Warning Udon Area

ray23

At this time there is complex called Kurchi Villas, actually two one in the Nong Kia area and one on the Sakunakorn Highway.

The builder will tell you anything to get you to sign a contract, then he will build whatever house he wants to build, no matter what you want. Then try to force you to buy it.

There currently is an American who lives in the development, that appears to be trying to sell the units for the builder. Be very cautious of both these men they do not have a fair business agreement in mind at all.

There are lots of promises with no delivery. If you choose to deal with either one of these men, make sure you have a lawyer with you, you will need it.

Sounds like my wife's fat and lazy uncle. Makes all kinds of promises, no problem no problem I take care of it's, and you get the exact opposite. Luckily the rest of the family are straight shooters. I am amazed at how Thai families will ignor these troublesome types and continue to rely on them.

We'll be interested in getting a builder in the Nong Khai area in the near future so if you could off line me about these negative folks any further info I'd appreciate it.

Eric

Sounds like my wife's  fat and lazy uncle.  Makes all kinds of promises, no problem no problem I take care of it's, and you get the exact opposite.  Luckily the rest of the family are straight shooters.  I am amazed at how Thai families will ignor these troublesome types and continue to rely on them. 

We'll be interested in getting a builder in the Nong Khai area in the near future so if you could off line me about these negative folks any further info I'd appreciate it.

Eric

Sorry I really don't have any other information about this subject, some of the guys I know have had reasonable success.

As a norm I would not have posted something like this I just would hate to see anyone else sucked in by these two like I was.

I did learn this much:

1. buy your own land first

2. Have detailed plans done with demensions included

3. Specify what materials that are to be used

4. contact a lawyer to draw up the agreement between the builder and you.

I know must of this seems like a pain, but it nothing compared to the nightmare you can be in without it.

As a norm I have not had any problem other then a bit odf over charging on other things I have had done. But I have always been happy with the end product, not this time.

The truth the builder never had in intention of being the house that I wanted, led to him by the American, whom I thought was a friend. Every indication is now that he works for the builder and didn't reveal it. I guess I just expected more from a fellow countryman, who held a very reputable position in the states before he came here. Just my next semester in Water Buffalo University.

Ray,

Nay worries. The only base that we don't have covered is the lawyer part. Didn't even think about that idea. We going to find an architect to translate our home drawings that we have done to a more usable Thai format. We'll even probably do some of the work ourselves. Tiling, electrical and plumbing we have done that before and are fairly easy.

Have agood one!

Eric

Ray,

Nay worries.  The only base that we don't have covered is the lawyer part.  Didn't even think about that idea.  We going to find an architect to translate our home drawings that we have done to a more usable Thai format.  We'll even probably do some of the work ourselves.  Tiling, electrical and plumbing we have done that before and are fairly easy. 

Have agood one!

Eric

Outstanding!

There isa lawyer in Nong Kia I met through referals, that seems to be famalir with this. I'm now using one in Udon whose specilaty is construction. It really won't be that expensive and worth it.

Ray,

Nay worries.  The only base that we don't have covered is the lawyer part.  Didn't even think about that idea.  We going to find an architect to translate our home drawings that we have done to a more usable Thai format.  We'll even probably do some of the work ourselves.  Tiling, electrical and plumbing we have done that before and are fairly easy. 

Have agood one!

Eric

Outstanding!

There isa lawyer in Nong Kia I met through referals, that seems to be famalir with this. I'm now using one in Udon whose specilaty is construction. It really won't be that expensive and worth it.

Nong Kia is a she Rayria Pokapon, 01-260-4338

Don't have the Udon one handy

I had reasonable success building in Udon.

But, we had a long contract written by us. Specified brands of cement, steel, etc. The builder was willing to start without any contract at all. LOL

We paid in stages 15% to start, then 10% each additional plus last payment.

Fined builder for running over on project completion date. VERY IMPORTANT. They will never finish otherwise.

We had a design up front and shopped around for builders. Took a few months.

Got building permit ourselves. I would suggest finding out who controls the issue of building permits in your area. They usually are architects and can complete your plans for you. It also helps when getting the permit. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Know what I mean. This is Thailand.

Owned land already.

Got house number, and city electric/water connection ourselves.

Had an engineer friend of the family checking foundation, proper steel, cement mixing, etc.

Eric, I would suggest handling the hiring of separate contractors for electric, plumbing, tile, windows, etc yourself.

Why? For example, our builder didn't know piss about putting in a water system with adequate pressure. He also would not pay his subcontractors on time. They would quit working and then the builder would come to us asking for more time. "Please no fine." I felt the builder added nothing and in fact was a detriment to completeing the project. And as you mentioned, once the basic cement and brick frame is up finishing out the tile and electric is something you can even do yourself.

Lastly, be friendly to the labor and subcontractors. They will be amazingly honest about where the builder is cutting corners.

Edited by CTM

CTM,

I like your screen name any special meaning? That was my job specialty in the Navy.

Thanks for the pointers. I like the idea of incremental/milestone payments and fines. I will be going the fine route for sure! Money does talk. We hired out some work on my wife's uncles house that we borrowed for a couple of months and easily made some sidebar arrangements with the subcontractors. This method greatly improved the quality of the workmanship and timeliness that we received. Whereas we are still wait to this day over six months for the original contractor to "payup" for his part. We have a better idea on who we can trust or not in our current neighborhood but will be learning even more when we do start on our house several KM's outside the home village.

We are already planning on making all of the material purchases ourselves. Hopefully, it will prove to be lucky for us that the wife's great uncle is the headman of the tiny village near our construction site. He was a huge help when we bought our land. I know dealing within the family can be difficult and have seen this (wife's immediate uncles) but am pleased that most of the dealings with her grandmothers side has been very productive and straight up.

Eric

CTM,

I like your screen name any special meaning?  That was my job specialty in the Navy.

Thanks for the pointers.  I like the idea of incremental/milestone payments and fines.  I will be going the fine route for sure!  Money does talk.  We hired out some work on my wife's uncles house that we borrowed for a couple of months and easily made some sidebar arrangements with the subcontractors.  This method greatly improved the quality of the workmanship and timeliness that we received.  Whereas we are still wait to this day over six months for the original contractor to "payup" for his part.  We have a better idea on who we can trust or not in our current neighborhood but will be learning even more when we do start on our house several KM's outside the home village.

We are already planning on making all of the material purchases ourselves.  Hopefully, it will prove to be lucky for us that the wife's great uncle is the headman of the tiny village near our construction site.  He was a huge help when we bought our land.  I know dealing within the family can be difficult and have seen this (wife's immediate uncles) but am pleased that most of the dealings with her grandmothers side has been very productive and straight up.

Eric

Boy that was the best advice I have seen about building here, wish I would have read it before I got in this mess. But with time I will recover and try again. Thanks for the thoughts I'm sure it will come in handy in the future