Fishing Off Lamai Beach, Koh Samui

SteveOz

Hi to all.

Flying out tonight (from the UK) for two weeks stay at the Spa Resort, Lamai Beach and was hoping to bring a travel spinning rod with me to have a go off the beach while the wife has her various pampering sessions in the Spa.

Wasn't thinking of anything too serious and was planning on bringing some light tackle and a few small spinning lures that I use in the UK.

What are my chances of catching something from the beach with a lure and would I be better off using another tactic.

Regards Steve.

Hi to all.

Flying out tonight (from the UK) for two weeks stay at the Spa Resort, Lamai Beach and was hoping to bring a travel spinning rod with me to have a go off the beach while the wife has her various pampering sessions in the Spa.

Wasn't thinking of anything too serious and was planning on bringing some light tackle and a few small spinning lures that I use in the UK.

What are my chances of catching something from the beach with a lure and would I be better off using another tactic.

Regards Steve.

Try the southern part of Lamai beach where there are more rocks, more likelyto catch soemthing there, then just off the beach, front of the SPA.

Hi to all.

Regards Steve.

Try the southern part of Lamai beach where there are more rocks, more likelyto catch soemthing there, then just off the beach, front of the SPA.

Will I be OK with small spinners that I use for Salmon in the Uk?

Edited by SteveOz

Hi to all.

Regards Steve.

Will I be OK with small spinners that I use for Salmon in the Uk?

Use a spoon jig if you just want to cast out and hope. I'd also use a sabiki rig with a weight on the end to catch live bait. Saltwater lures and plugs are ok, but you won't get much casting distance.

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day with the wife at a spa."

good luck,

meandwi

Hi, lots ofThais use the Seatran pier to fish from in Bangrak. Ive seen sme good size fish caught there. If you want some big game fishing you would need to hop over to Koh Tao. You get some good size Marlin there and its not that expensive. PM me if you want a number. Enjoy it either way :o

Your spinners should work just fine. If you cast over the shallow reefs off the beach you will most likely catch small (and I mean small) groupers and such. Catching them should still be fun on light or ultralight tackle. From the Spa I would make my way East as the water is shallow and the further you go the rockier it gets.

• 5 months later...

Best way is to hire a kayak and head out to the headlands, watch out for the rips though!

Cast towards the rocks, small poppers or soft plastics work best. Expect to catch small queenfish, baracuda, groupers and trevalleys, not GT though.

Anywhere with a little coral is best, fish light, with braid and the lightest leader you can, longtom are easy to catch and fun on light tackle, you need a thick leader or they will bite you off.