Chonburi Buffalo Races

HowardJohnson

Have just come back from Bang Saen. Saw a poster down that way saying the buffalo races were on the 13th.I know I commented it would be better on a Sunday than a Monday. Give us your feedback if you manage to get to them.

Pattaya mail news paper and the website had a short article about them. I pasted the article below.

Buffalo races set for October 12 - 13

Choice water buffaloes are pawing the ground once again for the 137th Chonburi Buffalo Races to be galloped on the auspicious days of October 12 and 13.

This race, believed to be unique in Thailand and the world, is this year again being organized by the Chonburi Provincial Administration and the Tourism Authority of Thailand, to be run precisely on the 14th night of the waxing moon in the 11th lunar month.

Two races will be run on the grounds in front of both the Chonburi City Hall and the Muang Chonburi Hall, accompanied by other festival activities such as a traditional Thai sports competition, a singing contest, a parade of traditional carts, normally drawn in the villages by water buffaloes, and Miss Village beauty contests.

Just drove up through Chonburi from Klaeng, had several big posters for a festival with buffalo races, more towards Klaeng however, and from what my girlfriend said, this festival went from the 19th to the 28th, with races on several of the days in different areas of rayong here it looked like. There were several different posters along route 344. Sorry don't have more details, might be able to get them next time on the road in a few days.

There are more races today and I'm going to go check it out and I'll post pics asap.

Part of the festivities included a motorcycle and sound show on Sunday that was a lot of fun:

Chonburi Thailand Motorcycle Rally (Part 1) link

Hooked up with the Friend Highway Motorcycle Club to attend a very fun rally in the tiny Chonburi town of Pluak Daeng (literally, Red Termite Village)

1012FriendHwySm.jpg

The Friend Highway Club mostly ride vintage Yamaha SRs. I'd never even heard of this bike until recently, but I'm now a BIG fan of these vintage 400cc single cylinder thumpers! Check 'em out:

1012SRSm.jpg

Cafe Racer style, added chrome and tricked out suspension:

1012SR3Sm.jpg

Check out these pipes 1.gif

1012SR2Sm.jpg

You can tell a lot of these guys get their custom pipes done by one master:

1012SRBlueSm.jpg

Kym Thompson on his Yamaha SR BikeEmo.gif

1012KymZm.jpg

(But can he surf???) Wink.gif

Some other remarkable bikes too! A classic 1953 Triumph 04.gif

1012TriumphSm.jpg