Maesai Forum

ChiefMonkey

Sawadee Crap Ladies and Gentlemen.

Being a resident (on and off) in Mae Sai, business owner et al.

I would like to pass around the idea of having a "sub section" of the Chiang Rai forum

Mae Sai, I know, is not the jewel in everyone's crown.

However, the place is a significant "waymark" on many people's posts.

Not only is Mae Sai the most northern point in Thailand but,

many expats go there for their visa re-newals.

There is also:

the Burmese connection;

the Shan connection;

the Wah connection.

So, how about it Ladies and Gentlemen?

Your votes please.

Numbers in a hat..........

Kapi, crapi, ti-ti tequila.

I THANK YOU.

Ces moments sont difficiles à traverser et les signes

d’amitié sont toujours les bienvenus. Aussi nous vous prions

de croire, Madame, en nos sentiments reconnaissants.

Chief Monkey

Mae Sai is in CR i dont really see it should be a sub forum, if each district have its own sub forum it will be too many.

By the way the pinned section i hardly looking at it unless i pay attention. I rather like the plain topic section.

What i would like though if we can somehow add Phayao with CR will be nice, its close to CR, quite decent numbers of expats lives there too.

Also Phayao was part of CR before.

Edited by konjianghai

Actually, there is quite a large section of "Northern Thailand" that is not Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai. I have no idea how many expats or Thais (who might be interested in posting on TV) live in Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Utarradit, P'lok, Petchabun, Lamphun, Lanphang, et.al.

A "Northern Thailand" forum (TV has South, Issan, Central, Eastern .. but no "Northern") would seem to be a good idea.

Edited by klikster

I'd like to see a little more activity in the Mae Sai/Tachilek thread. Many come and ask questions there but few get back with their own experiences.

The immigration department there plays an important role in the lives of many local expats and I'd like to see all our members add, even if it's just a few lines, to the thread after every trip.

I've always thought that the CR forum encompassed everything north of Chiang Mai. Our house is in Phayao and I always read the info on Mai Sai etc.

This forum is small with not much traffic and if you split off even a couple of people it would really be dead and that would be a shame. I like the idea of a general forum for the north but I have a feeling it would become a second Chiang Mai forum and that would mean that Chiang Rai and the surrounding area would lose out in the end.

I've always thought that the CR forum encompassed everything north of Chiang Mai. Our house is in Phayao and I always read the info on Mai Sai etc.

This forum is small with not much traffic and if you split off even a couple of people it would really be dead and that would be a shame. I like the idea of a general forum for the north but I have a feeling it would become a second Chiang Mai forum and that would mean that Chiang Rai and the surrounding area would lose out in the end.

There is a lot of the "North" that's south of Chiang Mai. I just wonder if guys in P'lok, Lamphang, Phrae, KPP, Nan, et all feel that they have anything in common with Chiang Rai. I doubt if I would be posting here if I hadn't previously lived in CR .. and considering it as a future option.

Maybe it will work if the moderators re-section the groups. Like Klikster mentioned we can split up the Northern Thai section into southern and northern groups.

Northern/Southern group started at provinces outside of Lanna 8 provinces. The 8 northern provinces is consider as Lanna territory : Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Phayao, Phrae, Nan, Lampang, Lamphun and Mae Hong Sorn.

But then the majority of expats living in CM. They will beat other provinces anytime. Perhaps we should keep the way things are.

Edited by konjianghai

There could easily be a "Northern" forum without changing existing forums at all. As an example, TV has an Eastern Thailand forum now, even though they have a Pattaya group.

I personally believe that folks will post where they feel most "at home". Does someone in MHS feel at home in a Chiang Rai forum?

Sub forums do tend to a little cliquey. Once someone gets settled into the Chiang Rai forum he may feel ignored if he posts in the Chiang Mai forum, other than if he asks a direct question, unless he contributes regularly.

I really can't see how we can improve on what we have here other than attract more contributors.

We've lost some major talent in the last year or so, Chownah and Tayto have been sent into the void and Joel Barlow and VillageFarang have indicated they have no interest in posting here again. Regardless of how we regarded these members personally the loss of local knowledge has been huge.

Sub forums do tend to a little cliquey. Once someone gets settled into the Chiang Rai forum he may feel ignored if he posts in the Chiang Mai forum, other than if he asks a direct question, unless he contributes regularly.

I really can't see how we can improve on what we have here other than attract more contributors.

We've lost some major talent in the last year or so, Chownah and Tayto have been sent into the void and Joel Barlow and VillageFarang have indicated they have no interest in posting here again. Regardless of how we regarded these members personally the loss of local knowledge has been huge.

Maybe it's not so much about improving what's here (in the CR forum), but about a more diverse forum topic. Did JB and VF indicate why they no longer wanted to post here? Could it be that they are bored with it?

I listened to one farang in Chiang Mai claim that if another farang moved into his village, he moved. It seems that so many expats want "their little private place". And here they are in Thailand.

In that case open up your own website and start posting the truth. The colonial times are over! There are other forums about northern Thailand than just this one.

Very odd post, goski .. was it directed at me? What's with "posting the truth"? And "The colonial times are over!"???

Are you perhaps suggesting that I cease posting on TV?

Not at all directed towards you klikster. It is more or less ironic, the same as all other posts I post. The "every farang wants his spot" thing triggered it. It was well to the spot.

Sorry for my paranoia, goski. Thank you for clearing that up. Now I see what you were shooting at, I agree that you hit the target.

Maybe it's not so much about improving what's here (in the CR forum), but about a more diverse forum topic. Did JB and VF indicate why they no longer wanted to post here? Could it be that they are bored with it?

I listened to one farang in Chiang Mai claim that if another farang moved into his village, he moved. It seems that so many expats want "their little private place". And here they are in Thailand.

Funny you should say that, I've been laid up for a week and a farang, who lives in the village for about six months of the year, who I usually chat with while I'm walking the dog heard I was sick, and came down and knocked on my door today to see if I was OK.

I appreciated his concern and he stopped and talked for a while and when he left I thought... "that's the first uninvited guest who has knocked on my door in over five years".

Maybe we do create our little private places.

Edited by sceadugenga

If I found anything of interest in these pages I might participate more...but then again I find self-sufficiency an admirable trait. Always asking for help before even giving it a try, seems a bit weak and there seems to be far too much pettiness and malevolence.

I'm sure some of you are interesting people but you wouldn't know it from what is written here. Without some shared interest and preferably some proximity, interacting with someone seems so forced and feigned.

I am not against participating in principle, but am left wondering what I might get out of it.

Sceadugenga, hope you feel better soon.

This thread brings to mind a conversation in another forum .. maybe the General forum. One TV member wondered why that, in some forums, there seemed to be much more nastiness than in others. They went on to talk about how bad the Bangkok, Phuket and Pattaya forums were and how much more civil the Central and Issan forums seemed to be.

It's probably a combination of any number of things .. lifestyle pressures .. life in the fast lane .. jealousy .. ego .. ( my condo's better than yours .. I've been here longer than you .. I make/have more $$$ than you). But just maybe, familiarity does indeed breed contempt.

Thanks for your concern VF, I'm feeling better today and have implemented a couple of lifestyle changes which have been long over due.... it's an ill wind...

The Chiang Mai expat community is relatively small, it would be hard to come up with a group that could be described as "representative".

While I don't mind giving advice it seldom appears to be taken, or it's disputed for the sake of argument. I'll agree this can be disheartening.

Thanks for your concern VF, I'm feeling better today and have implemented a couple of lifestyle changes which have been long over due.... it's an ill wind...

Gout gave me fits for years. I can remember one time when I was living in BKK, a gout attack had both my feet so tender I couldn't even stand to have a sheet touching them Then I got a cramp in my calf muscle. I didn't dare put my foot on the floor to stretch it out. Agony upon agony. Then about 7-8 years ago I just quit drinking. Problem 99% solved.

While I don't mind giving advice it seldom appears to be taken, or it's disputed for the sake of argument. I'll agree this can be disheartening.

You might be surprised how may folks lurk .. and that information/advice you give may be much appreciated, although never verbalized.

• 3 months later...

Ladies & gentlemen.

Apologies for the delay in my response but a ruptured appendix and surgical hernia meant I couldn't make it back on time.

The suggestion for a new "Maesai Forum" was to bring in a taste of Burma.

70% of the inhabitants of Maesai are non-thai.

Chinese, Burmes, Ahka....etc.

Why do we need to come under the heading of "Chiangrai"?

You are some 64kms away and hardly in touch with things going on "over the border".

Vive la difference!

Ladies & gentlemen.

Apologies for the delay in my response but a ruptured appendix and surgical hernia meant I couldn't make it back on time.

The suggestion for a new "Maesai Forum" was to bring in a taste of Burma.

70% of the inhabitants of Maesai are non-thai.

Chinese, Burmes, Ahka....etc.

Why do we need to come under the heading of "Chiangrai"?

You are some 64kms away and hardly in touch with things going on "over the border".

Vive la difference!

If Mae Sai was to have it's own forum then you gotta have Lampang, Nong Khai, Pitsanolok, etc., etc.

I think that Mae Sai is a definate "non starter"

Chiang Rai itself barely gets more than three posts a day as it is.

Edited by john b good

I thought there would be people with Shan/Ahka connections wanting to talk about Kengtong, Monglar etc? I have taken my Isuzu up to Monglar 14 times by myself. The paperwork needed in Maesai few foreigners know about. The restrictions on travel in the Eastern Shan State changes frequently. The border at Monglar into China etc. etc.