Foreigners In Mahasarakam

irrigator

Important news (if you fancy a decent curry): Yesterday, my wife and I stumbled upon a new Muslim food restaurant that opened very recently in Mahasarakham. I tried a Masala curry and a Keema (watch how you pronounce this in Thai as if you get it wrong it means "dog crap!"); the former wasn't very good but the latter was. Also, one of the staff explained they would be changing to traditional style rotis next week. The ones they are serving now taste like they are made from instant pancake batter. The atmosphere is very nice with tables inside and outside on the grass. They also have a coffee bar inside with free wifi. The coffee was better than average and my wife had something I'd never seen before, avocado juice. This place is definitely worth a visit if you're into any combination of good coffee, curry, and free wifi.

No big deal, but I should note that there are signs prohibiting alcohol and pork on the premises.

The name of the restaurant is something like Kin Tawan (kin = branch; tawan = moon ??). There is no sign in English though. It is located on the opposite side of the street of the 7-11 closest to downtown on Srisawat road, next to the yellow and green "PuPa" VCD shop sign. From the front of the property you should be able to see a bunch of pavilions as well as tables and chairs set up on a lawn behind an orange-roofed gate.

/////////////

With this discovery, I now believe that Mahasarakham kicks even more ass! :o

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Yesterday, my wife and I stumbled upon a new Muslim food restaurant that opened very recently in Mahasarakham.

I just espied that place for the first time today myself, cbuddha, and asked the man 'ahan alai' - he told me Indian'! I didn't try it, but will next time, though your review was rather mixed. Have you tried in the Indian in Roi-Et yet? We'll have to go soon..

By the way this is my first post.. hello to all on the Maha Sarakham thread. I joined specifically because friends of mine including cbuddha and another guy recommended this thread. I'd enjoy getting together sometime in the next few weeks if you all do so.

As an aside - anyone know of 1) any furnished houses or large furnished apartments in the downtown? Budget maybe 3-4K/month. and 2) anyone know of any very cheap but servicable (but properly licenced) old motorbikes for sale in Sarakham?

I have also met IssanDM and Putu94 (need to ask him the meaning of this name sometime) and would relish a get together.

Regards

hello everybody

Yes we are waiting to be together again

The meaning of Putu: this is the name of my son, who is born in Bali

As you know we lived many years in Bali

Putu means number one eehhh a little lesson :o

de Sudra-Caste give's names,

First child: Wayan, Gede (man) of Putu

Second child: Made, Nengah of Kadek

third child: Nyoman of Komang

fourth child : Ketut

After this it start again. for woman start with "Ni" and man with " I"

The Caste system:

Brahmana , the caste of the priest " Ida Bagus (m) Ida Ayu ( v )

Ksatria The caste of Kings Anak Agung, of Cokorda / Tjokorde Gde (m) Tjokorde Istri (w)

Wesia the caste of Trade name start with I Gusti

Sudra the man on the street 90 % of the Balinese

And if you look for a nice cheap holiday let me know I will tell you where to go and where to stay

For know we are waiting to see you all

and not forget to look once to our nice Sunbirds Family

Take care allways

Greetings

Putu / Wayan :D

I'll be heading in to town Saturday from out here in the bush and I will make it a fact finding mission.

What's the old saying...The best laid plans of mice and men....that's my luck. Needless to say I didn't make to town last weekend as the flu decided my lungs would be a perfect home for a few days :o Fear no though as I'll try and keep working on it.

There's a new Muslim restaurant in town. No big deal, but I should note that there are signs prohibiting alcohol and pork on the premises. :D

Scratch one place off the list :D

I know you're just trying to help Vegemite, but you're also being too protective like an overbearing parent. Why not let him discover the joys, trials and tribulations of staying in a village all by himself? Just because you have a delicate constitution and it doesn't suit you, then that doesn't mean he is not going to fall in love with the place and pace of village life; honking pigs, crowing chickens, grinning grannies, roasted rats, warts and all. A bit of hardship and deprivation from the luxuries of modern life never hurt anyone and in fact, can do many people a lot of good. Just let him go and discover it without all this "great white adventurer" and nannying bull. We're all so impressed with your Ray Mears-like ability to survive in deepest, darkest Isaan.

Congratulations! :o

And what difference does it make how many times I've "done the village thing"? How does ten years plus sound? Make you feel any better? :D

Beaue pen yang ! Don't get upset it is Christmas time. Let's see if we can come together in MahaSarakam in middle of February and try to meet Kimamey and listen to his experiences so far. It could be nice being welcomed by the expat community here. I think he will do.

Merry Christmas to all of you. :D:D And welcome to Kimamey !!

P.S.

Don't count the years ! You only realize how old you are.

Well that sounds a great idea although right now I've no idea how to organise it. I suppose I could say which nights I will be in MSK and see if anyone could make it. Not sure about communicating whilst I'm there although mobile/cell phones seem ok as that's how I call my gf. Whatever happens I'm fascinated by all the information here. I'm really glad that as well as visiting Bangkok I will get to see the other perhaps more genuine side of Thailand.

Well it's almost time for me to fly out to Thailand for my first visit. I leave Heathrow on Thursday 5th and arrive the next morning. Then it's 3 days in Bangkok followed by a drive north to Isaan on Monday. After that I'm not sure until I go back to Bangkok on the 20th.

I do know that I will be on my own on 10th and 11th when my gf is at work so I my just explore on my own although the prospect is quite scary. I'm not sure if it would be possible to meet anyone on those 2 days or maybe another if I am around. Might be able to get out in the evening though. As I said to my gf, if I do end up moving to Thailand to be with her I will need non Thai contact I think if only because only a non Thai will be able to see things a little from my point of view. Not sure if I will be able to log into here while I'm away as I know she doesn't have iternet access in her home.

Anyway here's hoping I have a good time and you never know I might just meet someone from here.

I know you're just trying to help Vegemite, but you're also being too protective like an overbearing parent. Why not let him discover the joys, trials and tribulations of staying in a village all by himself? Just because you have a delicate constitution and it doesn't suit you, then that doesn't mean he is not going to fall in love with the place and pace of village life; honking pigs, crowing chickens, grinning grannies, roasted rats, warts and all. A bit of hardship and deprivation from the luxuries of modern life never hurt anyone and in fact, can do many people a lot of good. Just let him go and discover it without all this "great white adventurer" and nannying bull. We're all so impressed with your Ray Mears-like ability to survive in deepest, darkest Isaan.

Congratulations! :o

And what difference does it make how many times I've "done the village thing"? How does ten years plus sound? Make you feel any better? :D

Beaue pen yang ! Don't get upset it is Christmas time. Let's see if we can come together in MahaSarakam in middle of February and try to meet Kimamey and listen to his experiences so far. It could be nice being welcomed by the expat community here. I think he will do.

Merry Christmas to all of you. :D:D And welcome to Kimamey !!

P.S.

Don't count the years ! You only realize how old you are.

Well that sounds a great idea although right now I've no idea how to organise it. I suppose I could say which nights I will be in MSK and see if anyone could make it. Not sure about communicating whilst I'm there although mobile/cell phones seem ok as that's how I call my gf. Whatever happens I'm fascinated by all the information here. I'm really glad that as well as visiting Bangkok I will get to see the other perhaps more genuine side of Thailand.

Well it's almost time for me to fly out to Thailand for my first visit. I leave Heathrow on Thursday 5th and arrive the next morning. Then it's 3 days in Bangkok followed by a drive north to Isaan on Monday. After that I'm not sure until I go back to Bangkok on the 20th.

I do know that I will be on my own on 10th and 11th when my gf is at work so I my just explore on my own although the prospect is quite scary. I'm not sure if it would be possible to meet anyone on those 2 days or maybe another if I am around. Might be able to get out in the evening though. As I said to my gf, if I do end up moving to Thailand to be with her I will need non Thai contact I think if only because only a non Thai will be able to see things a little from my point of view. Not sure if I will be able to log into here while I'm away as I know she doesn't have iternet access in her home.

Anyway here's hoping I have a good time and you never know I might just meet someone from here.

Nothing to worry about. There are some good chaps up here who will make you feel very welcome.

The main thing is that you have no pre-conceptions of what it's like up here. Take it as you find it and enjoy. It will be very different from what you are used to but just take a deep breath before you condemn it.........or endorse it........

I will send you a PM with my contact details so you have someone to speak to (in English) when you get here.

Good luck.

Regards

Irrigator

First of all I'd like to thank all the posters here on this thread for the delightful information and the kindness and helpfulness concerning Kimamey's questions and concerns.

KIMAMEY…

It also looks to me like there are some very decent guys living in the Mahasapakham area and it would do you well to touch base with a couple of them as soon as you can after you arrive.

From what I have read and understood from this post you have never visited Thailand before and you have never met your G/F in person?

Those are two very challenging goals to say the least. I personally would never had survived the last seven years here had I experienced Thailand HOOK, LINE and SINKER like you are about to experience. But I was (and still am) an old grumpy man and changes in life styles have never been easy for me.

I took the easy way out when I moved here. I flew into BKK, popped into a taxi to Pattaya where I lived for two years, jumped up north to Chiang Mai for a year and then to BKK for another year before slittering back to the Pattaya area for yet another year. The last two years I have lived in the Issan area in an area called Udon Thani.

But all that said, I remember what someone told me within the first month of arriving Thailand--not that I can apply this concept, but I try.

"----Living in Thailand should be like sitting in a canoe traveling down a beautiful river. You must learn to enjoy the ride down the river including the many curves and rapids that you will encounter along the way. Trying to change direction or speed is impossible and will only stress you out trying. You cannot change the way the river flows just as you cannot change Thailand's behavior. It is what it is and if you learn to relax and enjoy it, you will enjoy yourself here."

Kimamey, I wish you a happy holiday in the L.O.S. (Land Of Surprises)

To the rest of you guys in the Mahasarakham area, reading the posts have been enlightening to me and I will pop down sometime this year to check out the area.

Udon Thani has been fun and real for me, but it hasn't been real fun and I believe I am ready for a change.

Good luck with your G/F and the river ride Kimamey.

Edited by just_another_guy

Nothing to worry about. There are some good chaps up here who will make you feel very welcome.

Regards

Irrigator

Agree with Irrigator , you will feel like home

And beside have a drink some time you can eat here very nice tomatoes ( even better then I know from my home country Holland)

David ( writing under the name Irrigator) is growing big, juicy meat tomatoes on his farm.

I believe it is done on a hydroponic way.

His farm... 15 km outside Mahasarakham in the direction of Wapi Pathum.

About 3 to 4 tomatoes in one kilo.

When I buy the tomatoes I pay 50 bath a kilo, and they stay good for many weeks

Just a idea :o , buy nice cheese from Holland ( it can be send in one week)and together on your bread , you know you eat very healthy mmmmm jammie jammie :D

Regards

Putu

Greetings

Am fairly new to the board but have made a few prior posts. Sounds like I am located fairly close to Irrigator, I am located near Kae Dam and my wifes daughters go to school in Wapi Pathum. Would like to hear more about the possibility of meeting up with other BM's and would like to hear from irrigator about his farm and buying some of those tomatos

Cheers

[quote ..

Surely you don't want to deny him that "great white adventurer" feeling you had? Now you've been a whole 3 times to a village and have conquered Isaan, seen the fried insects and heard the cock crow at 5.00 am, I guess there's no point another farang repeating your epic journey, eh?

Agree with Placon , Vegamite has to learn the great feeling you can have to live in the country-site

My story.

and some more Idea's how it can be.

We ( my wife my son 14 and me) live now for sometime in Mahasarakham and I have to say we are happy to live in this part of Thailand.

Before we had rented a house in Khonkaen, but after all is was to expensive.

(My wife is working in Mahasarakham)

Important also a good school for my son, Mahasarakham is know as the school city of Isan, we find for him a English program where he get a good education for about 34000 bath ( year) ( 8 farang Teachers)

:D

The house we rented (3000 bth/month) is in Wengnan, I think we are very lucky, the house have living/2 bedroom/big kitchen/big bathroom with bath./AC

It is a matter of looking around :D

The next neighbours lives about 100 mtr. Away. I have a hobby (Sunbirds) , look around on the website

www.sunbirds.synthasite.com

so never we are bored. Anyhow over all, sometimes visit of snakes, :D but to me it is no problem, there is a big "nest" with Geckos' ( 16)on the back, now a part of the family. :D

I use my car to go Khonkaen sometimes to do big shopping. , but here, always travel with my bike.

Questions? Let me know, :o in Mahasarakham

For know a merry Xmas to your all, and look forward to the New Year 2009.

reply for putu and others.

Hi Putu94 just joined the forum and was interested in this post, as i have a thai fiancee who is from a village just twenty minutes drive from mahasarakham, we are in the uk now but are due to visit her family in march for about 5 weeks and would like to rent somewhere in mahasarakham for that period, any ideas ? currently the only thing i have been quoted is for a hotel room.

the plan is when we marry is to spend 3 months every year in mahasarakham, so this is a test run.

also i would be obliged if any forum members have any advice for me on what to bring/not to bring and whether or not i can have access to a wireless network when i am over.

i have enjoyed reading the posts and would be happy to meet up if there is anything organised from the 12th march onwards,thanks in anticipation of the replies

Edited by tibap

[quote ..

Surely you don't want to deny him that "great white adventurer" feeling you had? Now you've been a whole 3 times to a village and have conquered Isaan, seen the fried insects and heard the cock crow at 5.00 am, I guess there's no point another farang repeating your epic journey, eh?

Agree with Placon , Vegamite has to learn the great feeling you can have to live in the country-site

My story.

and some more Idea's how it can be.

We ( my wife my son 14 and me) live now for sometime in Mahasarakham and I have to say we are happy to live in this part of Thailand.

Before we had rented a house in Khonkaen, but after all is was to expensive.

(My wife is working in Mahasarakham)

Important also a good school for my son, Mahasarakham is know as the school city of Isan, we find for him a English program where he get a good education for about 34000 bath ( year) ( 8 farang Teachers)

The house we rented (3000 bth/month) is in Wengnan, I think we are very lucky, the house have living/2 bedroom/big kitchen/big bathroom with bath./AC

It is a matter of looking around :D

The next neighbours lives about 100 mtr. Away. I have a hobby (Sunbirds) , look around on the website

www.sunbirds.synthasite.com

so never we are bored. Anyhow over all, sometimes visit of snakes, :D but to me it is no problem, there is a big "nest" with Geckos' ( 16)on the back, now a part of the family. :D

I use my car to go Khonkaen sometimes to do big shopping. , but here, always travel with my bike.

Questions? Let me know, :o in Mahasarakham

For know a merry Xmas to your all, and look forward to the New Year 2009.

Hi Putu94 just joined the forum and was interested in this post, as i have a thai fiancee who is from a village just twenty minutes drive from mahasarakham, we are in the uk now but are due to visit her family in march for about 5 weeks and would like to rent somewhere in mahasarakham for that period, any ideas ? currently the only thing i have been quoted is for a hotel room.

the plan is when we marry is to spend 3 months every year in mahasarakham, so this is a test run.

also i would be obliged if any forum members have any advice for me on what to bring/not to bring and whether or not i can have access to a wireless network when i am over.

i have enjoyed reading the posts and would be happy to meet up if there is anything organised from the 12th march onwards,thanks in anticipation of the replies

I think for the period of time you are talking about a hotel is your best bet.......Mahasarakam is not awash with serviced apartments, as far as I am aware........or go and stay with the prospective outlaws........perhaps a potentially daunting experience but you should try it at least once !!!

As far as what to bring with is concerned at that time of year, shorts and some t shirts and money......... the rest will look after itself.

Wireless internet may be available at the Taksila ( I actually don't know, never having stayed there) but if you are in town you will at the very least have dial up. Some of the chaps who live in town may be more familiar with what is and what is not available.

I think we are trying to get a meeting together for the end of this month or early March but that doesn't have to be the last one !!! I am sure that we wil be able to get together when you are here.

Regards

Hi Tibap

I write before, but I see something is gone wrong :D

To rent a house for a short time is difficult ( I still look) but why make all the hustle ?

If you wanted to rent for long term let me know.

I think maybe Taksila is a good option, the main hotel is about 1100 bath a day , but on the back you will find good rooms for 700 bath, and you have air con. :o ( just a idea)

(it start to get hot again)

In the main hotel you have access to Wifi

I use a wireless modem C-motech from CDMA ( catcom) (pay 750bath a month)

From the 12 th of march We will be not there for some weeks ( it is the big school holiday and we going to Bali)

Take Care

Hi Tibap

I write before, but I see something is gone wrong :D

To rent a house for a short time is difficult ( I still look) but why make all the hustle ?

If you wanted to rent for long term let me know.

I think maybe Taksila is a good option, the main hotel is about 1100 bath a day , but on the back you will find good rooms for 700 bath, and you have air con. :o ( just a idea)

(it start to get hot again)

In the main hotel you have access to Wifi

I use a wireless modem C-motech from CDMA ( catcom) (pay 750bath a month)

From the 12 th of march We will be not there for some weeks ( it is the big school holiday and we going to Bali)

Take Care

Hi Putu and thanks for the reply, it looks like a hotel will be the best option this time, i wonder if you have the contact details for the Taksila and any other hotels in town.

Have a nice holiday and thanks to you and Irrigator once again for your reply.

In this village, there have only ever been 3 farang pass through and I am the only one to go back for seconds. It is around 45 minutes from Mahasarakham in a southeast direction.<br />In the middle of nowhere so to speak. There are buffalo, ox and chickens everywhere and not a lot else other than the ants, scorpions, lizards ect..<br />They throw thier rubbish out of the house window and what the chickens dont eat gets scratched up every blue moon and burnt. Until we put a ceiling in under the main house the odd baby rat would drop through the gaps in the floorboards. It was great for the kids to play with before they threw the things to the chickens.<br />The people are very nice but they cant talk to us farang and even if you know some Thai you wont here it there. They speak issan/Lao.<br />So I do know something about it.<br />All the best.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Vegemite... may I ask where you are or were? Moo Ban, Tambon, and Ampure? I live about 45 minutes southeast as well and you described something quite similar to my village.

Hope all is well.

Noi

Hi Putu and thanks for the reply, it looks like a hotel will be the best option this time, i wonder if you have the contact details for the Taksila and any other hotels in town.

Have a nice holiday and thanks to you and Irrigator once again for your reply.

Thanks

I know this is the website www.taksila.com ( but i not get it for the moment)

Also I think Taksila is the best option , it is a nice hotel, 4**** :o

(0) 43 719999

Greetings

[quote name=irrigator'

I think we are trying to get a meeting together for the end of this month or early March but that doesn't have to be the last one !!! I am sure that we wil be able to get together when you are here.

Regards

Hi everybody

Well the meeting is settled on 28th feb. (see you then) :D

Something else to know , is a good Travel Agency in Mahasarakham ( they speak excellent English)

We have done a few bookings , the service is good.

By the way ,we have booked again for Oktober to Bali , cost return 0000, Free flight with Asian Air :D

Maybe you still have the change to book a free flight, go to http://www.airasia.com/

But hurry only till 15th feb. :o

Here the Travel Agency:

Kwanphakkapimm S.

Sales & Marketing Manager

DivaGate Co.,Ltd.

Your High Trust Travel Agency

Tel: 66 43 712 830

Mobile: 66 8 1860 1930

e-mail: [email protected]

Greetings