Talad Nats - Markets To You And Me

jackyseymour

I don't have enough to keep my housekeeper fully occupied and she tells me her other employer's had to relocate. She and her husband are a bit strapped for cash for college fees for the kids etc, so suggested she might try a stall at a local market, there's one at different locations every evening here in Phuket. She seemed not to know how to apply for a slot. I'm assuming an application to the local OrBorJor? Anyone have any experience/can ask a Thai spouse/friend the potential timespan between application and setup, also what kind of fee would be expected to be paid here on Phuket? Any info gratefully received. :o

Most markets, that I know of, are usually privately run, and situated on private land.

If the market is well established and popular, you will have to find the owner of the market, discuss what you want to sell, and join a queue for a position that may become available. You may find that you have to make bids on the more popular positions.

There is a lot of rivalry in a market environment, so if you set up a stall, say for example, buying second hand cooking oil from all the other vendors and paying more than the other guy doing this, you may well find yourself on the end of some sort of vendetta & being run out of the market.

If the market is only partially full, just turn up on the day with your goods, find the co-ordinator and negotiate for a position. No hassels at all.

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

You may get a better response if you ask in the Phuket forum. A little more detail, like the area will usually get more constructive replies.

Otherwise take her there and get her to ask, 'cos if she is too shy to ask these questions at the market she may have a problem making a go of it.