Uninterruptible Power Supply

sceadugenga

We're getting regular power stoppages here. Only a few seconds usually put it plays havoc with the computer.

Someone suggested getting an Uninteruptible Power Supply.

Has anyone seen them on sale here or would I have to make a run to Chiang Mai?

We're getting regular power stoppages here. Only a few seconds usually put it plays havoc with the computer.

UPS is only to provide a temporary relief of a few minutes (depending on the battery) so that you could shutdown your computer normally. If you use a notebook with good battery, then you do not need a UPS.

But if you are talking about running the computer for hours after power outage, then you need a generator set of Genset for short. Genset runs on petrol or diesel.

In summary to run your computer non-stop, you need UPS working in tandem with a genset. But if you are using a notebook, then a genset is the solution.

Regards,

Surich

Thanks Toybits. I'll take a look this week.

Thanks also Surich, I know a bit about generators as I lived in the Philippines (brown out country!), but your description of the power supplied by a UPS... a few minutes, doesn't exactly tally with what I've been told about them.

I can see I need a little more information on them.

I'm sure any PC shop will have one. We used to have a lot of power cuts in Chiangkham, use an adaptor and run a lamp off it too, saves messing with candles.

.. but your description of the power supplied by a UPS... a few minutes, doesn't exactly tally with what I've been told about them.

Not all UPS are alike. Mostly how long they will power your equipment depends on how much power your computer uses vs. the rating of the UPS. You can indeed get an UPS that will last for hours, but it may be a bit dear ($$$). Most consumer UPS are designed to supply a power interruption instantly and long enough to save/backup data and shut down machines safely.

Many users buy UPS based on their budgets .. or some misconception .. rather than on what they really need or expect.

..... But if you are using a notebook, then a genset is the solution.

I'm not convinced that a genset would be warranted for a notebook. A car battery with a 12v DC-DC converter would run a laptop for several hours, and you could recharge the battery either from a cheap battery charger, or from a not-so-cheap solar panel.

.. but your description of the power supplied by a UPS... a few minutes, doesn't exactly tally with what I've been told about them.

Not all UPS are alike. Mostly how long they will power your equipment depends on how much power your computer uses vs. the rating of the UPS. You can indeed get an UPS that will last for hours, but it may be a bit dear ($$$). Most consumer UPS are designed to supply a power interruption instantly and long enough to save/backup data and shut down machines safely.

Many users buy UPS based on their budgets .. or some misconception .. rather than on what they really need or expect.

When an UPS is getting older it got weaker and weaker. I could run my computer on the UPS after the power went down for up to 10 minutes when the UPS was new.

Now, after 6 years it does not last 2 seconds. Yes, I need a new one. Next week!

:o:D:D

When an UPS is getting older it got weaker and weaker. I could run my computer on the UPS after the power went down for up to 10 minutes when the UPS was new.

Now, after 6 years it does not last 2 seconds. Yes, I need a new one. Next week!

:o:D:D

Nah, nah, nah, you don't need a new UPS. All you need is a new battery in it. My ten-year old UPS is still fine, but it's on its fifth new battery :D

I live in the United States presently but will be relocating to Chiang Mai in mid-November and will explore Chiang Rai as possible settle in location. So, can not offer any thoughts on where to find a UPS there. I have experience with older APC UPS here in States. They generally seem to be good to give you time to do a system shutdown being able to save your work (about 10 minutes). I have had to run back-up generators here due to power unreliability during the winters. May be due to model of generator and of UPS, but the UPS does not "like" the dirty power produced by the back-up generators. So, when power goes down I move very quickly to shut down the computer. Have had to replace the battery once in ten years on the UPS but the climate in Michigan is not as hot or humid as Thailand.

Thanks guys, I had a look in the little computer shop in the upstairs BigC Mall and they have two, one 1600B and one 1800B.

I read the boxes but couldn't see much info on how long they work for etc, I'll get back later and have a better look and may be check out some of the electrical shops around the bus station.

Thanks guys, I had a look in the little computer shop in the upstairs BigC Mall and they have two, one 1600B and one 1800B.

I read the boxes but couldn't see much info on how long they work for etc, I'll get back later and have a better look and may be check out some of the electrical shops around the bus station.

of course not, as the box doesn't know how much power (Amps) you are planning to draw from the built-in battery :o

of course not, as the box doesn't know how much power (Amps) you are planning to draw from the built-in battery :o

Actually for APC (which is all I purchase) you can go to their website and they will have charts of time vs power usage to give an approximation. Mine has software that shows how much power I'm using and how much time remaining on the charge. Also, it will automatically shut down the computer with a certain amount of time remaining on the charge.

I have a 650VA APC that shows about 45% power in use and informs me that I have an estimated 16 minutes before shutdown. 650VA is about 450 watts and my indicator shows 180 Watts being drawn.

I'll offer 2 small ideas.

1) Use a laptop- built in battery/power supply

2) protect it with a surge protector power strip

Voila!

PS And if the laptop is connected to wireless internet (3G in CM, or Hutch CDMA, or GPRS/Edge) you are not dependent on electric power to run a modem/router, etc. Most ISP's have backup gens....internet still works even when power is off in a wide area.

Just a thought.

Thanks Macca but I'm currently using a laptop. The problem is that the battery's packed up and are virtually unobtainable in Thailand. I replaced it about three years ago and they are extremely expensive so the master plan is a complete new set up.

Then a slight hiccup in the Australian dollar made me decide to wait until a more generous currency rate becomes available.

The sceadugengan are great procrastinators, particularly when it comes to parting with their hard earned.

• 3 weeks later...

Down here on Koh Tao you can't use a PC without a UPS.

First thing to do is find out what the power consumption of your computer is, then find a UPS with a higher output. The best brand (but not the cheapest) is APC, they produce some models that have built in voltage stabilisers.

I have found that most of the Thai made ones can't handle the power fluctuating too much and simply pack up after a while, I haven't had one last more than three months here. If you want a cheaper (1,500b) one Macro sometimes stock them.

• 4 weeks later...
Down here on Koh Tao you can't use a PC without a UPS.

First thing to do is find out what the power consumption of your computer is, then find a UPS with a higher output. The best brand (but not the cheapest) is APC, they produce some models that have built in voltage stabilisers.

I have found that most of the Thai made ones can't handle the power fluctuating too much and simply pack up after a while, I haven't had one last more than three months here. If you want a cheaper (1,500b) one Macro sometimes stock them.

I use a Syndome (bought at IT-City), the S-Series, and we are very, very satisfied with this UPS. It smoothens the peaks and drops and offers power for at least 2 hours (latest power down was 2 hours). We connected 2 computers and 2 printers on this UPS. We spent about THB 1800 for this UPS. By the way: IT-City is in CM but in CR there are several computer shops who offer UPS systems and even BigC might have some. The VA of an UPS is important to know, than you can calculate the time that you have power in case of powerdown.

Good luck

Edited by ISPY

• 6 months later...

Sorry Klik, I couldn`t help myself.

This is probably what i should have said: Niloc, your computer runs on 240 volts AC, whereas your standard car battery only give out 12V DC. They are not compatible in any way. Except without a lot of very expensive equipment. Which would make the whole process uneconomical.

Personally, although I have one, I dont need to use my UPS for my computer, because I never really need to save data etc. Actually, I have a notebook and the UPS is in line on the kids desktop computer.

When I return home to Thailand after my latest working trip, I`ll probably put a socket on the end of the secondary lead so as to plug a light into it, thus enabling you to sort out things for a short while(until the UPS flattens), whilst you are waiting for the power to be restored.

Hope you didnae take offence Niloc( did you take your name from the self locking nut?)

Cheers,

C35B.

No Chang, I did not take offence, when you are older you will take more time thinking before you jump in with smart alec suggestions.

My USB has a battery inside, that is why it is so heavy, all I am asking is could I exchange the internal battery for an external car battery. The conversion 12V - 240V is already handled by the internal hardware of the UPS, it also does it the other way, 240V-12V to charge the battery. I cannot see why it would not work.

BTW, Chang has not been 35baht for years!!

Colin

Your UPS is 240V in and 240V out. There`s no conversion to 12v DC. To do that you would need an invertor.

Not quite right. The UPS has two primary sections to it. The front end is 240VAC to 12VDC charging system. The 2nd stage is the inverter converting from the 12VDC of the battery to 240VAC out. A 12VDC car battery in place of the UPS primary battery would work with one caveat. The front end charging system of the UPS may not have sufficient capacity to charge the battery or potentially overheat/overload in doing so.

//edit - there is another subsystem and that is the automatic switch over system to switch over to the battery from power outage.

I stand corrected. But Can I assume the properties of the battery inside are not the same as a lead acid type battery?

They are sealed lead acid batteries in the UPSes so same properties. Actually, they are very similar to a motorcycle battery in size, rating and technology.

Block diagram:

APC_Fig1.gif

:):D:D

Svenivan, I got one for you that's new and that I don't use.

Give me a call.

Limbo :D