told Reuters: "It was absolutely necessary for police to use tear gas to break up the crowd.

"We only wanted to open up a road for the cabinet to enter parliament. We will not do anything else to the protesters for the rest of the day."

The protesters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) regrouped outside the building. They had marched to parliament late on Monday to try to seal off the building. The alliance says the government must resign because of its links to Mr Thaksin, who lives in exile. It accuses him of corruption.

Protest leader Sondhi Limthongkul said this was the "final battle". Somchai insisted the address would go ahead. "It is not right for the PAD to obstruct the representatives of the people," he said.

- BBC / 1 minute ago

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Parliament is the voice of the people, why then did PAD try to shut it down? Surely there is no better place to state a political point of view, than in Parliament? Is PAD afraid of an open discussion? Is PAD afraid of people speaking in Parliament and representing their respective constituents? Maybe PAD has some valid points, maybe it doesn't, but shutting down Parliament interferes with the the democratic process.

Interesting that Belgium had a national strike yesterday, shutting down everything. As angry as Belgian workers are at the government proposal to increase the age of retirement from 58 to 60 ( boohoo), no one shut down the Parliament.

Edited by geriatrickid

Police use tear gas to disperse PAD protesters at Parliament

BANGKOK: -- Police used tear gas to disperse anti-goverment protesters rallying outside the Parliament on Tuesday morning after the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) marched to Parliament on Monday night, extending its rally from Government House, and vowing to stop the government from delivering their policy statement to Parliament schedued for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Unarmed, but heavily-protected with helmets, face masks and shields, hundreds of police moved through the barricades erected by the PAD activists overnight.

Tear gas was fired into the ranks of the PAD demonstrators shortly after dawn, and the massed police formations moved across the site.

Sixty-four persons were injured in the fray, including one woman who reportedly lost her leg due to an exploding tear gas canister.

Meanwhile, PAD core leaders said some of their supporters who were encamped at Government House will move to join the demonstrators at Parliament and called on its supporters in provinces to join the protest at Government House.

-- TNA 2008-10-07

If Parliament is the voice of the people, why then did PAD try to shut it down? Surely there is no better place to state a political point of view, than in Parliament? Is PAD afraid of an open discussion? Is PAD afraid of people speaking in Parliament and representing their respective constituents? Maybe PAD has some valid points, maybe it doesn't, but shutting down Parliament interferes with the the democratic process.

Interesting that Belgium had a national strike yesterday, shutting down everything. As angry as Belgian workers are at the government proposal to increase the age of retirement from 58 to 60 ( boohoo), no one shut down the Parliament.

Well if the Belgium politician would be as bad as in Thailand they would have been in jail since decades. Therefore it is not necessary in Belgium.

School is out for the month, so the kids are with their families, who are....at the protest. Using a child as a shield would mean you put them on the front line. I imagine the children are far back in the crowd. However, that is no excuse for PAD. Son, don't take your children to town for demonstrations that might be violently broken up. When we taught non-violent direct action, we did not suggest that the protestors bring their kids along.

Dear mister Somchai is showing his true face very fast. He asks for peace with one hand and with the other hand he commits violence. Shows what kind of a person he is.

Waerth

What kind of person he is??? He was unblocking the parliament building.

The PAD should not have been blocking it. Tear gas is the only language they understand.

Am I missing something here?

Bryan - congrats - the only sane comment here - the other OP's really have no idea - these mafia PAD have caused enough division in this country already -- the elected government of this country has the right to govern with the mandate of the people - for good or bad - and to disrupt the daily working of the government and try to topple it with blockades and civil unrest as that which the PAD is trying to stir up is just as the leaders have been charged with - yet to be found guilty I would add - treason and - look up the word "treason' if some of you computer potatoes don't know - "VIOLATION by subject of allegiance to sovereign or to chief authority of State " and in this case the elected government -- if u ask me = guilty by definition -- the police have acted within the law as the PAD has refused to move and so force seems to be the only option left - also interesting to just read that the leaders have been urging the protested to continue but happy to stay in the back ground -- what happened to lead by example haaaaa -- and if some of the protesters are injured - all i can say is 'som nam na'!

Ermmm Aussimike I didn't really mention how I feel about the protests. I am both Anti-PAD and anti-PPP. They are both responsible for the mess. The division of Thailand started with Thailands election of Thaksin in 2001.

Back home in Oz having a family dynasty rule politics, the army and the police would be impossible wouldn't it? Also a Prime-Minister offering peace and then using violence is not really trustworthy is he? Back in Oz or in Europe that person would be forced to resign by his own party. The problem is both sides are thoroughly corrupt. This government is a farce and so is the PAD. They are both a bunch of hotheads only interested in their own interests. Neither party cares about the common Thai.

Also can both of you please refrain from personal attacks. Just respect eachothers opinions. I respect your opinion on the situation, and I ask you to respect mine. Keeps it nicer for everyone.

Waerth

Edited by WAERTH

THE COUP OF 2008;[b] A COUP FOR THE SUPER-RICH![/b] - It is interesting how the popular press is reticent to call these PAD actions an attempted coup. It is led by the PAD with military backing, paramilitary units and constant threats of military action. The PAD units have been occupying government buildings and preventing the operation of a democratically elected government for far too long. Thus far, they have been granted immunity by the military whose watchful eye prevents the courts and police from doing their job.

Let there be no mistake about the elitist nature of the coup. No one really believes that if a group such as DAAD, an organization of the poor, a union of farmers, etc. would have been allowed and encouraged to occupy government institutions. If the coup of 2006 was a coup for the rich, the coup of 2008 must be a coup for the super-rich!

from the nation, also no comment....

HM the Queen worried over police's use of tear gas on protesters

HM the Queen is very worried on the police's use of tear gas to disperse anti-government protesters at the Parliament.

"HM the Queen is very worried that the incident happened and that many people were injured during the incident," the director of the Vachira Hospital said.

The Queen donated Bt100,000 to Vachira Hospital where many injured protesters were treated.

The Royal Household Bureau informed the hospital to foot the bills of the injured protesters with the bureau.

Lower House Secretariat and Whip chiefs affirm todays Parliament meeting to take place

The Secretary-General of the House of Representatives affirmed that the government's policy declaration would take place this morning despite heavy opposition from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)which attempted to seize the Parliament Building last night.

House of Representatives Secretary-General Witoon Poomhiran stated last night following the PAD's movement on the parliament that he received no contact to call off today's scheduled meeting.

Opposition Whip Chairman Sathit Wongnhongtoei corroborated Witoon's story and stated that the Democrat Party would follow the situation throughout the morning before attending the parliament meeting.

Government Whip Chairman Wittaya Buranasiri reiterated the continuance of this morning's meeting and said that measures have been taken to regain access to the Parliament building, alluding to police action taken this morning.

- ThaiNews / 2008-10-07

THE COUP OF 2008;[b] A COUP FOR THE SUPER-RICH![/b] - It is interesting how the popular press is reticent to call these PAD actions an attempted coup. It is led by the PAD with military backing, paramilitary units and constant threats of military action. The PAD units have been occupying government buildings and preventing the operation of a democratically elected government for far too long. Thus far, they have been granted immunity by the military whose watchful eye prevents the courts and police from doing their job.

Let there be no mistake about the elitist nature of the coup. No one really believes that if a group such as DAAD, an organization of the poor, a union of farmers, etc. would have been allowed and encouraged to occupy government institutions. If the coup of 2006 was a coup for the rich, the coup of 2008 must be a coup for the super-rich!

Excellent post

Thais don't like to lose nor do they like to lose face. Get ready for some pissed off PAD people, POPP, to take more action. Looking at the TV images of old ladies, children, women and young folks being carted off to clinics, hospitals and recovery zones with injuries is only going to enrage these folks and others that were on the sidelines and will now come to their support.

Lower House Secretariat and Whip chiefs affirm todays Parliament meeting to take place

The Secretary-General of the House of Representatives affirmed that the government's policy declaration would take place this morning despite heavy opposition from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)which attempted to seize the Parliament Building last night.

House of Representatives Secretary-General Witoon Poomhiran stated last night following the PAD's movement on the parliament that he received no contact to call off today's scheduled meeting.

Opposition Whip Chairman Sathit Wongnhongtoei corroborated Witoon's story and stated that the Democrat Party would follow the situation throughout the morning before attending the parliament meeting.

Government Whip Chairman Wittaya Buranasiri reiterated the continuance of this morning's meeting and said that measures have been taken to regain access to the Parliament building, alluding to police action taken this morning.

- ThaiNews / 2008-10-07

It will be interesting to see if the opposition attend the meeting

Protesters cut power to Thai parliament as police fire tear gas

BANGKOK - Protesters cut the power to Thailand's parliament building on Tuesday, after police fired tear gas in an attempt to disperse them.

Emergency generators quickly kicked in after a short black-out in the assembly room and Senate building, an AFP reporter at the scene said.

About 1,000 police fired tear gas in an attempt to disperse thousands of protesters massing outside parliament, critically injuring at least three people and hurting dozens more, police and doctors said.

Anti-government protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) marched to parliament late Monday, mobilising against plans to amend the country's constitution, which they say is aimed at helping ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Police made way for MPs as they arrived at parliament on Tuesday ahead of the new government's first policy announcement.

The PAD began their campaign in late May seeking to force the elected government to resign, raising tensions in the kingdom after they besieged government offices late August.

- AFP / 7 minutes ago

Dear mister Somchai is showing his true face very fast. He asks for peace with one hand and with the other hand he commits violence. Shows what kind of a person he is.

Waerth

The PAD should not have been blocking it. Tear gas is the only language they understand.

Bryan - congrats - the only sane comment here - the other OP's really have no idea - these mafia PAD have caused enough division in this country already -- the elected government of this country has the right to govern with the mandate of the people - for good or bad - and to disrupt the daily working of the government and try to topple it with blockades and civil unrest as that which the PAD is trying to stir up is just as the leaders have been charged with - yet to be found guilty I would add - treason and - look up the word "treason' if some of you computer potatoes don't know - "VIOLATION by subject of allegiance to sovereign or to chief authority of State " and in this case the elected government -- if u ask me = guilty by definition -- the police have acted within the law as the PAD has refused to move and so force seems to be the only option left - also interesting to just read that the leaders have been urging the protested to continue but happy to stay in the back ground -- what happened to lead by example haaaaa -- and if some of the protesters are injured - all i can say is 'som nam na'!

Ermmm Aussimike I didn't really mention how I feel about the protests. I am both Anti-PAD and anti-PPP. They are both responsible for the mess. The division of Thailand started with Thailands election of Thaksin in 2001.

Back home in Oz having a family dynasty rule politics, the army and the police would be impossible wouldn't it? Also a Prime-Minister offering peace and then using violence is not really trustworthy is he? Back in Oz or in Europe that person would be forced to resign by his own party. The problem is both sides are thoroughly corrupt. This government is a farce and so is the PAD. They are both a bunch of hotheads only interested in their own interests. Neither party cares about the common Thai.

Also can both of you please refrain from personal attacks. Just respect eachothers opinions. I respect your opinion on the situation, and I ask you to respect mine. Keeps it nicer for everyone.

Waerth

I think what Somchai should do is:

Walk down to the Parliament gate alone.

Down on his knee in front of the roaring PAD.

Beg them to allow entrance by saying " Please allow MPs to enter, I have beg for your merci in peace".

Clearly I'm out of kilter with the majority of opinions being expressed in this thread, but...

I don't consider a group of unarmed police using tear gas to disperse an unruly mob who were blocking elected members of Parliament from reaching their debating chamber an 'act of violence' as described by previous contributors, critical of Somchai.

One Aussie said Somchai's behaviour would never occur in Australia... neither would PAD's... The police would quickly and forcibly move a bunch of protestors on if they surround Parliament, erected barricades and prevented the government from going about its business. They'd use water canons, police with riot shields and batons and - as a last resort - tear gas, I'm sure. They'd also arrest the protestors, bundle them into buses and cart them off for processing. We saw them prepared to do this in Sydney during Apec last year.

The police should have acted in Bangkok sooner. Surely there is security around Parliament 24-seven, so why did no-one raise the alert and prevent the barricades being erected in the first place.

PPP is no white knight, but PAD is doing immeasurable damage to Thailand's economy by its lawlessness, illegal occupations and trespassing (airports, included). There are 800 international journalists and travel agents in Bangkok this week, all flown there by TAT and THAI - part of a Herculian effort to restore flagging tourism numbers to the country. No doubt they all turned on their hotel TVs this morning to scenes of anarchy and a strong - but justified - response by the police to restore law and order...

PAD siege broken

PAD supporters screamed at police through the loudspeaker system as officers moved in, but the actual PAD core leaders were not seen. PAD founder and leader Sondhi Limthongkul could be heard deploring the "police attack on children in our midst" but he also did not come to the foreground of the action.

-- TNA, Bangkok Post 2008-10-07

Why are the police attacking and hurting children? No shame on the police.

Why are the children blocking the Parliament? No shame on their (the children) parrents

This proves one thing. The PAD has been using children as a human shield. No shame on the PAD. :o:D:D

The police is attacking and hurting children, for whatever reason they are there, you can't hurt children.

better not state the obvious I guess, its not polite

I saw it on TV this morning: one guy lost his leg from the lower shin area down. I was on the treadmill at the fitness center and I almost vomited. The guy was looking around - obviously in shock.

But then I thought about it and I realized how he must have felt. I lost my car keys yesterday.

Thais don't like to lose nor do they like to lose face. Get ready for some pissed off PAD people, POPP, to take more action. Looking at the TV images of old ladies, children, women and young folks being carted off to clinics, hospitals and recovery zones with injuries is only going to enrage these folks and others that were on the sidelines and will now come to their support.

unrest_ww107.jpg

A seriously injured anti-government protester is attended to by medical personal after an explosion blew off his lower left leg during clashes with Thai police in front of parliament in Bangkok, Thailand, on Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2008.

Associated Press

Waerth

Waerth

I think what Somchai should do is:

Walk down to the Parliament gate alone.

Down on his knee in front of the roaring PAD.

Beg them to allow entrance by saying " Please allow MPs to enter, I have beg for your merci in peace".

Doing his job, trying to bring Thaksin into jail, taking his diplomatic passport, don't try to change the constitution, don't be sooo corrupt would be enough...PAD would walk home.

Clearly I'm out of kilter with the majority of opinions being expressed in this thread, but...

I don't consider a group of unarmed police using tear gas to disperse an unruly mob who were blocking elected members of Parliament from reaching their debating chamber an 'act of violence' as described by previous contributors, critical of Somchai.

One Aussie said Somchai's behaviour would never occur in Australia... neither would PAD's... The police would quickly and forcibly move a bunch of protestors on if they surround Parliament, erected barricades and prevented the government from going about its business. They'd use water canons, police with riot shields and batons and - as a last resort - tear gas, I'm sure. They'd also arrest the protestors, bundle them into buses and cart them off for processing. We saw them prepared to do this in Sydney during Apec last year.

The police should have acted in Bangkok sooner. Surely there is security around Parliament 24-seven, so why did no-one raise the alert and prevent the barricades being erected in the first place.

PPP is no white knight, but PAD is doing immeasurable damage to Thailand's economy by its lawlessness, illegal occupations and trespassing (airports, included). There are 800 international journalists and travel agents in Bangkok this week, all flown there by TAT and THAI - part of a Herculian effort to restore flagging tourism numbers to the country. No doubt they all turned on their hotel TVs this morning to scenes of anarchy and a strong - but justified - response by the police to restore law and order...

In Australia, someone like Somchai and Thaksin and all the others would be since 20 years in the jail for corruption and other crimes, so he wouldn't be premier and no need for PAD blocking something.

r2105631402.jpg

Anti-government demonstrators transport the injured in the back of a pick-up truck after riot police shot tear gas into a crowd of protesters blocking Parliament in Bangkok October 7, 2008. Thai police fired tear gas at anti-government protesters on Tuesday, clearing them from a road to Parliament after they had vowed to stop Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat delivering his maiden policy speech. At least 50 people were injured, three seriously, hospital officials said.

REUTERS

The police is attacking and hurting children, for whatever reason they are there, you can't hurt children.

What a stupid sentence!

Children are not / should not be there.

The one who pronounced the word "children" is Sondhi and all of us know that this guy is a psychopath liar.

No child had been hurt.

Electricity Labour Union Cuts off Power at Parliament

An electricity labour union, sympathiser to the PAD, has cut off the power at Parliament in an effort to prevent MPs and Senators from being to attend the government's policy declaration.

But a People Power party MPs insist the government will forge ahead with the delivery of its policy statement at 9.30 a.m. this morning. However it's been reported that the Parliament session will be a short one because Parliament's emergency power unit can only act as a backup generator for no more than 1 hour.

- TOC / 2008-10-07