Required To Report Address If Out-in Every 90?

Mon 6 Dec 04, 11:36 a.m.

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, I cannot find a reference.

Just when I think I have my head partially wrapped around this stuff, someone throws me a curve! :o

Long-term residents with a one-year visa who are not rquired to do "visa runs" must update their address with Immigration every 90 days either in person or in some cases by mail. Correct?

However, if you are on a one-year, multiple entry "B" or similar, which requires you to do a "visa run" every 90 days, do you still have to update your addy every 90 with Immigration? :D

Thanks, lah!

Aloha,

Rex

Mon 6 Dec 04

Thanks thaihome & lopburi. I just heard the same thing 15 minutes ago from someone who should know. It would seem logical that filling in the TM card with your addy satisfies that requirement. However, one can certainly get one's ass in a heap of trouble around here by relying on logic! :o

Thanks for putting a fine point on it.

Aloha,

Rex

Mon 6 Dec 04, 9:27 p.m.

Peace & George,

The semantics have always been fuzzy making a complicated subject even more complex. I have always heard the term "visa run", and that's what those companies sell you when you buy a trip in a van from Pattaya to the Poipet border and back. But to make it even more fuzzy, many (most?) of the people going on those trips don't have an actual visa in the first place (!) only a 30 day entry stamp in their passport! And that's another thing; I have always called it a "30 Entry Stamp" but have never heard what the real term is, or if there even is one.

And another thing regarding a one-year, multiple entry "B" Visa or similar, and getting your passport stamped every 90. What exactly are you doing when you get your passport stamped? You are not "renewing" or "reactivating" your visa because it has not expired and is active for one year.

There most be some official terms for these processes and concepts, but I have never heard what they are or any two people agree on what to call them.

Go figure!

Aloha,

Rex

Agree with Rexall that the common usage would be visa run as your visa requires a new stamp every 90 days to allow you to stay.

But George is right in that it probably should be called a border run (or entry stamp run).

You are renewing your permission to stay stamp on these runs would be my take.

Do I keep everyone happy or make enemies on all sides? :o

Agree with Rexall that the common usage would be visa run as your visa requires a new stamp every 90 days to allow you to stay. 

But George is right in that it probably should be called a border run (or entry stamp run).

You are renewing your permission to stay stamp on these runs would be my take.

Do I keep everyone happy or make enemies on all sides? :o

We all love you Lop :D

In the long run the system becomes crystal clear (perhaps if the glass is not cleaned :o )

Basically, everybody who wishes to visit Thailand needs a visa, which can be obtained by a Royal Thai Mission outside of Thailand. Depending on the purpose of the visit various visa are granted, basically:

1. Transit Visa

2. Tourist Visa

3. Non-Immigrant Visa

4. Diplomatic Visa

5. Official Visa

6. Immigrant Visa

7. Non-Quota Immigrant Visa

8. Courtesy Visa

When the holder of a visa arrives at Thailand's border, the immigration police takes over and decides how long one may stay in the country. The decision is with the immigration police and nobody else (although they usually do follow the visa-type) Once you get the permission to stay your visa is USED.

An exception is the TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION, granted to holders of p/ports from 41 countries, who do not need to apply for a visa but will be granted a permission to stay in Thailand for 30 days, for tourist - activities, only, upon arrival.

Always bear in mind, once you use the visa and receive a permission to stay, the visa is void. IF you have a visa with multiple entries, let's say 1, 2 or 3 entries, everytime you arrive one entry is cancelled the remaining are still valid to be used next time.

Same of course with multiple, unspecified number of entries. Upon each entry you get a permission to stay and can go on until the visa itself expires.

In the long run the system becomes crystal clear (perhaps if the glass is not cleaned :o )

Basically, everybody who wishes to visit Thailand needs a visa, which can be obtained by a Royal Thai Mission outside of Thailand. Depending on the purpose of the visit various visa are granted, basically:

1. Transit Visa

2. Tourist Visa

3. Non-Immigrant Visa

4. Diplomatic Visa

5. Official Visa

6. Immigrant Visa

7. Non-Quota Immigrant Visa

8. Courtesy Visa

When the holder of a visa arrives at Thailand's border, the immigration police takes over and decides how long one may stay in the country. The decision is with the immigration police and nobody else (although they usually do follow the visa-type) Once you get the permission to stay your visa is USED.

An exception is the TOURIST VISA EXEMPTION, granted to holders of p/ports from 41 countries, who do not need to apply for a visa but will be granted a permission to stay in Thailand for 30 days, for tourist - activities, only, upon arrival.

Always bear in mind, once you use the visa and receive a permission to stay, the visa is void. IF you have a visa with multiple entries, let's say 1, 2 or 3 entries, everytime you arrive one entry is cancelled the remaining are still valid to be used next time.

Same of course with multiple, unspecified number of entries. Upon each entry you get a permission to stay and can go on until the visa itself expires.

Succinct and accurately put Axel :D

In the long run the system becomes crystal clear (perhaps if the glass is not cleaned :D )

Succinct and accurately put Axel :D

Who is the 41st country?...........always thought it was 39 plus Hong Kong. :o

Who  is  the  41st  country?...........always  thought  it  was  39  plus  Hong  Kong.  :o

Thaiflyer, difficult to follow, as even mfa-website not always up to date.

The latest I have from that site (scroll more down)

IV. List of countries which have concluded agreement on the

exemption of visa requirement for holders of ordinary

passport with Thailand and permitted to stay for 30 and

90 days

1. Laos

2. Vietnam

3. Hong Kong SAR

4. Macau SAR

The funny thing, mfa as well mentiones 39, but than counts to 40 (incl. Vietnam).

Add 41 Laos and take Macao, same as Hong Kong, as Region.

Who  is  the  41st  country?...........always  thought  it  was  39  plus  Hong  Kong.  :o

Thaiflyer, difficult to follow, as even mfa-website not always up to date.

The latest I have from that site (scroll more down)

IV. List of countries which have concluded agreement on the

exemption of visa requirement for holders of ordinary

passport with Thailand and permitted to stay for 30 and

90 days

1. Laos

2. Vietnam

3. Hong Kong SAR

4. Macau SAR

The funny thing, mfa as well mentiones 39, but than counts to 40 (incl. Vietnam).

Add 41 Laos and take Macao, same as Hong Kong, as Region.

Aye i was forgetting about Laos.........thats just come in to force hasn't it....2nd December?