What Does This Mean ?

ZOVOX

I think the literal transaltion ( yawn) is "Face Hate" or "Hate Face"

But it usually amounts to "Ugly"

As apposed to  Na rak - Lovely (" Face Love" / " Love Face"))

Even though they sound identical, (same phonemes, falling tone and vowel length), they are not the same "naa".

The "naa" that means 'face' is spelt หน้า whereas the prefix in naa kliat, naa rak, naa kin, naa yuu etc, is spelt น่า . It can loosely be translated as "worthy of" to get the general meaning (of course you have to adapt each individual translation to make it fit with the rest of the context).

I think the literal transaltion ( yawn) is "Face Hate" or "Hate Face"

But it usually amounts to "Ugly"

As apposed to  Na rak - Lovely (" Face Love" / " Love Face"))

Even though they sound identical, (same phonemes, falling tone and vowel length), they are not the same "naa".

The "naa" that means 'face' is spelt หน้า whereas the prefix in naa kliat, naa rak, naa kin, naa yuu etc, is spelt น่า . It can loosely be translated as "worthy of" to get the general meaning (of course you have to adapt each individual translation to make it fit with the rest of the context).

The spelling may not be such a strong argument. On the basis of Dioi (a dialect of Northern Zhuang, I think, but certainly Northern Tai of Yunnan) na 'to prefer, rather', whose tone indicates a correspondence with Thai หน้า rather than Thai น่า, Li (Handbook, Section 6.6) reckons that the etymologically correct spelling is หน้า. On the other hand, he does regard หน้า 'face' and น่า 'worth (doing)' as separate words.

Do we have any evidence from Southern, Northern or Isaan dialects? The vast majority of them should distinguish หน้า and น่า. Some of us know such dialects; I do not.

น่าเกลียด can also be used in conjunction with ดู in the context of something being highly inapporpriate or objectionable in a given situation (to the point of being seen as "ugly") - eg มันดูน่าเกลียด

น่าเกลียด can also be used in conjunction with ดู in the context of something being highly inapporpriate or objectionable in a given situation (to the point of being seen as "ugly") - eg มันดูน่าเกลียด

Correct. An American variation of it would be the ubiquitous "(That's) GROSS!"

My wife keeps saying 'Nar guet' to me - Can someone tell me what it means exactly ? I think it's something like disgusting.

Despite all of my learned colleague's input ZOVOX I think it can best be translated as..

"She doesn't have a high opinion of you, at times!"

You haven't bee trying to do something weird, have you? :o

Nothing too wierd. My wife says it too me on a daily basis - it's become a bit of a running joke in the family, because i use it back at her. And my 9 year-old step daughter says it to Papa, especially when i haven't shaved for a week - she doesn't like kissing the hairy cheek and says i'm 'no handsome'.

Nothing too wierd. My wife says it too me on a daily basis - it's become a bit of a running joke in the family, because i use it back at her. And my 9 year-old step daughter says it to Papa, especially when i haven't shaved for a week - she doesn't like kissing the hairy cheek and says i'm 'no handsome'.

ZOVOX, next time try the word "ทุเรศ" (tu reyt)* on her instead. It is similar to น่าเกลียด when used in the same context. My wife says it to me alot, especially when I've got gas :o

* sorry, I don't know how to use the standard transliteration system.

ZOVOX, next time try the word "ทุเรศ" (tu reyt)* on her instead. It is similar to น่าเกลียด when used in the same context. My wife says it to me alot, especially when I've got gas :o

Thanks ed B ! I'm spending Christmas with about 10 Thai females, including the wife, step daughter, mother-in-law and her friends. As i will be the sole male westerner in the house, i need as much vocabulary armour to fend-off these gossiping women. And Thai women do like to gossip, especially about me !!

ZOVOX, next time try the word "ทุเรศ" (tu reyt)* on her instead. It is similar to น่าเกลียด when used in the same context. My wife says it to me alot, especially when I've got gas :D

that's the exact word my wife uses to me when I play "Dutch Ovens" :o

QUOTE(ZOVOX @ 2004-12-02 15:54:48)

ZOVOX, next time try the word "ทุเรศ" (tu reyt)* on her instead. It is similar to น่าเกลียด when used in the same context. My wife says it to me alot, especially when I've got gas

Gentlemen, be careful, you're providing perfect ammunition to the falang despiser Siamjai over on the news forum on the thread East meets West, falangs marrying Issan women.

Turning to ทุเรศ I'm not sure how to differentiate it from หมั่นไส้ ,could it be หมั่นไส้ suggests moral disapproval as well as revulsion or is it หมั่นไส้ suggests one has had enough of the unpleasant behaviour?

Is it possible that at sometime in the future Mrs Edward B's ทุเรส could turn into a หมั่นไส้ especially if Edward insists on still drinking beer Chang?

With apologies for any false assumptions, Edward.

bannork.