Foreigners In Mahasarakam

irrigator

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

now with Big C opened a couple days ago, how is the traffic flow near where you live? It has been hectic days with that and Loy Krathong.

The first few days were pretty bad - opening night for Big C was just a nightmare as there were cars parked on both sides of the highway 500 meters in both directions and groups of people running across the street like they tend to do here. The U-turn lane in front of Big C can get quite backed up at times, but there's really no alternative unless you want to drive all the way down to the next U-turn past the bridge, which is another dangerous chokepoint. The road in front of Big C needs to be wider, and I've heard they might just do this. Actually going to Big C at the moment is a huge stressor unless you go in the morning on a weekday. That should get better, though, after everybody within a 20 kilo radius has been there to have a look-see.

As a side note, SermThai department store has pulled out all the stops decorating for the holidays this year but it looked a lot less crowded than usual when I drove by this evening.

I'm located near the new University, b. kham reang and nearby there's a restaurant I patronise regularly, YokoThai. No foreigners there but decent nosh and friendly atmosphere.

We used to live in the Akkrachat housing development all the way down Khamriang past MSU. What's this Yokothai place located near? Is it on the main Khamriang strip?

Regarding Ago, I am trying to work out if I have been there without ever registering what the name was. The place I am thinking of is on the Kamalasai road a few kilometres out of town. You would cross the river bridge, drive through the small entertainment area located near the now-closed Pantip karaoke bar, pass the new country and western-style bar on the left and then take a left turn a little before the turn for the fish sanctuary. This restaurant has a building on top of a slope and then steps down to some pontoons on the river. There is a rope strung across the river via which a raft can be pulled across, and a sand dredger is sometimes moored nearby. Thinking about it, I have been to Medsai and some of the other bars mentioned, but not Brother's or Boston Tea. Several years ago I used to spend a bit of time in the bars near that end of the canal, including the now re-developed Soi 2 (just one or two bars left there now). It used to be very much a student scene in that area and I had many good nights out there. I see there are quite a few bars around the new Centrepoint plaza, near the bowling alley, but have never had a night out there. Other places that used to be okay but I haven't visited for a while are the old and new Ban Plengs near the junction of the Kalasin and Khon Kaen roads. There are certainly more options in Sarakham than outsiders imagine.

Edited by citizen33

Regarding Ago, I am trying to work out if I have been there without ever registering what the name was. The place I am thinking of is on the Kamalasai road a few kilometres out of town. You would cross the river bridge, drive through the small entertainment area located near the now-closed Pantip karaoke bar, pass the new country and western-style bar on the left and then take a left turn a little before the turn for the fish sanctuary. This restaurant has a building on top of a slope and then steps down to some pontoons on the river. There is a rope strung across the river via which a raft can be pulled across, and a sand dredger is sometimes moored nearby.

That sounds like Ago or another restaurant nearby it. The determining factor is whether they had an ostrich corral out front or not. I never even knew the name Ago until this year; I always referred to it as "the ostrich place."

The country and western-style bar you refer to might be Tawan Dang (owned partially by Carabau who play there every once in a while; there's apparently a Tawan Dang in every province in Thailand).

The first few days were pretty bad - opening night for Big C was just a nightmare as there were cars parked on both sides of the highway 500 meters in both directions and groups of people running across the street like they tend to do here. The U-turn lane in front of Big C can get quite backed up at times, but there's really no alternative unless you want to drive all the way down to the next U-turn past the bridge, which is another dangerous chokepoint. The road in front of Big C needs to be wider, and I've heard they might just do this. Actually going to Big C at the moment is a huge stressor unless you go in the morning on a weekday. That should get better, though, after everybody within a 20 kilo radius has been there to have a look-see.

As a side note, SermThai department store has pulled out all the stops decorating for the holidays this year but it looked a lot less crowded than usual when I drove by this evening.

I suppose the first few weeks people will be attracted to that like moths to the light, consider that the whole province hasn't got a superstore. We used to go to Tesco/Lotus Roi Et and occasionally Big C in Khon Kaen. So everybody is pretty excited at the mo, plus it has created new jobs and business opportunities for shops along that strip, as well as property price rise. You have a point about that U-Turn, I thought about it when Big C was being built. Knowing Isaan drivers as well as I do, there'll be a few accidents. There is word on the street that Tesco/Lotus is looking to built a superstore nearby. I guess then we'll say farewell to the small one in SermThai.

We used to live in the Akkrachat housing development all the way down Khamriang past MSU. What's this Yokothai place located near? Is it on the main Khamriang strip?

walking distance to where my family lives.

YokoThai is along the b-road 2202 that links kham reang to the main a-road 213. Starting from Akkrachat, go past the Uni, straight over a roundabout, keep going, and past Boom Steak restaurant, on the same side of the road, prolly 50 yards or so. In front of it, in the other side of the road there is a mini market and a Kasikorn ATM machine. It's country styled place and it's got floating boots in a small canal. Live music every night, patronised by a lot of Uni teachers and admin staff. Family type restaurant, the owner is Thai and very friendly and waitresses are very easy on the eye, which never hurts :o

Edited by Sarge

Hi

I'm pretty new here so if I get things wrong please tell me. I will be offended but I've been married so I can take most things.

I have recently met a woman on the internet and I will be making my first visit to Thailand on 5th February 2009 til 22nd to meet her. She is coming to BKK to meet me so at least that should avoid me making a mess of things with my limited Thai language skills. Although exact dates haven't been decided we will eventually end up in her village 'ban dong noi' about 4.5km southeast of mahasarakham. For part of this time she will be at work so I will be able to find out first hand what it is like to be alone in the village.

Although she speaks reasonably good english I think she may be an exception in her village. She studies at the university and works at a local education centre that seems to focus on vocational skills such as carpentry, electrics and that sort of thing. This may be why she speaks good english although we can still hit a bit of a brick wall sometimes even if I can find the word I'm looking for in my phrase book.

I don't know if anyone knows this village, unfortunately it's just outside of the higher resolution area on Google maps so I can't even see how big it is. It would be good to meet another english speaker but as yet I'm not really sure how I would manage this.

I think this could be something of a culture shock but as they say " what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" so here's to strength or death.

Hi

I'm pretty new here so if I get things wrong please tell me. I will be offended but I've been married so I can take most things.

I have recently met a woman on the internet and I will be making my first visit to Thailand on 5th February 2009 til 22nd to meet her. She is coming to BKK to meet me so at least that should avoid me making a mess of things with my limited Thai language skills. Although exact dates haven't been decided we will eventually end up in her village 'ban dong noi' about 4.5km southeast of mahasarakham. For part of this time she will be at work so I will be able to find out first hand what it is like to be alone in the village.

Although she speaks reasonably good english I think she may be an exception in her village. She studies at the university and works at a local education centre that seems to focus on vocational skills such as carpentry, electrics and that sort of thing. This may be why she speaks good english although we can still hit a bit of a brick wall sometimes even if I can find the word I'm looking for in my phrase book.

I don't know if anyone knows this village, unfortunately it's just outside of the higher resolution area on Google maps so I can't even see how big it is. It would be good to meet another english speaker but as yet I'm not really sure how I would manage this.

I think this could be something of a culture shock but as they say " what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" so here's to strength or death.

Hi there,

could you tell me where in the world you are coming from and have you been to upcountry Thailand before.

It seems to make a difference where you come from as some people do better than others.

Do you know what real Issan food is like? Do you know what you will be sleeping in?

All the best and welcome.

Hi

It is your first visit to Thailand and if you stay alone in the village you will be an easy pry for all those "nice" guys who want free drinking or who want to "borrow" some cash from you. I guess most of us "farang" out here have been fooled one way or another during our first visits to the villages.

In the village you are totally in the hands of the lady and her family whom you don't know at all.

There are many questions. Do they for example have a bed you can sleep on or do they expect you to buy new furnitue ? Better have a look first.

The village is just a short bit away from the town and you better stay in a hotel and go visiting when the lady is home from work.

It is easier to spend time alone in the town than in the village and you can easily invite your gf and her family to eating and sightseeing in town with no other obligation than that you have to pay for them when they come.

If things doesn't work out the way we hope it will it is much easier to get away back to Bangkok from the town than from the village where you must find somebody to help you.

Good luck to you.

A previous poster said. "The village is just a short bit away from the town and you better stay in a hotel and go visiting when the lady is home from work."

This is probably good advice. My first visit to the Maha Sarakham area was in late March and I had to move to a hotel for a couple of days to take advantage of the aircon and recover from the heat. February won't be as hot but, as has been said, there may be other advantages to being in an hotel. The hotel I ended up at was the Vasu, which was a bit run down, but had a very interesting Thai-style cafe with singers in those days. I think the Vasu has been renovated recently (and the cafe closed) but there is general agreement that the Taksila is the best hotel in town now.

http://www.taksilahotel.com/

This hotel is very nice and shouldn't be too much over 1000 baht per night. The nearby New Phattana (same owners) or the Vasu remain alternatives in the mid-price range. All these hotels are close to the bus station and the many tuk tuks gathered there. The Vasu is past the hospital along the canal in the direction the Bangkok buses will have come in. The other two are near the canal in the opposite direction, past the big department store, Serm Thai.

If you want something cheaper, the training hotel at the Rajaphat, Suan Warun, offers very good value. See also:

http://hotel.rmu.ac.th

http://www.tourismthailand.org/accommodati...akham-44-1.html

I think your village will be off route 23, the Borabue Road, and this last hotel is less convenient for that than the others, but it is near many of the better restaurants and bars discussed earlier in the thread. When I last visited a few months ago the new training hotel at MSU was still not open, and this is even more out of the way from your point of view. One advantage of being in town is that vaguely western-style food, internet cafes, the Bangkok Post and the possibility of a few beers will all be at hand.

Edited by citizen33

A previous poster said. "The village is just a short bit away from the town and you better stay in a hotel and go visiting when the lady is home from work."

This is probably good advice. My first visit to the Maha Sarakham area was in late March and I had to move to a hotel for a couple of days to take advantage of the aircon and recover from the heat. February won't be as hot but, as has been said, there may be other advantages to being in an hotel. The hotel I ended up at was the Vasu, which was a bit run down, but had a very interesting Thai-style cafe with singers in those days. I think the Vasu has been renovated recently (and the cafe closed) but there is general agreement that the Taksila is the best hotel in town now.

http://www.taksilahotel.com/

This hotel is very nice and shouldn't be too much over 1000 baht per night. The nearby New Phattana (same owners) or the Vasu remain alternatives in the mid-price range. All these hotels are close to the bus station and the many tuk tuks gathered there. The Vasu is past the hospital along the canal in the direction the Bangkok buses will have come in. The other two are near the canal in the opposite direction, past the big department store, Serm Thai.

If you want something cheaper, the training hotel at the Rajaphat, Suan Warun, offers very good value. See also:

http://hotel.rmu.ac.th

http://www.tourismthailand.org/accommodati...akham-44-1.html

I think your village will be off route 23, the Borabue Road, and this last hotel is less convenient for that than the others, but it is near many of the better restaurants and bars discussed earlier in the thread. When I last visited a few months ago the new training hotel at MSU was still not open, and this is even more out of the way from your point of view. One advantage of being in town is that vaguely western-style food, internet cafes, the Bangkok Post and the possibility of a few beers will all be at hand.

No the village is off road number 2040 to Wapi Pathum but never mind the town is not very big. I guess there are some hotels of different standards because of the town administration and the university. Take advice !

No the village is off road number 2040 to Wapi Pathum but never mind the town is not very big. I guess there are some hotels of different standards because of the town administration and the university. Take advice !

Oh well! He would come in from that village on the Roi Et Road then, need to turn left when he hits the canal and arrive at the Taksila from the other direction. The hotels I mentioned will still be about the nearest in town.

P.S. Edit because I can't tell left from right!

Edited by citizen33

Oh well! He would come in from that village on the Roi Et Road then, need to turn right when he hits the canal and arrive at the Taksila from the other direction. The hotels I mentioned will still be about the nearest in town.

True ! And the ways out are the same. PBAir from Roi Et or Thai Airways from Khon Khen.

Hi

you've got some sound general advice here, I'll instead expand on the practicality of living in a small village in the middle of Isaan province. From a newbie point of view:

1. Sanitary: you unlikely to get western type facility in your friend's house. It'll prolly consist of squat toilet (hole in the ground) and a big tank full of water and a scoop, no running hot water shower.

2. Bedding: you may or not may get a framed bed and mattress, lots of older Isaan folks prefer sleeping over straw mats

3. Insects: a mosquito net is essential if you wanna sleep at night

4. Eating: table and chairs are not that common, so you may have to eat sat down on the floor. If you're not used or of heavy build, it'll quickly pain your legs

5. Mobility: the only public transport you get is baht bus, cheap but if you don't speak thai is hard to ask for directions. So you must have a mean of transportation to get you around. Rent a car at the nearest airport (Khon Kaen or Roi Et), is that essential, you'll get bored easily if you stuck in the middle of nowhere with only your thai lady to speak to.

Having sorted out the practicalities, relax, smile, keep smiling and you'll have great time which you never forget. Isaan and its people are very addictive, you'll come back again and again ....

Hi

Hi there,

could you tell me where in the world you are coming from and have you been to upcountry Thailand before.

It seems to make a difference where you come from as some people do better than others.

Do you know what real Issan food is like? Do you know what you will be sleeping in?

All the best and welcome.

I'm from UK and this will be my first visit anywhere in Thailand. I've only had Thai food in Thai restaurant in UK and I'm not expecting it to be anything like that. As for where I'm sleeping I don't want to tempt fate but I think it will be in a normal bed.

As I said I think this will be a culture shock but at least I'm prepared for that and I'm looking forward to the callenge although that may change when I get there. I think it's a case of not knowing til I try and I think if I was absolutely sure of how things were going to go then I could end up being totally shocked if it turned out different.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm from UK and this will be my first visit anywhere in Thailand. I've only had Thai food in Thai restaurant in UK and I'm not expecting it to be anything like that. As for where I'm sleeping I don't want to tempt fate but I think it will be in a normal bed.

As I said I think this will be a culture shock but at least I'm prepared for that and I'm looking forward to the callenge although that may change when I get there. I think it's a case of not knowing til I try and I think if I was absolutely sure of how things were going to go then I could end up being totally shocked if it turned out different.

Thanks for the welcome.

Please keep us informed ! We are all very nosey and eager to know what happens. Have a good time. :o

also consider the weather, you'll be coming from Blighty in the middle of the winter, while in Thailand is going towards summer. It gets really hot in Isaan at that time of the year. How long will you be staying there?

Kimamy, I would personally book a hotel for a few days in BKK to aclimatise to thailand in general, I lived for 7 years in Thailand (not in issan) but have been in the Uk now with my thai husband for nearly 5 years & any visit from Uk to my MIL's now has to be preceeded by a stay in a reasonable hotel in either BKK or Khon Kaen for a night or two before hitting the family home. I personally get too much culture clash going on after nearly a year away & end up getting annoyed by the smalled things, also the jetlag can be quite harsh so combine that with the heat, dust, mossies, alien ways & general attention you will be getting & you could end up losing it a bit.

I'm impressed that so many people have taken the time to help. Thanks for all the advice some of which backs up what I had already considered so it must be worth taking.

I had decided that a car would be a good idea, with or without a stay in an hotel since it gives me more flexibility. My gf suggested that she meet me in Bangkok which has 2 advantages. Firstly as has been mentioned it will give me time to get used to the change of culture and secondly it will mean that I can avoid the problem of making my own way to her village. She also suggested going in February because of the weather. I'm not sure what to expect from the climate although I think that the humidity will be the problem. For the last 2 years I have visited a friend in the USA. She lives in Springfield Virginia just south of DC and she said I would find the heat a real problem but although the temperature was around 36oC (98oF) and peaked at 40oC (104oF) I found it less of a problem than the high 20's in the UK. It was undoubtedly hot but it didn't make me feel drained of energy like back home and I put this down to the lack of humidity so Thailand may be worse not so much for the high temperature but the high humitity.

Oh I nearly forgot I will be there from 6th February to the 22nd.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Further down Soi Srisawat (travelling away from Rajabhat), on the right side is a turn off for LAN MAI HOM (farangs sometimes pronounce it Ran My Home) which is a great multi-tiered restaurant/bar. Also not uncommon to find foreigners here.
  • Even further down Soi Srisawat, around the cross street of soi 24 or 25, you can see a hand-painted sign on the corner (on the right side) for a restaurant called BROTHER'S. Nong, the owner, lived in Australia for a few years and speaks decent English, but is always in the kitchen. Excellent food here, perhaps a bit spicier than normal. Try a whole deep fried tabtim fish with some friends. For some reason, I've never seen a foreigner here aside from when I took a group of twenty the night before my wedding.

I wanted to make a couple amendments to my directions above.

- The cross street for LAN MAI HOM is soi 29.

- The cross street for BROTHER'S is soi 23 (not 24 or 25). Be aware as the hnad-painted sign on the corner of soi 23 and Sisawat road is falling down.

Hi there

I have to tell you that the first time that I went " up there " was a few years back and I got a wealth of information from this forum.

Ray23 was invaluable with his advice and you can probably search the forum in the little white box at the top with the word Mahasarakham.

Try it and you can read the questions that I asked and see the answers.

The first time that I had the guts to visit the village we flew to Roi-Et from BKK and Roi-Et is really worth visiting. It is also a good option for you to home base at as it has food that you are used to and good hotels/apartments ect..

We trundled our way into the village on the back of a utility truck with seats down the sides and it was allmost like being the great white adventurer. Going where no white man has been before.

We slept on the sisters concrete floor downstairs. Most of the residents dont have concrete downstairs so I guess we were the lucky ones. The chickens started crowing ( or what ever chickens do ) at 5.00 AM inches from my head and at 6.00 the local temple gave the news on a looud speaker.

Ox and water buffalo are herded past the house every morning and evening and when the rice isnt being planted or picked the people just do nothing except eat and sleep.

Nobody there spoke any english and the food will just blow your mind. Forget Thai resturants because this is nothing like that unles the ones that you have been to serve insects.

But still it was an adventure.

Now after 3 trips there and now that the locals now me enough to be a regullar. I have lost the adventurer spirit.

It is very hard going in the village that I visit

If you want my advice, stay at Roi-Et and visit for the day.

All the best.

Hi there

I have to tell you that the first time that I went " up there " was a few years back and I got a wealth of information from this forum.

Ray23 was invaluable with his advice and you can probably search the forum in the little white box at the top with the word Mahasarakham.

The first time that I had the guts to visit the village we flew to Roi-Et from BKK and Roi-Et is really worth visiting. It is also a good option for you to home base at as it has food that you are used to and good hotels/apartments ect..

We trundled our way into the village on the back of a utility truck with seats down the sides and it was allmost like being the great white adventurer. Going where no white man has been before.

We slept on the sisters concrete floor downstairs. Most of the residents dont have concrete downstairs so I guess we were the lucky ones. The chickens started crowing ( or what ever chickens do ) at 5.00 AM inches from my head and at 6.00 the local temple gave the news on a looud speaker.

Ox and water buffalo are herded past the house every morning and evening and when the rice isnt being planted or picked the people just do nothing except eat and sleep.

Nobody there spoke any english and the food will just blow your mind. Forget Thai resturants because this is nothing like that unles the ones that you have been to serve insects.

Now after 3 trips there and now that the locals now me enough to be a regullar. I have lost the adventurer spirit.

All the best.

Surely you don't want to deny him that "great white adventurer" feeling you had? Now you've been a whole 3 times to a village and have conquered Isaan, seen the fried insects and heard the cock crow at 5.00 am, I guess there's no point another farang repeating your epic journey, eh?

Surely you don't want to deny him that "great white adventurer" feeling you had? Now you've been a whole 3 times to a village and have conquered Isaan, seen the fried insects and heard the cock crow at 5.00 am, I guess there's no point another farang repeating your epic journey, eh?

True there are still a lot of adventures to have in Isaan.

My friend Claudio was here many many years before we had telephones and internet. He comes every year. Still I am not sure that he always knows his way around.

As I told before: You keep us updated. If necessary we will organize a rescue operation to save you.

post-53941-1229171740_thumb.jpg

[quote ..

Agree with Placon , Vegamite has to learn the great feeling you can have to live in the country-site :wai:

My story.

and some more Idea’s how it can be.

We ( my wife my son 14 and me) live now for sometime in Mahasarakham and I have to say we are happy to live in this part of Thailand.

Before we had rented a house in Khonkaen, but after all is was to expensive. :D

(My wife is working in Mahasarakham)

Important also a good school for my son, Mahasarakham is know as the school city of Isan, we find for him a English program where he get a good education for about 34000 bath ( year) ( 8 farang Teachers)

:P

The house we rented (3000 bth/month) is in Wengnan, I think we are very lucky, the house have living/2 bedroom/big kitchen/big bathroom with bath./AC

It is a matter of looking around :D

The next neighbours lives about 100 mtr. Away. I have a hobby (Sunbirds) , look around on the website

www.sunbirds.synthasite.com

so never we are bored. Anyhow over all, sometimes visit of snakes, :D but to me it is no problem, there is a big “nest” with Geckos’ ( 16)on the back, now a part of the family. :D

I use my car to go Khonkaen sometimes to do big shopping. , but here, always travel with my bike.

Questions? Let me know, :o in Mahasarakham

For know a merry Xmas to your all, and look forward to the New Year 2009.

True there are still a lot of adventures to have in Isaan.

My friend Claudio was here many many years before we had telephones and internet. He comes every year. Still I am not sure that he always knows his way around.

As I told before: You keep us updated. If necessary we will organize a rescue operation to save you.

post-53941-1229171740_thumb.jpg

You mean Santa Claus used to visit you as well? dam_n! I used to think he only ever made a special detour to our house alone, and took so long trying to figure out how to slip in through the mosquito screened windows without making a mess, he never had time to visit anyone else. However, seeing the powerful billy goat he uses to get round your place (ours always had 3 reindeer which played havoc with the lawn), now I'm suspicious there maybe an imposter doing the rounds calling himself "Claudio". Like door-to-door salesmen and those bleeding JW's that come a knockin', always ask for ID when a tubby, ruddy Finn in a red coat lands on your roof on Xmas Eve. :o

Merry Xmas you Mahasarakham beetle-crunchers! :D

PS Putu - did you ever cycle to Khon Kaen? I did a few years ago (actually KK to MSK) and it took just over 6 hours into a headwind for much the way. Bloody killer!

PS Putu - did you ever cycle to Khon Kaen? I did a few years ago (actually KK to MSK) and it took just over 6 hours into a headwind for much the way. Bloody killer!

Oepsss No.... never, I prefer to swim :D Or use my power Kite ( only wind in the wrong direction)

You have done that?? :o maybe ready to do the Tour the France and beat Lance :D

I think Santa knows all farang so he can not miss our house (maybe he can bring some snow to :D

And......Nice to see your funny way of writing.

Idea.... why not organize a dinner with farang in Mahasarakham?

Hi there

All the best.

I am just trying to help someone that has never been to Thailand before and in as much I am trying to be honest.

Do you think it would have been better if I had said that once I got to the village I just kicked back in absolute luxury and enjoyed the feeling and I would recomend it to people of all ages and walks of life?

It does not suit all people and some would find it very hard going ( please read some of the previous posts )

By the way, how many times have you done the village thing?

Idea.... why not organize a dinner with farang in Mahasarakham?

If so I will come.

post-53941-1229343663_thumb.jpg me too !

And !! Beware of that guy with the reindeers ! He is renegade from the tomtefamily. Don't trust him ! He is really no good. He eloped to the US with a thai and tons of lao cao !!!!!!

Edited by JanAndersLarsson