Four Die As Train Collides With Van

george

Four die as train collides with van

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Four workers for a housing development company were killed last night when their van collided with a diesel train on a level crossing, where police said visibility was obscured by high trees.

The diesel train travelling from Thailand's northeastern province of Si Sa Ket to Bangkok crashed into the van in the centre of Nakhon Ratchasima shortly before midnight last night.

Four people died in the collision, all of them workers for the housing developer--Land and House Co.

Although the engine of the train sustained minor damage, it was able to continue its journey to Bangkok.

Police said that visibility at the level crossing, where there were no barriers, was obscured by tall trees, and that the area was poorly lit.

The train hit the van at full force, dragging it 50 metres along the ground before coming to a halt.

--TNA 2004-12-04

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Four workers for a housing development company were killed last night when their van collided with a diesel train on a level crossing, where police said visibility was obscured by high trees.

The diesel train travelling from Thailand's northeastern province of Si Sa Ket to Bangkok crashed into the van in the centre of Nakhon Ratchasima shortly before midnight last night.

Four people died in the collision, all of them workers for the housing developer--Land and House Co.

Although the engine of the train sustained minor damage, it was able to continue its journey to Bangkok.

Note: The train driver DID NOT run away from the scene.

Police said that visibility at the level crossing, where there were no barriers, was obscured by tall trees, and that the area was poorly lit.

Tall trees? How high was the train coming from?

1. Stop BEFORE the tracks as you would normally stop before every intersection

2. Look both ways

3. Do not proceed in case of one of the follwoing:

a. you see a big light heading your way

b. you hear a train -they are very noisy

c. you see a train

I do not mean to speak ill of the dead, and my heart goes out to the families

of these people. I am curious if autopsies will be performed on the driver just to

determuine if he was drunk.

The public hospitals in this country would loose 1/2 of their inpatients

if the driving problems were corrected. Driving at midnighton Friday night.

The train hit the van at full force, dragging it 50 metres along the ground before coming to a halt.

Note:  The train driver DID NOT  run away from the scene.

Tall trees?  How high was the train coming from?

1.  Stop BEFORE the tracks as you would normally stop before every intersection

2.  Look both ways

3.  Do not proceed in case of one of the follwoing:

a. you see a big light heading your way

b. you hear a train -they are very noisy

c. you see a train

I do not mean to speak ill of the dead, and my heart goes out to the families

of these people.  I am curious if autopsies will be performed on the driver just to

determuine if he was drunk.

The public hospitals in this country would loose 1/2 of their inpatients

if the driving problems were corrected.  Driving at midnighton Friday night.

This another example of Darwin's theory. The stupid and foolish will take themselves out of the gene pool. I am afraid alcohol was probably involved, but lack of driving skills will also be a factor. Way too many Thais are driving w/o proper licenses or knowledge of the rules of the road. Everybody on the roads pay a price for the plethora of horrible drivers in the LOS. :o

...Police said that visibility at the level crossing, where there were no barriers, was obscured by tall trees, and that the area was poorly lit.

Tall trees?  How high was the train coming from?....

Maybe the trees were obstructing the signs that warn of the unmanned train crossing.

Maybe the driver did not know the road and had no reason to think that a train would come at him from the side.

Maybe the trees were obstructing the signs that warn of the unmanned train crossing.

"High trees?"

I wonder how high the trees were or how high the sign must have been.

""""Maybe the driver did not know the road and had no reason to think that a train would come at him from the side. """""

Where would it come from? The back or the front? Just kidding.

When you drive at night, in an area without good light, you drive slowly

and stop at intersections. Although I believe that Thai roads are far from being

the safest and most informative when it comes to signage, I am going to

give the benefit of doubt to the Thai government's sign workers over the

midnight driver. Generally, the person who is out late at night is in the wrong.

I know, all of you partiers are going to be angry about that, but try to think

about the biggest mistakes that you have ever made, and tell me if they did

not happen late at night when you were drunk.

Trees blocked the view.........

Road signs often block the view at junctions...........

Advertising signs block the view...............

Pedestrian bridges block the view of the traffic lights as you approach.

Is there a theme here??

Trees blocked the view.........

Road signs often block the view at junctions...........

Advertising signs block the view...............

Pedestrian bridges block the view of the traffic lights as you approach.

Is there a theme here??

There is and most of us realize it, but do not look for the people in charge of road safety to do anything about in our lifetime. :o