Taking Refuge

DeDanan

Taking Refuge

Is it possible to just turn up a temple (farang friendly) and ask a monk to help you take refuge?

Is there a procedure to go through first, like an exam or formal interview or something?

Not sure how to take the next step, at the moment I can not take the time to do a 10 day+ meditation course inclusive of “take refuge”. But I want to make some statement / ceremony that I am now a Buddhist ( ala baptism)

Any suggestions . advice welcome.

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

The 'induction' depends alot on you and your particular flavour in buddhism. By the sounds of it you want to make a symbolic entry into the fold.

Have you settled on any particular school? (Theraveda[thai]/Shin/Zen/etc)

Knowing that would help guide you a bit better.

If you have a friend (Thai) who is willing to introduce you I'm certain that would help you alot. My experience is that every temple has its own personality, so some info on where you are will also be helpful.

welcome

cv

Taking Refuge

Is it possible to just turn up a temple (farang friendly) and ask a monk to help you take refuge?

Is there a procedure to go through first, like an exam or formal interview or something?

Not sure how to take the next step, at the moment I can not take the time to do a 10 day+ meditation course inclusive of “take refuge”. But I want to make some statement / ceremony that I am now a Buddhist ( ala baptism)

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

In Bangkok I'd recommend Wat Mahathat, in Chiang Mai either Wat U Mong or Wat Phra That Doi Suthep.

It would be a fairly straightforward ceremony where a monk would recite a few lines in Pali and you'd repeat them, verbally taking refuge in the Triple Gems - Buddha, dhamma, sangha.

It's easy to pooh-pooh the symbolic, seemingly empty nature of such an act. But like the Chinese proverb says, the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Or as the Buddha reportedly said:

"Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation: 'This is stress...This is the origination of stress...This is the cessation of stress...This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"

-- SN LVI.48

Taking Refuge

Have a Happy…

DeDanan

Edited by sabaijai

You can take precepts and/or refuge at pretty much any temple. Have a Thai take you and help arrange.

The nicest way is to invite 9 monks (at the temple, or invite to your home) and make some offerings - again a Thai can help arrange this. The monks will then invite the Devas to be a witness to your dedication and recite some suttas together. By making a firm effort, and putting yourself to some trouble it becomes a powerful way of making a statement to yourself, and the involvement of other people cements the dedication.

Unless you are associated with a particular temple there is little use in recommending certain monasteries. Use whichever temple your Thai friends or family use - this will make them feel good too, and be an uplift for them.

You can take precepts and/or refuge at pretty much any temple. Have a Thai take you and help arrange.

The nicest way is to invite 9 monks (at the temple, or invite to your home) and make some offerings - again a Thai can help arrange this. The monks will then invite the Devas to be a witness to your dedication and recite some suttas together. By making a firm effort, and putting yourself to some trouble  it becomes a powerful way of making a statement to yourself, and the involvement of other people cements the dedication.

Unless you are associated with a particular temple there is little use in recommending certain monasteries. Use whichever temple your Thai friends or family use - this will make them feel good too, and be an uplift for them.

Excellent suggestion, assuming DeDanan has Thai friends. He mentioned he was visiting Thailand next month. If he just wanders into any temple at random, he might encounter language or cultural difficulties. On his own, a temple where English is spoken regularly, such as those I named, seemed like the best approach. But if DeD has Thai friends or family here, then by all means going to a temple they're associated with, or hosting monks at a Thai home, would be a great way to go.

DeDana, if you felt like having more witnesses at hand, you could even announce the event here on the Buddhism branch of thaivisa. Of course you may want to be more private about it.

Hi SabaiJai and Thai visa friends,

I am just back home now (Sunday morning Thai time). On this trip to Asia I only got to spend two nights in BKK, last Sunday and Monday night, on Monday morning I went with my TG to Wat Mahathat, the main gate was closed so we went around back. My Tg said it is a funeral because of the black and white fabric draped about the Wat . There also was a lot of construction work underway. I think it must have been someone high profile judging by the number of Mercedes etc in the compound. We could see no monk to ask, so we left about the place so we left.

On my next trip February / March 2005 I will discuss with the Wat in advance, and make the necessary arrangements.

Thanking You again,

Have a Happy…

DeDanan.