Fishing In Thailand

ProfessorFart

In our villiage, they hold a fishing competition in a small impoundment about 1 acre in size.

The lake is well stocked and is only fished in 1 day per year, the day of the competion.

They use nets from the shore or tie tyres together to get to the middle and some even just use bare hands

What a laugh, they start off at sparrow fart and by mid morning the mekong is affecting a lot of the Piscatorial contestants.

As usual there is a running commentry on a PA that can be heard from 10 kilometres away but is a great spectacle and knowing how well most Thais can swim, nobody usually drowns.

• 3 weeks later...

Klong Yai close to Cambodia Trat way.

Beach fishing is poor as it's very shallow untill about 500 meters out.

I go overnight on a thai fishing boat sometimes. It's pritty pricy at 4,500 baht for 6 persons max for 24 hours. Last time caught a couple of dozen keepers between 5 of us. Good thai food dished up and bring your own drinks. Surprising that the crusty boats are equiped with GPS and Fishfinder. Even a live bait tank.

Catch baracuda (45cm), gropers (coral trout 30-40cm), perch (like NZ snapper without the bump on the head 20-60cm), sting rays and squid.

Going out on a 3 day 2 night trip on a bigger thai style fishing boat early next year. Should be out past koh chang. Max 10 people at 10,000 for the group. Have about 4 of us at the moment. If anyones interested PM me.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not a fisher myself but a fishing widow :o

My husband fishes in his little dingy right off the reef here on Koh PHangan, due to illegal overfishing by mainland trawlers it isn't as good as it once was, local knowledge is key anymore. But he still manages to catch a few good sized barracudas this time of year-- this one was about 6k.

post-4641-1168158869_thumb.jpg

I've fished a bit in Chiew Lan reservoir in Khao Sok National Park. Giant Snakehead fish are very fun to catch... and eat. they're a sucker for goofy top-water lures like the Devil's Horse or almost any buzz bait.

I've only caught fish in the 3 kilo range, but I've seen them up to probably 10+ kilo (caught in nets).

I'm hoping to get a fly fishing outfit soon and try my luck at catching big snakehead fish on poppers.

I've fished a bit in Chiew Lan reservoir in Khao Sok National Park. Giant Snakehead fish are very fun to catch... and eat. they're a sucker for goofy top-water lures like the Devil's Horse or almost any buzz bait.

I've only caught fish in the 3 kilo range, but I've seen them up to probably 10+ kilo (caught in nets).

I'm hoping to get a fly fishing outfit soon and try my luck at catching big snakehead fish on poppers.

A fly rod is great idea I have had the same urges.

But maybe a telescopic spinning rod would be better. What do you think?

Do you know if I can buy a rod and real in Bkk?

For giant snakeheads in the reservoirs you need a very strong rod and a reel with a decent drag locked up. If you give them any line you will lose them in the trees underwater, it's a short brutal fight with the snakehead often the winner.

professor..come on..these guys are talking about small fish when there is great sport to be had in bangkok..

siamese carp over 200lbs, mekong catfish over 300lbs , arapaima over 400lbs.

i stayed with these english guys that have a place just near the lake.

check them out.

fishing in thailand

OR you could just go there yourself and not pay 6-10,000 Baht a day for something that will cost maybe 1500 all in if you go yourself.

The so called secret spot is Bung Sam Larn in Bangkok at Thanon Navimin Soi 42 (just off Ramkhamhaeng) the local guys will be more than happy to help you tackle up and recommend bait etc, all you need to do is ask. Plus its much more fun trying to learn the place yourself and asking the locals what the score is. Rather than have someone do all the hardwork for you.

• 9 months later...
professor..come on..these guys are talking about small fish when there is great sport to be had in bangkok..

check them out.

fishing in thailand

OR you could just go there yourself and not pay 6-10,000 Baht a day for something that will cost maybe 1500 all in if you go yourself.

The so called secret spot is Bung Sam Larn in Bangkok at Thanon Navimin Soi 42 (just off Ramkhamhaeng) the local guys will be more than happy to help you tackle up and recommend bait etc, all you need to do is ask. Plus its much more fun trying to learn the place yourself and asking the locals what the score is. Rather than have someone do all the hardwork for you.

Yes theres nothing stopping you doing that, the cost is 1000BHT for the Rod, Upwards of 1000BHT for a decent bungalow,

around 800bht on bait if you want to stand a chance of the decent fish, 500bht for the rod hire (the hire tackle isnt really up to landing the bigger specimens) and a 1000BHT for a guide. Some of the guides are poor and you might be better off doing all yourself as suggested. Thenof course a little bit of terminal tackle and flavourngs etc (say 200 bhts worth) and soft drinks.

So all in around 4500BHT.

I can assure for the 5000 baht per angler we charge you'll catch anywhere between 4 to 10 times the number of fish on your first visit. Once we have shown you what to do, which guides to avoid, Im sure you will do exactly as suggested and go by yourself, that's the service we provide, some find it valuable. In fact Ive fished members on Bungsamran who had fished upwards of 12 times, and never caught a decent fish despite using a guide everytime. He fished one day with us, and caught his first Siamese Carp at 20kg, his biggest Mekong at 53kg, and his first few decent Pacu. If you know how to do all that....you don't need our services of course. :o

Thanks very much

Jules

Siam Fishing Tours

• 2 weeks later...

check them out.

fishing in thailand

I guess you mean "Pet Fish"? Wana read about the truth of those "monster fish", then start here: http://www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/185/45/

"this fish was stocked in May at 47kgs how can we be sure when we have 153 Mekong's, well this is a sad but funny story...

when our Mekong's were delivered the supplier handed us a piece of paper stating fish number weighs so many kgs when asked are they tagged no he proudly announced we weighed them then scratched a number on each ones head! Horrified we quickly checked one in the lorry and sure enough there neatly engraved on the poor sods head is his ID number."

As for comparing this "fishing/fishery" to anything in the wild, is like comparing a proper hunt for a Elk or Deer, to going behind the barn with your 36 Magnum and shooting a tied up grain fed monster Hog. :o

check them out.

fishing in thailand

Try here http://www.jimmysfishingpark.com .

I guess you mean "Pet Fish"? Wana read about the truth of those "monster fish", then start here: http://www.megafishingthailand.com/content/view/185/45/

"this fish was stocked in May at 47kgs how can we be sure when we have 153 Mekong's, well this is a sad but funny story...

when our Mekong's were delivered the supplier handed us a piece of paper stating fish number weighs so many kgs when asked are they tagged no he proudly announced we weighed them then scratched a number on each ones head! Horrified we quickly checked one in the lorry and sure enough there neatly engraved on the poor sods head is his ID number."

As for comparing this "fishing/fishery" to anything in the wild, is like comparing a proper hunt for a Elk or Deer, to going behind the barn with your 36 Magnum and shooting a tied up grain fed monster Hog. :o

Try this place http://www.jimmysfishingpark.com

Edited by biggle

• 4 weeks later...

My Favourite spot is near Mukdahan.

I catch Pla-duk and a few Pla-chon , mainly get stoned and drunk with the in-laws.

Great fun.

:D

It beats the cr@p out of Cowley boating lake on a wet Sunday afternoon anyway..... :o

[/quote

stoned and drunk ,, now that brings back memories of touring up to the Ord river (n'west Oz) the more l remember it the bigger the Barra get :D ,,,,,,,,, here it is walk out the back door ,,throw the line in the dam for some pla-duk or pla-nin ( too easy) and walk back inside ,, straight and sober,,,, :D

cheers

You tried this place?....looks good on the website...says hes opening a fly fishing lake aswell :o

Do they have a catch-and-release policy, or can you keep what you catch?

Not sure...sent them an email for details.

Seems in thailand the fishing parks usually favour catch n release

And the reason why…….. wow, a difficult one! Because most of those stocked "pet" fish are caught multiple times. But the funny thing is some of those operators are claiming and registering world records with the IGFA from those fish farms / ponds.

IGFA = The International Game Fish Association

Would anyone in their right mind claim a world record from here?

post-46636-1198215611_thumb.jpg

You tried this place?....looks good on the website...says hes opening a fly fishing lake aswell :o

Do they have a catch-and-release policy, or can you keep what you catch?

Not sure...sent them an email for details.

Seems in thailand the fishing parks usually favour catch n release

And the reason why…….. wow, a difficult one! Because most of those stocked "pet" fish are caught multiple times. But the funny thing is some of those operators are claiming and registering world records with the IGFA from those fish farms / ponds.

IGFA = The International Game Fish Association

Would anyone in their right mind claim a world record from here?

Lads

I'm a bit new to this fishing lark but I thought I would buy myself a rod and reel.The problem I have is casting with the reel I bought which is an Omoto SBC 6000 baitcast.It keeps getting snagged up inside the spool mechanism. I'm the only farang in the village and none of my Thai mates have the same reel so they can't tell me how it works.I've tried the Omoto website but no joy.Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers.

Lads

I'm a bit new to this fishing lark but I thought I would buy myself a rod and reel.The problem I have is casting with the reel I bought which is an Omoto SBC 6000 baitcast.It keeps getting snagged up inside the spool mechanism. I'm the only farang in the village and none of my Thai mates have the same reel so they can't tell me how it works.I've tried the Omoto website but no joy.Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers.

Sounds like its a multiplier which most thais seem to use on the fishing parks, try a simple fixed spool reel and you'll have no trouble, cast out, adjust the drag, sit down, drink some Leo, have a bite to eat and wait for the noise of the reelfeeding out then strike....sweet :o

PS Merry Xmas

Edited by Flash500

Sorry should have checked website first...yes it is a multiplier, and unless you master it you'll end up with burnt thumbs and birds nests :o ...not worth the hastle....this is only my opinion before I get inundated with diehard seafishermen who love using them :D:D ...each to their own.

Sorry should have checked website first...yes it is a multiplier, and unless you master it you'll end up with burnt thumbs and birds nests :o ...not worth the hastle....this is only my opinion before I get inundated with diehard seafishermen who love using them :D:D ...each to their own.

Thanks Flash

The symptons you mentioned are spot on.What does a multiplier mean? :D

I have been to a number of fishing ponds now and only a few let you keep what you catch.. some even let you pay per kg for what you catch and take (that is how they do it near my home, im the only farang there). At bungsamran you can never take anything (perhaps the small baitfish)

I just fish for the fun of it. Bungsamran was the most fun because of the big fish, fishing near my home in Bangyai is fun too the fish are smaller but still fun. As for wild fishing i doubt there is much wild fishing to be had around bangkok and pattaya.

As for wild fishing i doubt there is much wild fishing to be had around bangkok and pattaya.

Pattaya has plenty of fresh water but mostly fishing parks then there is a little bit of salt water around the place for some tasty rock fish :o

Sure, i know about the sea. Most of the fish you catch at the sea are small. But i was refering to freshwater, i dont see much wild freshwater around. So i fish in fish farms, it is still fun and you know you got a higher chance of catching something. It still takes skill (at least near my home it does )

Sure, i know about the sea. Most of the fish you catch at the sea are small. But i was refering to freshwater, i dont see much wild freshwater around. So i fish in fish farms, it is still fun and you know you got a higher chance of catching something. It still takes skill (at least near my home it does )

I fish in some of the local fishing parks and it is a fun day out but always catch and release those nasty mud suckers that I catch.

Saltwater fish are good eats in my book ...

I fish in some of the local fishing parks and it is a fun day out but always catch and release those nasty mud suckers that I catch.

Saltwater fish are good eats in my book ...

I fish here in the local fishing parcs too, im going to one after this message. I have been in one of th fishing parks in pattaya. So far the best fishing park was Bungsamran. The fish are all monsters there 15-20 kg are the smallest and you normally catch a lot of them. But there are fish of 100kg (have seen a 60kg one beeing caught). But i cant go there alone because you cant handle a fish on your rod and using a net to get him out at the same time.

• 1 year later...
Sorry should have checked website first...yes it is a multiplier, and unless you master it you'll end up with burnt thumbs and birds nests :) ...not worth the hastle....this is only my opinion before I get inundated with diehard seafishermen who love using them :D:D ...each to their own.

I find the multiplyer reels more suited to the type of big game fishing here in thailand, dont be put off but the birds nests just remember you have to use your thumb to keep the speed of the spool controled in relation to the speed the line is traveling..ie if the spool goes faster than the line it will birds nest, also remember to give the spool a heavy thumb as the bait hits the water and almost stops as thats where the worst birds nests will happen, I never owned an okuma but have tried it and believe me its one of the more easy casting reels to control...there are much harder reels to control on the market ,actualy its just a matter of educating your thumb and once that happens you never want to go back to a spining reel,

also its now quite common to install super magnets (rare earth magnets) into the side of the reel but of course this only works if your spool is made from aloy ( lenzes law)as apposed to plastic ( not sure about okuma ) first scratch the coating on the spool where it cant be seen to see if its actualy aloy underneath but anyway for the moment just concentrate on educating your thumb,

i only use mutiplyers these days avet,penn and abu really more difficult to control than the okuma.

i love the smell of burning thumb in the mornings

I've fished all over Thailand, but mostly in the north out of Chiang Mai, and a few reservoirs and streams in the province of Kanchanaburi. I mostly fish with a fly rod and use big lures I make myself. I call them lures because they have so much glue and artificial materials they more closely resemble plugs than flies. I've been to 4 reservoirs north of Chiang Mai and Sirikit reservoir many times, and the huge Ping River reservoir to the south. It is always challenging fishing that is totally unlike anything in the fishing parks. We mostly fish for giant snakeheads (pla shadow) and jungle perch because they take top water lures so well. It can be very exciting watching a giant snakehead explode on your lure. The problem with the natural reservoirs is you are always competing with the local net fishermen.

The fishing parks are okay for an afternoon's entertainment, but it's hardly real fishing... even though your success is almost guaranteed. The good thing is you don't have to travel too far. Most fishing parks are not set up for fly fishing so we have to use the local methods... bait. What I do find a real joke is the registering of these "pet" fish as world records. That is total BS.

My favorite fishing in Thailand is in the clear mountain rivers in the northern part of Kanchanaburi province. It is more like my home in Canada.

I've posted a bunch of my Thai fishing photos on another thread on this forum so I won't repeat them. If anybody is interested in looking at any of my thousands of photos they only need to go to the fishbc forum in one of my dozens of sub-albums....

http://gallery.fishbc.com/gallery/view_alb...mName=ianforbes

or here...

http://gallery.flybc.ca/MarchBrown