Cat Sick After Vaccination

My 2 cats just received 3 shot yesterday.

One was for rabies, another I think was call fel-0-vac, and another leukemia shot. My cats are strictly indoors, never interacts with another cats and I didn't think they needed the leukemina one but the vet insisted it was for the better. Oh well total 1,140 baht.

One cat was ok. However kinda running a high fever, very heavy and rapid breathing. Also there's a big bump where the vaccination was from his last shot a few years ago. The bump never went away. Anyone know if this is dangerous or needs to be removed?

My other cat a persian. I think she is sick and sore and really pissed off. I can't even touch her or carry her without a bad hissing sound. I think she's in pain. Hasn't moved and can barely walk down the stairs. No food or water since. She's been in a corner under the stairs since.

Do you guys think 3 shots were too much? What can I do help heal? Will my cat be at risk?

One was for rabies, another I think was call fel-0-vac, and another leukemia shot. My cats are strictly indoors, never interacts with another cats and I didn't think they needed the leukemina one but the vet insisted it was for the better. Oh well total 1,140 baht.

One cat was ok. However kinda running a high fever, very heavy and rapid breathing. Also there's a big bump where the vaccination was from his last shot a few years ago. The bump never went away. Anyone know if this is dangerous or needs to be removed?

My other cat a persian. I think she is sick and sore and really pissed off. I can't even touch her or carry her without a bad hissing sound. I think she's in pain. Hasn't moved and can barely walk down the stairs. No food or water since. She's been in a corner under the stairs since.

Do you guys think 3 shots were too much? What can I do help heal? Will my cat be at risk?

I brought this up with my vet today, while discussing this year's vaccination plan for my cats. Her reply was "Why on earth would you give three shorts at the same time? You maximize the risk for negative side effects and also the risk that the vaccines won't give the desired protection."

In other words:

1/ Yes, I think three shots were too much.

2/ Go see another veterinarian ASAP.

3/ Yes.

In my previous life as a cat breeder, I would never have dreamed of letting a vet give three shots on the same occasion.

/ Priceless

I brought this up with my vet today, while discussing this year's vaccination plan for my cats. Her reply was "Why on earth would you give three shorts at the same time? You maximize the risk for negative side effects and also the risk that the vaccines won't give the desired protection."

In other words:

1/ Yes, I think three shots were too much.

2/ Go see another veterinarian ASAP.

3/ Yes.

In my previous life as a cat breeder, I would never have dreamed of letting a vet give three shots on the same occasion.

/ Priceless

I thought so. But the vet showed me the vaccination plans.

1. Fel-O-vax IV (fort dodge) feline distemper

2. Fel-O-vax Lv-K (fort dodge) leukemia

3. RabiSure (pfizer) rabies

Edited by mdechgan

Sorry about your cats, mdechgan. Sure enough they both suffer from adverse reactions to the vaccines. What you can do about it? Treat it right at the cause, which regular medicine can not do. Only homeopathy can.

Anyway, here some interesting reading:

http://www.naturalvetforpets.com/vaccines.html

Vets in UK speak against annual shots - Veterinary Times, UK - late January 2004

... JAVMA in 1995, Smith notes that

'there is evidence that some vaccines provide immunity beyond one year. In fact, according to research there is no proof that many of the yearly vaccinations are necessary and that protection in many instances may be life long'; also,

'Vaccination is a potent medical procedure with both benefits and risks for the patient'; further that,

'Revaccination of patients with sufficient immunity does not add measurably to their disease resistance, and may increase their risk of adverse post-vaccination events.'

Finally, he states that: 'Adverse events may be associated with the antigen, adjuvant, carrier, preservative or combination thereof. Possible adverse events include failure to immunise, anaphylaxis, immunosuppression, autoimmune disorders, transient infections and/or long-term infected carrier states.'

The report of the American Animal Hospital Association Canine Vaccine Taskforce in JAAHA (39 March/April 2003) is also interesting reading:

'Current knowledge supports the statement that no vaccine is always safe, no vaccine is always protective and no vaccine is always indicated';

'Misunderstanding, misinformation and the conservative nature of our profession have largely slowed adoption of protocols advocating decreased frequency of vaccination';

'Immunological memory provides durations of immunity for core infectious diseases that far exceed the traditional recommendations for annual vaccination. This is supported by a growing body of veterinary information as well as well-developed epidemiological vigilance in human medicine that indicates immunity induced by vaccination is extremely long lasting and, in most cases, lifelong.'

Further, the evidence shows that the duration of immunity for rabies vaccine, canine distemper vaccine, canine parvovirus vaccine, feline panleukopaenia vaccine, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivurus have all been demonstrated to be a minimum of seven years, by serology for rabies and challenge studies for all others.

The veterinary surgeons below fully accept that no single achievement has had greater impact on the lives and well-being of our patients, our clients and our ability to prevent infectious diseases than the developments in annual vaccines. We, however, fully support the recommendations and guidelines of the American Animal Hospitals Association Taskforce, to reduce vaccine protocols for dogs and cats such that booster vaccinations are only given every three years, and only for core vaccines unless otherwise scientifically justified.

We further suggest that the evidence currently available will soon lead to the following facts being accepted:

The immune systems of dogs and cats mature fully at six months and any modified live virus (MLV) vaccine given after that age produces immunity that is good for the life of that pet.

If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralise the antigens from the subsequent so there is little or no effect; the pet is not 'boosted', nor are more memory cells induced.

Not only are annual boosters for canine parvovirus and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anaemia.

There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines.

Puppies and kittens receive antibodies through their mothers' milk. This natural protection can last eight to 14 weeks.

Puppies and kittens should NOT be vaccinated at less than eight weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralise the vaccine and little protection will be produced.

Vaccination at six weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first effective vaccine.

Vaccines given two weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system.

This would give possible new guidelines as follows:

A series of vaccinations is given starting at eight weeks of age (or preferably later) and given three to four weeks apart, up to 16 weeks of age.

One further booster is given sometime after six months of age and will then provide life-long immunity. ...

http://www.holisticat.com/vaccinations.html

Vaccination for Cats: Helpful or Harmful? Written by Dr. Don Hamilton

... Obviously there are several issues here that affect an immunization decision. Each is a separate factor with its own issues. I’ll start with booster vaccinations, as this is the clearest area and one with little risk of error. Simply put, there is almost never a need for booster immunization. Once immunized, an animal, as with humans, is protected for life. Further vaccinations do not improve the immunity. The following quote, from Ron Schultz, Ph.D., and Tom Phillips, DVM, appeared in Current Veterinary Therapy XI in 1992 (This is a purely conventional textbook, and Drs. Schultz and Phillips are respected veterinary immunologists in the academic community):

A practice that was started many years ago and that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual revaccinations. Almost without exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual revaccination. Immunity to viruses persists for years or for the life of the animal. Successful vaccination to most bacterial pathogens produces an immunologic memory that remains for years, allowing an animal to develop a protective anamnestic (secondary) response when exposed to virulent organisms.

Only the immune response to toxins requires boosters (e.g. tetanus toxin booster, in humans, is recommended once every 7-10 years), and no toxin vaccines are currently used for dogs and cats. Furthermore, revaccination with most viral vaccines fails to stimulate an anamnestic (secondary) response as a result of interference by existing antibody (similar to maternal antibody interference).

The practice of annual vaccination in our opinion should be considered of questionable efficacy unless it is used as a mechanism to provide an annual physical examination or is required by law (i.e., certain states require annual revaccination for rabies). (Italics added) In essence, Drs. Schultz and Phillips are stating that the only reasons for annual vaccination are legal (as with rabies vaccination) or as a means of manipulating guardians into bringing their companions for examinations (rather than simply recommending an examination). They also clearly state that booster vaccines provide no other benefit, including improved or added immunization. ...

Cardiomyopathy did not affect dogs before the parvovirus outbreak (or if so it was very rare), but in the years since the outbreak it has appeared. The number of cases has especially risen over the past five to ten years, coincident with the rise of inflammatory bowel disease in dogs. The Merck Veterinary Manual states that, "The cause [of dilated cardiomyopathy in dogs] is still unknown although viral infection and resultant autoimmune reaction against the damaged myocardium are suspect…. Since the canine parvovirus (CPV) pandemic of 1978, male Doberman pinschers appear to be highly vulnerable to both CPV and cardiomyopathy." (Fraser) In the years since this was written (in 1986), we have begun to see cardiomyopathy in many other breeds as well as Doberman pinschers.

...I believe the author of this section of The Merck Veterinary Manual was correct, but I believe that parvovirus vaccination is even more likely to be the cause in most cases. I also believe that this explains the occurrence of cardiomyopathy in cats. Perhaps the heart muscle association of the feline parvovirus (panleukopenia virus) was not seen in natural infections, but vaccination brought it to the surface. Cardiomyopathy is an autoimmune disease, and vaccines are major causes of autoimmune disease. In my opinion, these connections are too close to be coincidence alone.

Another vaccine that induces great anguish for guardian and companion is the rabies vaccine. I see many cases of fear and aggression that stem from rabies vaccination. ...

...Other conditions we see frequently in veterinary medicine today are not so directly traceable to a particular vaccine, but the general connection to vaccination is clear to many practitioners. Hyperthyroidism (increased production of thyroid hormones) was not seen when I first graduated from veterinary school. It was not simply misdiagnosed. The symptoms are so characteristic that the syndrome would have been recognized even if the cause was unknown. The disease did not exist. ...

... The most obvious vaccine-induced problem is one that is deathly serious, causing great suffering among cats and cat companions. Fibrosarcomas, a type of cancer, occur more and more as a result of vaccination. The vaccines that are implicated are the rabies and feline leukemia virus vaccines. These cancers arise at the site of injection of one of the vaccines. Researchers have identified vaccine particles within the cancer mass in a number of cases; the link is definite. Many veterinarians now refer to these cancers as vaccine sarcomas. ...

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1385&aid=961

Adverse Reactions to Vaccinations in Cats

Anaphylaxis

Vaccine-associated sarcoma

Neurologic and eye disease

Discomfort and swelling at the injection site

Mild fever, decreased appetite and activity

Respiratory signs after intranasal vaccines

Lameness

Birth defects or infections

You can also simple google: adverse reaction vaccines cats or side effects vaccines cats

Several vaccines given at the same is not advisable as it increases the risks on side-effects, whether that is given as single jabs or as a cocktail. ALL vets in Chiang Mai still give cocktails.

And last but not least:

... Once I opened my eyes to the possibility of vaccine-induced illness, I began to see it commonly. It even became clear that certain vaccines could cause chronic illness that resembled the acute disease that the vaccine was intended to prevent. <quoted from: Dr. Don Hamilton>

And that's the most frustrating thing I come accross so very often. Let alone the stories that dog and cat owners tell me about the illnesses following vaccinations given as cocktails, annually, and in case of puppies and kittens way too many, at an too young age and too close together (generally two weeks in between the jabs). :o

Nienke

Edited by Nienke

I have a cat positive now with Leukemia so I wish I would have had his shots earlier as he has had a couple of bites from cats. :o and I think that is how he got it.

However The vet gave him his other shot (not sure which one) and would not give him a 2 types at the same time. She said wait a month and this is just at the non profit animal clinic.

In the states I had a cat who was innoculated when he was a kitten. My partner at the time convinced me that the yearly boosters were just a way for the vets to keep making money.

The cat is nearly 16 years old, has Always been an outdoor cat and is still alive and kicking.. (ok he is on his last legs but I dont think yearly bossters would have extended his life).

He still eats and goes out side.. my sister has him now.

Sorry to hear about your cat I hope it gets better soon!!!

I have a cat positive now with Leukemia so I wish I would have had his shots earlier as he has had a couple of bites from cats. :o and I think that is how he got it.

However The vet gave him his other shot (not sure which one) and would not give him a 2 types at the same time. She said wait a month and this is just at the non profit animal clinic.

In the states I had a cat who was innoculated when he was a kitten. My partner at the time convinced me that the yearly boosters were just a way for the vets to keep making money.

The cat is nearly 16 years old, has Always been an outdoor cat and is still alive and kicking.. (ok he is on his last legs but I dont think yearly bossters would have extended his life).

He still eats and goes out side.. my sister has him now.

Sorry to hear about your cat I hope it gets better soon!!!

Your cat has leukemia even after vaccination shots?

So these leukemia vaccination shots don't work?

My cats are better now. But I'm never going to give double or triple shots anymore.

But they were really sick and in pain for 3 days.

• 7 months later...

All vaccinations are useless and dangerous. Vaccine researcher and former government scientist Viera Scheibner PhD warns that "Vaccines contain substaces that are so dangerous that they should not ever be injected into a human being." One may as well add: "...or an animal. for that matter." I remember a New Zealand doctor once saying of a particular vaccine: "I wouldn't give this vaccine to my dog, let alone a child."

I once talked to a New Zealand cat breeder who told me that she and other cat breeders she knows were losing so much valuable breeding stock through sickness and death as a result of vaccination, that they took to falsifying their cats' certificates to say they had been vaccinated, when in fact they hadnt, so as to be able to take them to cat shows. It was an act not so much of deception, than of sheer desperation.

Try googling 'Colleen Driscoll animal vaccination' and also check out the album 'Animal vaccination' on the 'Vaccination Information Network' on facebook. Also, just google 'vaccine reactions cats'.

Vaccination is an ugly and brutal money-making racket. I suggest you don't again fall for the hype that vaccines prevent diseases. It's just a big con.

All the best,

Erwin