Best Route To Krabi From Chang Mai?

el gaucho

What would you do? Train to Bangkok, then fly to Krabi?
Nearest train station is Trang, about  135 kms from Krabi

With the advent of budget airlines, although prices are slowing creeping up and up, I'd be tempted to fly both legs. There again, if you haven't done the CMai - BKK route by train yet it's worth giving it a go, if you've got the time. Take the aircon 2nd class (lower sleeper bunk; larger) - it's a lot cleaner and quieter than fan only. The train makes a stop at Don Muang in Bangkok (airport) so no hassle that end. Journey time averages about 12-14 hours, though, and will cost around 6-800 baht depending on the speed rating of the train. Always find it a relaxing way to travel and hanging off the back of the carriage with a beer in hand. :o

Thanks jackr. Looks like we'll do just that. Train sounds too fun to miss.

Incidentaly how much are flights to Bk from Chang Mai?

Any ideas on how much it is to fly from Bk to Krabi also?

Thanks again!

www.thaiair.com - Thai Airways website with booking function.

www.nokair.co.th - Thai Airways co-owned low cost airline

www.airasia.com - Another lowcost airline

www.orient-thai.com - Yet another lowcost airline

With the advent of budget airlines, although prices are slowing creeping up and up, I'd be tempted to fly both legs. There again, if you haven't done the CMai - BKK route by train yet it's worth giving it a go, if you've got the time. Take the aircon 2nd class (lower sleeper bunk; larger) - it's a lot cleaner and quieter than fan only. The train makes a stop at Don Muang in Bangkok (airport) so no hassle that end. Journey time averages about 12-14 hours, though, and will cost around 6-800 baht depending on the speed rating of the train. Always find it a relaxing way to travel and hanging off the back of the carriage with a beer in hand. :D

I did this and it's not bad at all, though I got the top bunk which was OK but I only JUST fitted in. :o The price WAS around the 650 mark, IIRC. Get some food before you board the train, the stuff they serve on it is outrageously overpriced.

Thanks jackr. Looks like we'll do just that. Train sounds too fun to miss.

Incidentaly how much are flights to Bk from Chang Mai?

Any ideas on how much it is to fly from Bk to Krabi also?

Thanks again!

CMai-Bkk flights are usually somewhere between a 1,000 and 1,500 baht with Air Asia, though they were down to 500 baht in the low season. Have a look on their website. Add about 200 baht for tax and admin etc. Not sure if AA fly to Krabi from Bangkok, but I'm pretty sure Nokair do. Book early as it's approaching the high season!

Note! Krabi Airport is a fair way from Ao Nang beach and I've heard of people being ripped-off going direct. Better to try and get a songthaew or tuk tuk to Krabi town and then a big songthaew (20baht...ish) to Ao Nang, if you have the time and inclination.

Good luck :o