Uk Tefl Course? Thai Tefl Course?

The benefits of completing in Thailand are that you will teach Thai students on your teaching practices, you'll understand cultural differences and how they affect classroom management, discipline etc, I'm sure your TEFL course will give you job support and some will even sponsor you to obtain a 1-year multiple-entry non-immigrant B visa.

I think by Part 1 and Part 2 you mean the TCT's proposal to make teacher licences compulsory and the steps teachers will need to obtain a Teacher Licence. Currently, the 20-hour Culture Training course is compulsory but it doesn't seem the Knowledge Test is being universally implemented. Schools and teachers are just ignoring this requirement and many teachers are just obtaining renewable 2-year 'temporary' Teacher Licences. In Thailand when resistance is met, compromises are introduced. Anyway, you'll need to have 1-year of teaching experience before you need to worry about any of this as new teachers are exempt.

The benefits of completing in Thailand are that you will teach Thai students on your teaching practices, you'll understand cultural differences and how they affect classroom management, discipline etc, I'm sure your TEFL course will give you job support and some will even sponsor you to obtain a 1-year multiple-entry non-immigrant B visa.

I think by Part 1 and Part 2 you mean the TCT's proposal to make teacher licences compulsory and the steps teachers will need to obtain a Teacher Licence. Currently, the 20-hour Culture Training course is compulsory but it doesn't seem the Knowledge Test is being universally implemented. Schools and teachers are just ignoring this requirement and many teachers are just obtaining renewable 2-year 'temporary' Teacher Licences. In Thailand when resistance is met, compromises are introduced. Anyway, you'll need to have 1-year of teaching experience before you need to worry about any of this as new teachers are exempt.

OK thanks for the info Loaded, I don't think I have enough capital to live off for the interest alone so need a job that will subsidise it. Is it viable that I would get a job teaching? I have a small amount of experience teaching CAD in the UK, but no formal qualification.

OK thanks for the info Loaded, I don't think I have enough capital to live off for the interest alone so need a job that will subsidise it. Is it viable that I would get a job teaching? I have a small amount of experience teaching CAD in the UK, but no formal qualification.

I know foreigners in Chiang Mai who have stepped off the overnight khaosan-road bus and been offered teaching jobs in language schools such as NES. No TEFL, no degree, no experience, no work permit, no problem. Obviously, the more paper you have (TEFL + degree), the more chance you have of obtaining one of the better jobs.

Hi

I am starting a TEFL course in Khon Kaen on Monday, I visited the Institute on Wednesday and was impressed with the set up and the trainer, Steve. I was given the course modules and an audio recording. There are 5 of us on the course 4 Brits and an American. Had a chat with Steve for an hour or so and then we went to check out the accomodation, brand new apartment block in the University grounds, 4000 Baht per month plus 400 Baht per month for laundry. Very nice room with en suite and small balcony, fridge, cable TV and AC. Fully agree with Loaded that the benefit of doing the course in Thailand is that it will give you an idea of the problems Thai learners have with the language. I also opted for the 6 week course Monday - Thursday as I have heard that the four week course is quite intense.

Chris

Hi

I am starting a TEFL course in Khon Kaen on Monday, I visited the Institute on Wednesday and was impressed with the set up and the trainer, Steve. I was given the course modules and an audio recording. There are 5 of us on the course 4 Brits and an American. Had a chat with Steve for an hour or so and then we went to check out the accomodation, brand new apartment block in the University grounds, 4000 Baht per month plus 400 Baht per month for laundry. Very nice room with en suite and small balcony, fridge, cable TV and AC. Fully agree with Loaded that the benefit of doing the course in Thailand is that it will give you an idea of the problems Thai learners have with the language. I also opted for the 6 week course Monday - Thursday as I have heard that the four week course is quite intense.

Chris

Hi Chris,

that sounds really good, how much does the course cost?

Damien

Hi Damien

The cost of the course cost was £685. I have just finished the first week of the 6 week course and it is very enjoyable, there is a heavy influence of the difficulties Thai's have with English; they have one tense, we have twelve, pronunciation, grammar structure etc which is very beneficial.

The class times are 10.00 - 16.00 Monday - Thursday and I must admit the time flies as there are plenty of practical sessions and rather than being spoon fed the info Steve drags it out of us, all in all it is very pro-active rather than passive.

I have 16 years experience of instructing technical subjects for the military and I have really benefited and learned a lot already about actual teaching. Sure grammar comes into it but it is just a matter of accepting it will take time to master, but again I have improved my understanding of grammar already.

If you want any extra information PM me and I will be happy to give it.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by aitch52

• 1 month later...

hi, please excuse the total newbee question but i'm interested in getting a TOEFL certificate and wonder what is involved? i saw a website where you can take the test for about $160. is it enough to simply take a tests or is there more to it? i did a few sample English grammar tests on line and can score 100% every time so i'm not sure what the point is of taking a class. is classroom time required?

here's the link to the test site http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.cgi?urlS...=group_Thailand

thanks, steve

Edited by stevehaigh

hi, please excuse the total newbee question but i'm interested in getting a TOEFL certificate and wonder what is involved? i saw a website where you can take the test for about $160. is it enough to simply take a tests or is there more to it? i did a few sample English grammar tests on line and can score 100% every time so i'm not sure what the point is of taking a class. is classroom time required?

here's the link to the test site http://www.ets.org/bin/getprogram.cgi?urlS...=group_Thailand

thanks, steve

actually i just realised i'm quite confused about the acronyms. i guess TOEFL is simply to show you can read, write, understand and speak English, TEFL is for teaching, right?

the latter sounds like a bigger deal but the former looks pretty easy and cheap to get. do you think schools want you to have TEFL or will TOEFL suffice for most places?

TOEFL = TEST of English as a Foreign Language. An American test sponsored and administered by ETS at Princeton, same outfit that makes the College Board exams such as SAT and PSAT. Not for teaching, just to prove your proficiency in English, which you need not prove if you are an American citizen, born and bred.

TEFL = Teaching English as a Foreign Language.- a course teaching teachers how to teach English to foreigners.

Hi Steve

I have just completed the 120 hour TEFL course and is it worthwhile, well depending on the company you choose a resounding yes. I have 16 years experience as a technical instructor and I certainly learned a lot of techniques in how to teach English to foreign students. The subject matter of the course was in the main relevant, I have built a foundation of knowledge of English grammar which I intend to build upon, and the 6 practise teaching sessions are invaluable. In addition to that there was information on how the Thai school system works or otherwise and advice and ongoing support for getting a job.

Good Luck

Chris