Sponsor: Nana Pasta Sauce

NanaFoods

I'd like to open up a discussion and feedback forum for our products with the brand name Nana Pasta Sauce.

We've been on the supermarket shelves for about 1 year now, with some encouraging feedback recently. At first, admittedly we didn't quite hit the bull's eye so to speak, but after some early market feedback, and subsequent improvements, I believe we have the right formulas now to please the Western palate, and perhaps even some of the more experienced Thai palates who are acquainted with Italian/Mediterranean cuisine.

At first we had released just two flavors to test the market: Traditional and Amatriciana

Reasons for Traditional is that everyone is familiar with this; it is adaptable to many recipes; and one can add meat or vegetables as they please. I figured this would appeal to Westerners given a price advantage of being made in Thailand, while still using quality ingredients, including imported olive oil and fresh Italian herbs grown at the royal project.

Amatriciana was initially chosen as it is not only an authentic Italian recipe, but it has a robustness in flavor provided by bacon, Parmesan cheese, and a bit of chili. This seemed perfect to attract a Thai customer base while remaining true to tradition, and enjoyed by Westerners alike.

We obtained feedback and made some minor recipe tweaks according to majority customer comments. So we eventually felt good about releasing 3 new flavors, which we did recently - Champignon Mushroom, Olive, and Artichoke.

So now we currently we have 5 flavors on the market.

Traditional and Amatriciana sales are pretty good, and the Mushroom flavor appears to be emerging as a star amongst the 3 new flavors.

I think Artichoke will do much better after we have made a small adjustment in the salt content, as some initial feedback indicates it might be a bit shy on salt. We have a new/improved lot produced already, and focus groups have determined it does indeed have more "spark" ... it just hasn't hit the shelves yet. However, if you want to try out Artichoke now, just remember to add a pinch of salt to taste. Should be no big deal as that is the only change we made. If you prefer slightly less salt anyway, it should be OK for you as is. Currently on sale 2-for-1 at Villa Market until the end of October, I believe.

OK as for this....

Far be it for me to cast the first brick :D , but in coming up with your Italian Grandma name, you have inadvertently opened yourself up to no doubt thousands of hits on your website www.nanaproducts.com for guys looking for information on Bangkok's entertainment scene. Now this will be great for boosting the number of page visits to your site, but I am not sure if the sauce you are selling has the 'right' make-up to satisfy those looking for some less pure and perhaps something a bit spicier.

Then again, for those people wishing to stroll down memory lapse lane after a few fun nights in Bangers, they can always take a few bottles home with them to enjoy while flipping through their mobile pics of their trip to soi 3/4 while singing 'where or where has my little mut gone, or where or where can she be..."

but good luck mate and as I said, I will give it a go next time I am shopping.

I chose Nana because it has positive multilingual meanings...

"Nana" means in...

Thai -- "Variety"

Italian-American -- "Grandma"

Japanese -- "7" (a lucky number)

French -- "Girl", "chick" (slang)

Pretty good meanings...

unless, apparently, one has ever been to Soi Nana area of Bangkok!! :o:D:D:D

Anyway, please feel free to let me know how we might be able to improve, if you feel it prudent. Or please tell your friends about our sauce and the quality ingredients... at a value price. For more product and company information, please visit our website at www.nanaproducts.com

Thanks.

Cheers.

Edited by ChefHeat

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the detailed background.

"Nana" means in...

Thai -- "Variety"

Italian -- "Grandma"

Interesting, I didn't know this. So the next time I tell my wife I am going to Nana for a little variety, she won't think I am out gambling with an old italian lady with a penchant for the number 7.

"Nana" means in...

Thai -- "Variety"

Italian -- "Grandma"

Interesting, I didn't know this. So the next time I tell my wife I am going to Nana for a little variety, she won't think I am out gambling with an old italian lady with a penchant for the number 7.

... or a French chick with a variety of 7 lovely friends :o

i imagine this product will be quite popular with non Italians

the only way i would ever consider eating sauce from a jar would be in a 28 week later type of situation where there are flesh eating zombies roaming around

I suggest you take a bottle or two with you as you do the rounds at Klong Toey mate.

the only way i would ever consider eating sauce from a jar would be in a 28 week later type of situation where there are flesh eating zombies roaming around

I suggest you take a bottle or two with you as you do the rounds at Klong Toey mate.

:o Coffee just went down the wrong way!!

Good luck

Moss

Some of us don't have the time to go through preparing a sauce. I used to do it and it would take 5-6 hours minimum. This includes slicing and dicing, pressing and a long simmer time of a few hours. I don't have that kind of time anymore and have no problems with pre-made sauces. I usually add a few things such as ground beef, extra garlic and to give it a Thai slant, some red pepper powder.

Currently have been using Prego but do like a change and will be looking Nana up next time shopping. :o

"Nana" means in...

Thai -- "Variety"

Italian -- "Grandma"

:o:D

I'm wondering if you make your own noodles as well? Perhaps that degree in blacksmithing came in handy when you forged your own pots & pans?

I haven't seen the mushroom, olive, or artichoke jars yet but as far as the 'Traditional', I added 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 sausage with fresh mushroom and it was great... I was always a Prego user until now as long as I can easily find the Nana.....

:o

But, this is seriously the best pasta sauce I have ever encountered in a supermarket, and not only in Thailand. It's good stuff, the only time I don't buy from them is when I want a cream or a pesto sauce, only because they don't make it yet.

But, this is seriously the best pasta sauce I have ever encountered in a supermarket, and not only in Thailand. It's good stuff, the only time I don't buy from them is when I want a cream or a pesto sauce, only because they don't make it yet.

I agree, I would love to find some good Alfredo sauce on the supermarket shelves... Your next project Chefheat.....

I agree, I would love to find some good Alfredo sauce on the supermarket shelves... Your next project Chefheat.....

Thanks to all for the suggestions and wonderful comments.

In defense of the above poster, I understand where he is coming from... it is kind of an Italian cultural tradition to sort of scoff at bottled pasta sauce. Each region in Italy has their own take on sauce formulation, and naturally nothing can compete with their own family recipe, handed down through generations, which they have developed an affinity for. It's a deep cultural thing. No biggy. What we can offer people like him is convenience (less shopping/searching for fresh ingredients, less cooking, less clean-up) and seasonal advange regarding some ingredients... like fresh artichokes, which are only available a few months out of the year. Pickled artichokes from a can will embue a sourness to the sauce.

BTW, Tywais, adding a bit of chili is a very Italian thing to do as well, not just Thai :D

In fact, my Nana always served lasagna, other pasta, chicken parmigiana... well, just about any dish employing red sauce... with either a small tin of cayenne powder, or a shaker jar of chili flakes.

And yes...actually I do have cream sauces in the business plan, but down the road a bit. Cream sauces would have a higher pH than a tomato sauce, and so is in another category regarding the FDA, which we would have to submit a lot of paperwork, proof of process, etc... to qualify for. But I have already done some R&D into developing a cream sauce base from which to expand into a few flavors.

Sooner on the horizon will be 4 new tomato-based flavors. In fact, we have already completed FDA lab analysis (and passed), and will be submitting for label approval this Friday.

The new flavors are:

Arrabbiata - It means "angry" in Italian. a spicy sauce commonly served on the streets of Rome - traditionally made with plenty of olive oil, garlic, Italian parsley and of course, chilies.

all'Ortolano - "The green grocer's" pasta sauce. It has lots of Italian mixed vegetables including zucchini, leek, carrot, bell pepper, etc. This can also make a great vegetable soup by adding some broth.

Ricotta & Parmesan - Self descriptive. Great for regular and baked pasta, or as a starter-base for lasagna.

Sugo Rosa - "Pink sauce". This is the first of a sort of transition to cream sauces. It has 20% cream, but being tomato-based, we can still qualify as a low pH product. This sauce is made with oven-roasted garlic which compliments the tomato-creaminess of the sauce. Wonderful over linguini; excellent over stuffed pastas like ravioli, tortolini and canneloni, etc.

Oh, and please check out the recipe page on our website for many recipes using our sauces besides with pasta.

Edited by ChefHeat

I pretty much exclusively make Putenesca at home and get other types while dining out. Putenesca is delicious, takes about 10 minutes to prepare, and can be made from ingredients entirely in your pantry. . But I tried your Amatriciana. Not bad. Personally, I would do without the Parmesan in it, though. THe second time, I added artichoke hearts, a personal favorite of mine, and kalmata olives, and it actually went down quite well.

As I said, I usually make Putenesca myself, but I have some of yours on the shelf in case I absolutely don't feel like cooking anything, or when I get a hankering for Amatriciana. I will probably get your artichoke to try as well, but I probably won't like that as much as your Amatriciana with me adding the artichoke hearts myself.

(By-the-way, I actually prefer using the jarred marinated artichoke hearts rather than fresh, and I don't think they sour the taste at all. Or if they do, it is a taste I certainly like.)

Edited by bonobo

Hey CHEFHEAT.......your passion for seeking customer feedback, and then using that feedback as the basis for product improvements is inspiring!!

What is the total sugar (or other added sweeteners) content in each of your current products.....i.e....what % by weight in the bottle?

Any plans (fingers crossed) to offer a sugar free version?

CHEERS!

D

Hey CHEFHEAT.......your passion for seeking customer feedback, and then using that feedback as the basis for product improvements is inspiring!!

What is the total sugar (or other added sweeteners) content in each of your current products.....i.e....what % by weight in the bottle?

Any plans (fingers crossed) to offer a sugar free version?

CHEERS!

D

Thanks for your comments. I spent ten years in the semiconductor industry, and constant improvement is the motto there. I've taken that concept and am trying to employ it in my own business... of course, a slight difference is I want to reach a point where we are satisfying our customers as best as possible, and eventually settle on stable and consistent formulations.

Sugar content is roughly around 1/2%, and this is true for all products at the moment.

The Sugo Rosa will have the least amount of sugar when it launches, as the cream helps in that area, but the difference will be quite minor and still hovering around 0.5%.

I have had other inquiries, particularly from diabetics, about a sugar-free version as well...

It may be something to seriously consider in the future, but at the moment I don't have one in the works.

But by all means, these are the type of suggestions I am looking for, and your request is highly valued. Thanks much.

I pretty much exclusively make Putenesca at home and get other types while dining out. Putenesca is delicious, takes about 10 minutes to prepare, and can be made from ingredients entirely in your pantry. . But I tried your Amatriciana. Not bad. Personally, I would do without the Parmesan in it, though. THe second time, I added artichoke hearts, a personal favorite of mine, and kalmata olives, and it actually went down quite well.

As I said, I usually make Putenesca myself, but I have some of yours on the shelf in case I absolutely don't feel like cooking anything, or when I get a hankering for Amatriciana. I will probably get your artichoke to try as well, but I probably won't like that as much as your Amatriciana with me adding the artichoke hearts myself.

(By-the-way, I actually prefer using the jarred marinated artichoke hearts rather than fresh, and I don't think they sour the taste at all. Or if they do, it is a taste I certainly like.)

You could possibly make a quick Putanesca sauce from our olive flavor... just add some anchovies and some chili if you like it spicy. We do have capers in the sauce, but if you like a lot, you might want to add more as well. Our olive flavor is available at Food Hall and Villa Market (Rimping if you're in CM).

You could possibly make a quick Putanesca sauce from our olive flavor... just add some anchovies and some chili if you like it spicy. We do have capers in the sauce, but if you like a lot, you might want to add more as well. Our olive flavor is available at Food Hall and Villa Market (Rimping if you're in CM).

Putnesca is quick by its nature. I melt the anchovies in olive oil, then add fresh tomatoes, canned romas from Italy, olives (I use Kalmatas), capers (lots of them), salt, and pepper. The only things I add any different are one dried red chile, marinated artichoke hearts, a splash of wine, and a spoon of condensed demi glace. I bring all the ingredients with me from the US, and the sauce is done far sooner than the pasta (I like penne) and costs about $2 for the meal with enough left over to freeze for another meal.

WIth your sauce, I like the ability to have a different flavor without going through all the work. I love Amatriciana, but that sauce takes more time, and yours is certainly as good as I have had at some BKK restaurants. So if I want pasta but don't feel like Putenesca, yours is certainly a good option.

Since your Amatriciana is good, I guess I should try the others. As you write here, it is easy to keep on the shelf until the time when you want a quick meal.

I actually went to Villa for the first time today (to pick up Tater Tots, where a poster on another thread told me I could find them.) But normally, due to location, I go to Tops, where I think I picked up your Amatriciana. Which other types do you have there?

I picked up your Amatriciana, by-the-way, before I ever read anything here. I just love Amatriciana, and I can't say I have ever seen that sauce available like this, even in Italy. So I grabbed it.

Edited by bonobo

I bring all the ingredients with me from the US, and the sauce is done far sooner than the pasta (I like penne) and costs about $2 for the meal with enough left over to freeze for another meal.

Ah, now I see.

Some of those ingredients might cost quite a bit more if you bought them here as imports.

I actually went to Villa for the first time today (to pick up Tater Tots, where a poster on another thread told me I could find them.) But normally, due to location, I go to Tops, where I think I picked up your Amatriciana. Which other types do you have there?

Due to Tops' over-stretched shelf space, they only carry our Traditional and Amatriciana.

However, Food Hall and Villa Market carry all 5 flavors.

May I ask how much the sauce sells for? And is it available in the Villa in Pattaya (or anywhere else in Pattaya, for that matter)?

It depends on which store... but roughly around 79-85 baht.... Artichoke about 105 baht or slightly more. Jars are 360ml. It's quite inexpensive, comparably, when some imports are 125 to 199 baht (some even more).

Yes, it is available in Pattaya -- at Villa Market and Best Supermarket (which is near the roundabout with a dolphin statue, North Pattaya).

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

here is a recommended recipe to try...

It's really quite easy, and can be prepared in in about 20-minutes or less (if using pre-cooked beans).

Pasta e Fagioli

Ingredients:

1½ c Cannellini beans, fully cooked (or just use canned kidney beans)

2 T Olive Oil

360 ml Nana Pasta Sauce (Amatriciana)

1½ c Chicken stock

½ c Carrot, diced

¾ c Ground Pork, fully cooked (measure after cooking)

Salt to taste

Black Pepper to taste

Chili Flakes to taste

⅔ c Pasta, short (Caporelli, Shells, Macaroni, Rotelle, etc.), dried measurement

Preparation:

Bring 2-liters of water to a boil and add salt.

In a separate soup pot, add the olive oil, beans, Nana Pasta Sauce (Amatriciana), chicken stock, cooked ground pork, and diced carrot. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for 10-minutes.

Meanwhile, drop ⅔-cup of dried pasta into the boiling salted water and cook until "al dente", according to package directions. Drain the pasta in a colander.

Back to the soup: When the 10-minutes are up, remove the soup from heat. Taste, and then season with salt and pepper, if necessary. If desired, add chili flakes to taste as well. Add the drained pasta to the soup. Stir to mix well.

Serve hot or cold, as an appetizer, or as a hearty lunch. Garlic bread makes a great accompaniment.

Yield: about 4 - 6 servings.

Enjoy.

post-62785-1225090396_thumb.jpg

Hey, hey, hey.......buy one get one free on the Nana Pasta Sauces at the Villa Market on Sukhumvit Soi 7. I haven't tried 'em yet, but they look very thick and hearty.

CHEERS!

D

Think you meant soi 11?

All select Villa Markets.... which consists of all Sukhumvit locations, Chaeng Wattana, and Pattaya.

I'd like to open up a discussion and feedback forum for our products with the brand name Nana Pasta Sauce.

We've been on the supermarket shelves for about 1 year now, with some encouraging feedback recently. At first, admittedly we didn't quite hit the bull's eye so to speak, but after some early market feedback, and subsequent improvements, I believe we have the right formulas now to please the Western palate, and perhaps even some of the more experienced Thai palates who are acquainted with Italian/Mediterranean cuisine.

At first we had released just two flavors to test the market: Traditional and Amatriciana

Reasons for Traditional is that everyone is familiar with this; it is adaptable to many recipes; and one can add meat or vegetables as they please. I figured this would appeal to Westerners given a price advantage of being made in Thailand, while still using quality ingredients, including imported olive oil and fresh Italian herbs grown at the royal project.

Amatriciana was initially chosen as it is not only an authentic Italian recipe, but it has a robustness in flavor provided by bacon, Parmesan cheese, and a bit of chili. This seemed perfect to attract a Thai customer base while remaining true to tradition, and enjoyed by Westerners alike.

We obtained feedback and made some minor recipe tweaks according to majority customer comments. So we eventually felt good about releasing 3 new flavors, which we did recently - Champignon Mushroom, Olive, and Artichoke.

So now we currently we have 5 flavors on the market.

Traditional and Amatriciana sales are pretty good, and the Mushroom flavor appears to be emerging as a star amongst the 3 new flavors.

I think Artichoke will do much better after we have made a small adjustment in the salt content, as some initial feedback indicates it might be a bit shy on salt. We have a new/improved lot produced already, and focus groups have determined it does indeed have more "spark" ... it just hasn't hit the shelves yet. However, if you want to try out Artichoke now, just remember to add a pinch of salt to taste. Should be no big deal as that is the only change we made. If you prefer slightly less salt anyway, it should be OK for you as is. Currently on sale 2-for-1 at Villa Market until the end of October, I believe.

OK as for this....

Far be it for me to cast the first brick :D , but in coming up with your Italian Grandma name, you have inadvertently opened yourself up to no doubt thousands of hits on your website www.nanaproducts.com for guys looking for information on Bangkok's entertainment scene. Now this will be great for boosting the number of page visits to your site, but I am not sure if the sauce you are selling has the 'right' make-up to satisfy those looking for some less pure and perhaps something a bit spicier.

Then again, for those people wishing to stroll down memory lapse lane after a few fun nights in Bangers, they can always take a few bottles home with them to enjoy while flipping through their mobile pics of their trip to soi 3/4 while singing 'where or where has my little mut gone, or where or where can she be..."

but good luck mate and as I said, I will give it a go next time I am shopping.

I chose Nana because it has positive multilingual meanings...

"Nana" means in...

Thai -- "Variety"

Italian -- "Grandma"

Pretty good meanings...

unless, apparently, one has ever been to Soi Nana area of Bangkok!! :o:D:D:D

Anyway, please feel free to let me know how we might be able to improve, if you feel it prudent. Or please tell your friends about our sauce and the quality ingredients... at a value price. For more product and company information, please visit our website at www.nanaproducts.com

Thanks.

Cheers.

:( lol did you make this one up or you're just having a laff? priceless!

:o lol did you make this one up or you're just having a laff? priceless!

Not quite sure what how to respond to that... but I guess the part about Soi Nana was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

just the whole idea, shelf stable, pasteurized tomato based pasta sauces conceptualized by a farang (presumably American), produced in Thailand, by Thais using local produce and imports from various countries. Named after a BKK tourist area. I thought it quite funny, especially as you pass them off as typical Italian. Out of curiosity, what is "Traditional" sauce?

What percentage of Italian home cooks in Italy do you reckon spend hours simmering their own from scratch pasta sauces?

I have been buying made in Italy bottled sauces in Thailand but I will be happy to try out this locally made product.

For that matter, what percentage of Thai home cooks in Thailand do you figure make their own curry pastes from scratch?

Edited by Jingthing