If You Could Choose Just One..

On the criteria that I would only be allowed to choose one currency and then stick with it for the next ten years I would choose Sterling.

The reasoning is simple.

If I hold Sterling, up, down, steady as she goes, no matter what I can always go back to the UK, which is where I would go if the sh1t hit the fan.

The OP is asking where to put all your savings if you put all your savings in any other currency than your home currency for a period of 10 years you would be risking burning your bridges - a silly thing to do if you have set up home in a place where you are effectively on constant visitor status.

Currently I have my cash split pretty evenly between GBP and USD and have no immediate plans to change that situation. But if I had to change into one single currency it would be USD or just maybe Aussie Dollars. I don't think the Euro is any more stable than what I have at present. Never hear much about Singapore Dollars though, anyone have any thoughts on the stability there?

Oh, just remembered I have 100+ million in my bank here. Unfortunately that's in VND :o but if it was otherwise maybe I'd be somewhere on a yacht sipping cocktails.

Err chinese yuan rinminbi - long live our new masters.

No, seriously what are the arguments against rinminbi?

NOW WHO CAN HELP ME GET STARTED WITH THIS MARKET GAMBLING STUFF?

Edited by unomi

First choice: U.S. Dollar, second choice Jappanese Yen, third choice German mark when it becomes available again(I am assuming that the Euro will not be around ten years from now!) :o

First choice JapYen second Swissy. I am assuming US$ will not be around 5 years from now :D

First choice: U.S. Dollar, second choice Jappanese Yen, third choice German mark when it becomes available again(I am assuming that the Euro will not be around ten years from now!) :D

First choice JapYen second Swissy. I am assuming US$ will not be around 5 years from now :(

If Barrack Hussein Obama is elected president you might just be right :D I would watch out for the new currency though, the Canameropeso :o:D:D

First choice: U.S. Dollar, second choice Jappanese Yen, third choice German mark when it becomes available again(I am assuming that the Euro will not be around ten years from now!) :(

First choice JapYen second Swissy. I am assuming US$ will not be around 5 years from now :D

If Barrack Hussein Obama is elected president you might just be right :D I would watch out for the new currency though, the Canameropeso :D:D:D

and if McCain is elected the GNoE™ might as well adopt the Iraqi Dinar as currency :o

A bit of info from money magazine

Bulls, Bears, Donkeys and Elephants

By TOMMY McCALL

Since 1929, Republicans and Democrats have each controlled the presidency for nearly 40 years. So which party has been better for American pocketbooks and capitalism as a whole? Well, here's an experiment: imagine that during these years you had to invest exclusively under either Democratic or Republican administrations. How would you have fared?

As of Friday, a $10,000 investment in the S.& P. stock market index* would have grown to $11,733 if invested under Republican presidents only, although that would be $51,211 if we exclude Herbert Hoover's presidency during the Great Depression. Invested under Democratic presidents only, $10,000 would have grown to $300,671 at a compound rate of 8.9 percent over nearly 40 years.

I hate to say it, being an Aussie, but prepare for a stronger US dollar in 2009. The dollar has broken a six-year downtrend,

and it’s fast becoming the currency of choice as the credit crisis spreads to all corners of the globe.

That’s why its the best place to be for safety and profits in the coming 12 months…

Gold would be nice

Or

Gold would be 'worth' about ….50 sheep or 20 camels or 1 ton of rice / wheat or barley or 85 pigs or 100 hours of work an ounce :D

But again we are not talking about commodities here

So as for... the currency

If I'm based in the US then I would choose USD as my base currency.

But if with free restrictions on trading currency, I will probably have both the USD and EUR .

Because both, the USD and EUR cannot both appreciate against each other GENERALLY, unless you mean against different currencies,

Emmm….what do U think?…..makes sense, Yeah? :o

I hate to say it, being an Aussie, but prepare for a stronger US dollar in 2009. The dollar has broken a six-year downtrend,

and it’s fast becoming the currency of choice as the credit crisis spreads to all corners of the globe.

That’s why its the best place to be for safety and profits in the coming 12 months…

Lindsay, You are certainly correct that the dollar is indeed headed higher because it is the currency of choice (flight to safety), but now that the oil bubble has burst and oil is still headed lower from here the Dollar benefits from lower oil prices and so that is also part of the puzzle. :o