Music Production

Riley'sLife

Any Board Members into Music Production? I am exploring the possibility of buying additional sounds to compliment my existing Sequencing software (Ableton, Fruity Loops, and Cubase).

On a recent trip to N America I bought a Line 6 TonePort KB 37, which allows me to record audio (Vocals, Guitar, Base, -with GearBox software an amazing array of guitar and Bass types, Amps and cabinets are selectable) direct onto my laptop HD via Ableton sequencer software, with virtually zero latency, in addition to input of MIDI FM or Sampled virtual instruments, drum kits etc. using the attached piano keyboard.

But, I need to increase the number of VST plug-ins with perhaps a DVD based set of Sound Samples like VI.ONE, and/or add a decent software Synth such as Ableton Operator, Omnisphere (ouch – expensive).

So, if anyone has experience they are willing to share.. this is the thread! I am not a professional, nor am I a Techie but I enjoy making music.- most Genre. I am just starting out with this new interest and so don’t have much experience.

All members’ input appreciated.

Cheers Rick

I spent many a year happily producing break beat in my youth before life and work took over. One bit of advise I have for you is that you don't need a lot of VST plug ins. I ended up with a few hundred and all you ended up doing is playing with them tweaking making strange sounds that you do very little with. I would recommend you get two or three that suit your style of music and get to know them inside out. And having a too big sample library can be dangerous too, (I have over a thousand) and you spend more time clicking through your library, than actually using what you've got.

Any Board Members into Music Production? I am exploring the possibility of buying additional sounds to compliment my existing Sequencing software (Ableton, Fruity Loops, and Cubase).

On a recent trip to N America I bought a Line 6 TonePort KB 37, which allows me to record audio (Vocals, Guitar, Base, -with GearBox software an amazing array of guitar and Bass types, Amps and cabinets are selectable) direct onto my laptop HD via Ableton sequencer software, with virtually zero latency, in addition to input of MIDI FM or Sampled virtual instruments, drum kits etc. using the attached piano keyboard.

But, I need to increase the number of VST plug-ins with perhaps a DVD based set of Sound Samples like VI.ONE, and/or add a decent software Synth such as Ableton Operator, Omnisphere (ouch – expensive).

So, if anyone has experience they are willing to share.. this is the thread! I am not a professional, nor am I a Techie but I enjoy making music.- most Genre. I am just starting out with this new interest and so don't have much experience.

All members' input appreciated.

Cheers Rick

You can buy sound banks at Pantip plaza, they have plenty of MAO softwares...

Rather than developing my own electronic sounding tones I am looking for realistic Preset Tones that emulate "real" musical instruments like Brass, Woodwind, Organ and Piano Variations, Strings, and a good range of drum kits and percussion as well as guitar and Bass. I'm not really into Techno more interested in Rock, Blues, Heavy Metal, Soul, R'nB, etc.

The Tones included with my Sequencing Software are not as realistic as I would like.

What is MAO software Joakb?

I'll give Pantip a look-in when I'm next in Bkk.

What is MAO software Joakb?

I'll give Pantip a look-in when I'm next in Bkk.

Sorry MAO is French acronym :-) I meant you can find at Pantip all the softwares you are using + many more + DVD's full of sound banks, any style. Just ask the seller about Cubase or whatever, he will give you the music software catalogue in which you will find what you are looking for... any DVD should cost around 150-200 bahts (well this is what I paid :-)

What are we talking about .... the tones of Cubase? Cubase doesn't have any 'tones'. The included VSTi's maybe have, but not the sequencing software.

If it wasn't illegal to talk about illegal stuff on TV, I would recommend to look for soundbank DVDs (Hypersonic, Sonar XLetc) or VSTi's on Rapidshare or Bittorent.

Edited by sniffdog

Hey All

I use Propellerhead Reason for the most part, and when ready export tracks or mixes over to Sonar to add the live stuff. If I am feeling industrious I will rex some of my wavs and send them to mix up in Reason. I really want to get into Ableton, but every time I load it up I lose interest for some reason....but so many people like it. I guess my original sequencer was Reason and I love tweaking the synths and all, infinite possibilities! Can't use VSTs or get audio into Reason, but still I love it despite.

At Fashion Island, third floor there is a IT center and one guy there sells loads and loads of samples, programs, etc. I pick some new stuff up once in awhile, but mainly really like my good piano, strings, and drum kit DVDs I got. I got some good weird ambient Reason packs there that are fun to set up when I need some oceanic pad, but really usually keep things rather basic in the end for my little songs.

I love writing and playing music (guitar, piano, sax), and having a studio in my notebook is just the coolest thing imaginable. When the work day is done, there is nothing like getting a little bit oblong and messing with my music.

Edited by tominbkk

If you are interest in more acoustic sounds I would recommend Spectrasonics Trilogy Total Bass Module Software, which is amazing for bass sounds. For string and orchestral sounds I use E-MU Virtouso X in Halion it's not the best string samples in the world but I really like them especially when you layer them up. If I where you I wouldn't bother with drum kits as programming beats will never sound as good as a real drummer. I would recommend getting sample cds with the drumming styles that suit the music you want to make. I used to find a loops a liked, then put in through recycle, and replace or layer with other drum samples to create the break I wanted but still keeping the natural feel.

• 9 months later...

Hi guys,

Havent had time to check this forum until now. I am a muscician and worked professionally with music production when i lived in Norway. I used mainly normal synths, not digital though. I dont have a studio in thailand, and i am not planning on doing anything pro here. But i am still in love with music and music production. looking forward to chatting more about hifi and music now that this subforum is here.

I have access to floor space, and access to folks that can build sound rooms (pro-grade)

But that is all I can offer really, the rest you folks are talking about is all strange to me....

But I am interested. I think there may be a market for this in Thailand... but, it would be based on the "Thai market" so I would not a high ROI.