I Have Just Been Offered Job

:o Hi there, i am a 30 year old British national holding a 10 year British passport.

I arrived in Thailand on Saturday for an interview with a Multinational company and have just been told today that i have managed to land the job.

They have informed me that i must now go to get my Non imm B visa and then they will get me a work permit.

I am going to the office this afternoon to collect a letter from the company to say that they are to employ me on condition of being granted correct visa and subsequently the work permit.

I arrived on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival at Don Muang airport. I would just like to know where would be the best place for me to go for the 'B' visa and how long will it take.

I do not want to fly back to the UK as i will start work soon and would like a couple of weeks here in Thailand to settle in a little.

oh and i am in Bangkok.

Many thanks, Sally :D

Hello & congratulations on your new job.

You'll have to leave Thailand and apply for your Non Imm 'B' visa at a Thai embassy or consulate. Once granted you return to Thailand and your company / lawyer then starts the WP application progress.

I got my 'B' visa at the consulate in Melbourne, Australia. It took about 24 or maybe 48 hours as I recall (few years back now). No particular reason to go down there except I was going there for business anyway. However, they seemed efficient enough and it's a nice city to visit, if a little far away.

I'm sure others can advise you on more local options such Singapore, HKG, KL etc

Good luck :o

I would use Penang in Malaysia as it is just a short flight away and a decent place to spend a couple of days. Submit passport in morning and collect at 2 pm the next business day is the normal procedure there (and at most Consulates). Not all Consulates are equal in requirements so call ahead if you plan to visit another to make sure just a letter will be enough.

Sally.......lop may be right. One of my friends just got hers done in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and they needed a whole load more documents besides the letter in order to process it. Documents such as the company's P & L, business registration details (paid up capital and etc), company organization chart and etc.

It may vary depending on where you go. Lop is right, you better check it out first unless the company which is employing you is very familiar with Penang's Non-Immigrant B Visa procedures.

Here is the Penang Thai Consulate's details

PENANG

Royal Thai Consulate-General

No. 1, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman

10350 Penang

Tel. (60-4) 2268029, 2269484

Fax:(60-4) 2263121

E-mail : [email protected]

It would be better to call as they do not respond very well to emails..........

Good Luck

Well i must say thank you to all the people that have responded to my post, i have found your advice very helpfull indeed.

I just have one further question as to the documentation required.

I have tried calling the number in Penang but have thus far failed to speak to a member of staff.

Looking through other threads on the board there is a lot of talk about taking company registration etc to some places and not to others. It seems a bit much for me to go to the company and ask for these documents at this stage of our relationship.

I now have the letter of employment that is asked for and i am ready to fly to Penang next week (avoiding hols), does any one think that this will not be enough for my application? or does someone have experience to say it is a good bet it will be ok?

I will however endevour to contact Penang via phone though some of your views would be nice right now.

Thanks again, Sally

:o Hi there, i am a 30 year old British national holding a 10 year British passport.

I arrived in Thailand on Saturday for an interview with a Multinational company and have just been told today that i have managed to land the job.

They have informed me that i must now go to get my Non imm B visa and then they will get me a work permit.

I am going to the office this afternoon to collect a letter from the company to say that they are to employ me on condition of being granted correct visa and subsequently the work permit.

I arrived on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival at Don Muang airport. I would just like to know where would be the best place for me to go for the 'B' visa and how long will it take.

I do not want to fly back to the UK as i will start work soon and would like a couple of weeks here in Thailand to settle in a little.

oh and i am in Bangkok.

Sally

The advice you have received here seems good.But one aspect puzzles me.A multinational company will have employed expats many times before.The normal drill would be for the HR Dept to take this matter in hand and essentially give full support in obtaining visa/work permit.All costs involved in securing these including any legal support, travel etc would of course be for corporate account not yours.Maybe I'm wrong but I don't sense this kind of support from your employer.

oh and i am in Bangkok.

Sally

The advice you have received here seems good.But one aspect puzzles me.A multinational company will have employed expats many times before.The normal drill would be for the HR Dept to take this matter in hand and essentially give full support in obtaining visa/work permit.All costs involved in securing these including any legal support, travel etc would of course be for corporate account not yours.Maybe I'm wrong but I don't sense this kind of support from your employer.

Hi there, the company is a Japanese company and the office in Thailand as i understand has been open only for 14 months and there is only one foreigne person (Japanese) working there at the moment, they also have office in Switzerland and Dubai, when asking the HR department at the Bangkok office about my Visa they told me to apply for it from the UK when i return there before i comence work, as i stated in my original post, i dont want to go to the UK as i want some time to settle here before i start work.

Also as i understand it is illegal for me to give my passport up to someone for them "to take care of my visa" as it is my obligation to be able to produce my passport at any time that it is requested of me.

Regards, Sally.

Sally

Hi there, the company is a Japanese company and the office in Thailand as i understand has been open only for 14 months and there is only one foreigne person (Japanese) working there at the moment, they also have office in Switzerland and Dubai, when asking the HR department at the Bangkok office about my Visa they told me to apply for it from the UK when i return there before i comence work, as i stated in my original post, i dont want to go to the UK as i want some time to settle here before i start work.

Also as i understand it is illegal for me to give my passport up to someone for them "to take care of my visa" as it is my obligation to be able to produce my passport at any time that it is requested of me.

Regards, Sally.

Doesn't seem quite right to me I'm afraid and I am not surprised to hear your employer is a Japanese company(many of these sail close to the wind on expat immigration matters) rather than normal MNC.I suggest you find out who exactly will be responsible for obtaining your wp/visa and what if any external legal office will be involved.If company is inexperienced in these matters you should press for the matter to be handled externally with internal support from the HR department.I think it is important in addition you understand exactly what steps are needed to ensure you obtain legal visa and working status.There is plenty of good info on this forum but in your position I would supplement it by discussion with company or preferably reputable external lawyer.Incidentally why not return to the UK for week or so, at company's expense of course not yours, to obtain appropriate visa if that is required.

You are right it is illegal to procure visa through use of agent.But there is a world of difference between this and using a reputable legal firm where there is no question of the passport crossing borders.In any event as I recall in my own case I always held my passport for all but very short periods of time.I understand your concern on this passport issue.There are some old timers on this forum who have never grasped this distinction, possibly because they have never worked for an international company.

I personally never carry my passport with me nor do any of my friends, but that is another story......You can make up your own mind once you are regularised

Good luck

Sally

Sorry if this comes too late.

In my experience, the best place to get the visa is the Thai embassy in Tokyo.

Not many people go there on visa-runs, so it's not busy & they issue 1-year multiple-entry non-b visas.

If this is a Japanese company - is there any reason for you to go to Japan anyway ?

Cheers

Pete

In my experience, the best place to get the visa is the Thai embassy in Tokyo.

Not many people go there on visa-runs, so it's not busy & they issue 1-year multiple-entry non-b visas.

Are u sure this is correct? Can anyone verify the Thai embassy in Tokyo issues Multi NON IMM B Visas?

As you are dealing with a Multinational Company I assume they are playing by the rules and offereing you a decent salary?

If that is the case you do not need a multi-entry visa.

A single entry will be sufficient and allow you to enter for 3 months.

During that time your work permit will be issued and the visa can then be extended

for a whole year, and so on each year.

If you need to travel be sure to get a re-entry permit from Immigration in Thailand

so that you visa does not lapse as you leave the country.