26 Years Old, Caucasion Male, Australian Native English Speaker, Diploma, Celta

patongster

It is a shame that someone who turned to TV for advice has received nothing but abuse! Apart from jdinasia, no one has really answered your question. You obviously put SOME thought into what you wanted to do as evidenced by your CELTA qualification.

The MOE in Thailand has decreed that to teach in this country one needs a degree qualification, that is the black and white of the situation here. In fact there are many people from all over the English speaking world that are teaching here, either because they "got" their degree by means other than attending university or distance learning, or because they have been able to find employment illegally.

I know of several people that have lived and worked here without a work permit in the teaching field, this is possible because of companies like Siam Computer, that will hire anybody that is a native English speaker and pay tham approx 30,000 Baht/month to teach in their contracted government schools. How they do this, I do not know, but I am aware that they allow their teachers 2 days for visa runs every month and three days every three months.

Would I hire you? I would have to interview you first and based on a favourable outcome of that interview and your position in the order of merit you would certainly be considered. There are many ways around the somewhat ridiculous visa/work permit rules and it just takes some creative thinking to overcome them. there are many here on TV that are the "haves"and they begrudge anybody else getting a job without jumping throught the same hoops that they had to jump through.

Good luck to you mate.

I am actually beginning to feel a bit sorry for the OP, but I do think that his comment in regards to the fake degree was asking for trouble. My advice to him would be to make preparations to begin a legitimate degree course if he wishes to make a serious career of teaching. He doesn't want to end up all bitter and back in Australia, driving a tram, like aussiestyle :o He will likely find work in Thailand without a degree, but it might not be legal.

Just to clear things up, I drive a train :D

Perhaps he shouldn't go to Thailand, I never used to be as bitter as I am before I went to LOS. It must of been all those sour Thai fruits I ate?

post-27248-1223896514_thumb.jpg

<br />Next year I want to stop working my dead end job, and teach english in Thailand for 1 year. The question is would you hire me.<br /><br />26 year old, caucasian male, Australian native english speaker, diploma, CELTA.<br /><br />No english teaching background, but I like to think my english level is good-high, and that I would actually care about doing my job to the best of my ability.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I personaly think you would be better suited to working as a club doorman - but you'd have to work on that right arm a bit

1. I am an Australian male.

2. I legally work as a teacher for a Thai government institution & have been doing so for 2 years.

3. I do not hold a degree of any type.

4. I do have "Trade" qualifications, which I submitted to the MOE. These qualifications were accepted.

I am actually beginning to feel a bit sorry for the OP, but I do think that his comment in regards to the fake degree was asking for trouble. My advice to him would be to make preparations to begin a legitimate degree course if he wishes to make a serious career of teaching. He doesn't want to end up all bitter and back in Australia, driving a tram, like aussiestyle :o He will likely find work in Thailand without a degree, but it might not be legal.

Don't feel sorry for me, like water of a ducks back mate.

It is a shame that someone who turned to TV for advice has received nothing but abuse! Apart from jdinasia, no one has really answered your question. You obviously put SOME thought into what you wanted to do as evidenced by your CELTA qualification.

The MOE in Thailand has decreed that to teach in this country one needs a degree qualification, that is the black and white of the situation here. In fact there are many people from all over the English speaking world that are teaching here, either because they "got" their degree by means other than attending university or distance learning, or because they have been able to find employment illegally.

I know of several people that have lived and worked here without a work permit in the teaching field, this is possible because of companies like Siam Computer, that will hire anybody that is a native English speaker and pay tham approx 30,000 Baht/month to teach in their contracted government schools. How they do this, I do not know, but I am aware that they allow their teachers 2 days for visa runs every month and three days every three months.

Would I hire you? I would have to interview you first and based on a favourable outcome of that interview and your position in the order of merit you would certainly be considered. There are many ways around the somewhat ridiculous visa/work permit rules and it just takes some creative thinking to overcome them. there are many here on TV that are the "haves"and they begrudge anybody else getting a job without jumping throught the same hoops that they had to jump through.

Good luck to you mate.

Thanks for the information, and the informative post.

I personaly think you would be better suited to working as a club doorman - but you'd have to work on that right arm a bit

Hahahaha, yeah I just noticed my underdeveloped right arm.

2. I legally work as a teacher for a Thai government institution & have been doing so for 2 years.

4. I do have "Trade" qualifications, which I submitted to the MOE. These qualifications were accepted.

Well I think that answers my question quite nicely, thanks.

Well put elkangorito. This is Thailand and nothing here is set in stone. I work with a guy who has been teaching at my school (Govt. school) for 5 years. He is over 55 years old, has a diploma, trade background (like yourself), and is totally legal (visa, WP, and TL) . Anything is possible in this country.

Well put elkangorito. This is Thailand and nothing here is set in stone. I work with a guy who has been teaching at my school (Govt. school) for 5 years. He is over 55 years old, has a diploma, trade background (like yourself), and is totally legal (visa, WP, and TL) . Anything is possible in this country.

Well said.

In Thailand, if the Thai's like you and think you are a good person, you will usually get what you want.

I was legale for 2 years with only a diploma in TEFL plus 3 or so trade certicifates and a few vocational caetificates as well. I shaved, had tidy hair, smiled, and always wore a tie; that was all I needed to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow give this dude a break, he come oin and is being honest and peopel are into him.

Mate welcome to Thailand. There are plenty of teaching jobs here (plenty of great teachers and plenty of teachers that are here to drink, shoot up and play up)

Don't take what some of these guys say to heart, seems like many just sit on here looking to create tension.

Have fun in Thailand

Well said. The OP is unworthy of being a model and example for students.

The same kind of ethics encourages teachers to pass students who ought to fail, and we have enough of that already in LOS.

So I'm unworthy of being a model and example to students. You know me do you? You are attacking my character, and you don't even know me, I could make many assumptions about you myself.

Your writing makes it very clear that you'd stoop to cheating and lying to accomplish your desires. Sorry, but that amount of character revealed from your writing causes me to answer a resounding "NO!" to your thread title. :o

OP you should try to start with some small language centre and move your way up the food chain.

A degree is required for university and international schools, but I would think with the lack of native teachers you could find work in an English language school.

Don't let some of the lumps on the TV get you down. They get their kicks out of putting people down.

Build a resume and send it to the various language schools around Bangkok. Use your real education and stay away from the diploma mills.

Good luck!

:o