Meaning Of Bangkok Taxi Colors

GeneralFritzPlugmaster

Taxis in Bkk seem to be grouped by color.

Candy-apple pink taxis are predominant around khao san road.

But tourists are advised not to take the taxis around Khao San road, rather to use those along surrounding streets. Does this mean: "if you take the pink, your ride will stink"?

I noticed an all blue taxi with numbers and markings all over, one of which said "intelligent taxi."

Does anyone know if the colors represent different companies

if so which companies are the best to ride?

Edited by GeneralFritzPlugmaster

The green and yellow ones all support Norwich City

So they’re a bunch of losers then :o Sorry couldn’t resist.

I find the pink cabs are newer cars. It all depends on the drivers, it can be hit and miss sometimes no matter what company.

I’m surprised how many drivers claim to be off duty cops or volunteer police.

Taxis in Bkk seem to be grouped by color.

Candy-apple pink taxis are predominant around khao san road.

But tourists are advised not to take the taxis around Khao San road, rather to use those along surrounding streets. Does this mean: "if you take the pink, your ride will stink"?

I noticed an all blue taxi with numbers and markings all over, one of which said "intelligent taxi."

Does anyone know if the colors represent different companies

if so which companies are the best to ride?

same same but different.................If they put the meter on when you get in without being asked ...bingo...usually you have a winner.... only other problen is bad english = :o tour da bangkok

different colours are to show different companies running them.

mushroom is right in saying the green and yellow are private (or they were meant to be). not strictly so anymore as some business minded people have gotten licence and rented out.

but on the whole - no difference to any of them really. in each cab you should be able to see details of the drivers, in case something goes wrong and you need to make a report.

with the company owned ones, they will also have the company phone number on the cabs, so you can contact the company for complaints, or enquiries

In my own experience the blue ones (Taxi Radio) seem the most willing to take you where you want to go when grabbing one from the street. I have the green one (Howa) booked for my morning and evening commute. Mornings are fine but evenings are hit and miss. About 50 per cent of the time I get a phone call saying "Sorry, no taxi". Nakorn Chai (various colours) I'm told has the most cabs of all the companies that operate in Bangkok.