Young Brit Dies In Mystery Fall

JetsetBkk

Young Brit dies in mystery fall

PATONG: A young British tourist mysteriously fell from the fifth floor of a building early Monday evening and died en route to hospital.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnark identified the deceased from his passport as UK national Joseph John Nason, age 22.

Mr Nason and a friend, aged 19, arrived in Phuket on a flight from Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport on November 2. The pair were staying at the Deevana Patong Resort & Spa on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Rd, he said.

The critically-injured Mr Nason, dressed only in his underwear, was discovered by passers-by in front of a five-story shophouse opposite the well-known Christin Massage parlor at 8:10 pm.

He was rushed to Patong Hospital, but died on the way.

Full story here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/dailynews/index.asp?id=6888

This is a very strange case and I'm surprised no-one has really picked up on it yet.

This young lad has died under very mysterious circumstances and the police are trying to say it's suicide.

There are conflicting reports about how long the individual had been in Patong, some saying a couple of days and some saying a couple of hours.

Although the police claim he fell/jumped form the shophouse complex, they cannot determine from which floor or apartment he came.

The young man was found with serious head injuries, in the street dressed only in his underwear.

Eyewitnesses claim to have seen the youth running in the area previously, although they claim he wasn't being chased and I presume he was fully clothed.

The young man was apparantly a happy individual that was looking forward to his vacation.

Why would he commit suicide?

Who was he with and where had he been in the hours leading to his discovery?

Where are his clothes and his possesions?

What are the police doing to investigate this death further?

I have deleted 12 pointless posts &/or the replies to them. A young man is dead & all some of you can do is act like children trying to score points off each other. Have a bit of decorum, grow up & show some respect to this young mans family.

<deleted>, I have to wonder why I even have to type that!!!

RIP to this young man & condolences to his family & friends.

I have deleted 12 pointless posts &/or the replies to them. A young man is dead & all some of you can do is act like children trying to score points off each other. Have a bit of decorum, grow up & show some respect to this young mans family.

you are 1000% correct-

thanks very much for pointing that out and message- I also apologys for allowing myself to enter that school yard game,espeically at this time...

I hope the family is okay, (as I know the UK embassy here will well look the family, they seem to do this very well)

and that the case will be dealt with correctly

this is my concern because I have seen many an investigation not progress due to some sort of need to wrap things up quickly and close it ( not just here, and not just in 3rd world places unfortunatly)

can someone tell me this please, is it not true that all overseas murders are independantly investigated by UK police? and that the murder/death of foreign national here gets far more investigating time/budget allowance

I can think of over 100 questions I would like to ask that could help give some clarity such as the ones I asked before. I think it is true to say much can be shown/inferred when one has all the established facts in.It is getting them that is the problems.

is there anymore intersting info available and does anyone know the state of the investigation?

and does anyone know the state of the investigation?

Ha, "state of the investigation", comatose. From your handle I assume you live here? Please see similar "investigations" into the female marine that went off the balconey at Club Andaman, the person that did the same about a month later, the Norwegian man killed on the Kata Viewpoint road a year ago etc. I can rattle off half a dozen.

There is no "state", it's a country called Thailand.

All due respects to family and friends, I don't mean to offend anyone including Boooooooooooooooooo

Since my reply of expressing my condolences to this young man's family was deleted I will try and post it again.

My sincere condolences to this young man's family and friends. It is sad that he had to leave this life at such a young age. RIP.

Ha, "state of the investigation", comatose. From your handle I assume you live here? Please see similar "investigations" into the female marine that went off the balconey at Club Andaman, the person that did the same about a month later, the Norwegian man killed on the Kata Viewpoint road a year ago etc. I can rattle off half a dozen.

All due respects to family and friends, I don't mean to offend anyone including Boooooooooooooooooo

First of all, to the family and friends. My heart goes out to you. May he rest in peace.

Hopefully he will be in a better place now.This can be a cruel world and I hope the person(s) who did this aweful thing will be brought to justice.

To Mr Huggy, with all due respects darling, please listen to me... stop it! Lets it end please.You are fighting a losing battle and only looking more foolish each time you post.

This is neither the time nor place. Have some heart and a little sense.Think who may be reading this.

Godbless

XXX

First of all, to the family and friends. My heart goes out to you. May he rest in peace.

Hopefully he will be in a better place now.This can be a cruel world and I hope the person(s) who did this aweful thing will be brought to justice.

To Mr Huggy, with all due respects darling, please listen to me... stop it! Lets it end please.You are fighting a losing battle and only looking more foolish each time you post.

This is neither the time nor place. Have some heart and a little sense.Think who may be reading this.

Godbless

XXX

"darling"?

There is no indication whatsoever that the fellow was murdered. In all likelihood this death will be due to "misadventure". Older folks forget what they were like when they were 19 and full of energy and fun. Most 19 year olds do not have the same appreciation of danger, or of risk avoidance as a 30 year old or a 50 year old. 19 year old boys can be fearless. That's why I'm not willing to assume anything other than some kid was trying to climb a building and fell down. If the toxicology results come back in a couple more weeks and show that his alcohol blood level was elevated, your answer will be self evident. For all we know he could have been drinking and locked himself out of his room. It's a tragedy, but all of us can cite similar events from our youth. Orlando Bloom fell off a building in much the same way when he was in University. looking back he doesn't know what he was thinking and regrets what he did as he spent time in a hospital and was nearly paralyzed.

Now before you all pounce on me, please consider a similar story in Pattaya last week (courtesy of the Pattaya News)Honeymoon Holiday Tragedy as Foreigner Jumps to his Death. (At first glance it's a suicide but it isn't , and not really indicative of what happened)

The Adriatic Palace hotel ......... scene of a tragic mistake that led to the accidental death of 28-year-old Russian tourist who was on a honeymoon holiday with his new bride. The victim apparently decided to jump onto a temporary light-coloured tarpaulin that was covering the internal space between floors in the hotel and had been placed there while painting was taking place. The tarpaulin was unable to hold Mr Pebitski's weight and he fell 11 floors to his death. ...........................

Had the wife not been present and confirmed the fellow was drinking, people would be quick to say it was murder because it's not normal to jump onto tarps strung over walkways. Well, unfortunately, people do stupid things. It's part of being young and drinking.

I read the thread and observe it to be all speculation. BG this, LB that. I'd prefer more substantive info than the product of men juiced up on tabloid news. 18 year old boys don't have to pay for anything. Party yes, but until then, I'm going to stick to my belief that it was a tired over enthused kid that drank too much. Sorry, but I have done similar things as have my friends at that age, so maybe I'm projecting. I hope his friend gets some support as its a heavy memory to carry.

I read the thread and observe it to be all speculation. BG this, LB that. I'd prefer more substantive info than the product of men juiced up on tabloid news. 18 year old boys don't have to pay for anything. Party yes, but until then, I'm going to stick to my belief that it was a tired over enthused kid that drank too much. Sorry, but I have done similar things as have my friends at that age, so maybe I'm projecting. I hope his friend gets some support as its a heavy memory to carry.

This is an interesting situation, reminds us all that Thailand can be a pretty violent place.

First, I find it curious he was found in his underwear. Wouldn't he have been changing his clothes at the resort he was staying at?

This is where I part ways with Geriatricked's conclusion, if the deceased was drunk and climbing the building wouldn't he have still had his clothes on?

The location: Notorious, and I won't go any further as my last conclusion was deleted.

RIP, and sorry to all family and friends who knew this chap.

It's you who is speculating, even though you claim not too. Maybe 'projecting' is something else.

You seem to be missing the point of my own and others concern...

The lack of, information, investigation, news, the lack of interest.

It's very sad.

My comment was in respect to the teak thread referenced.

Make no mistake, I am in full agreement with your view on "The lack of, information, investigation, news, the lack of interest." I would take it one step further that the inability of the police authorities to ever provide a coherent statement at the outset of an event followed by a transparent investigation combined with tabloid style reporting and one never gets the full story.

My concern was that here's a kid that's lost his life and before anyone knows what happened for sure, there are folks assuming he was off on some gender bender. I think he's entitled to retain his dignity and some measure of privacy for his personal life.

The story in the Gazette has now been expanded in detail:

Young Brit dies in mystery fall

PATONG: A young English tourist mysteriously fell from a building in Patong early Monday evening and died en route to hospital.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnark identified the deceased from his passport as UK national Joseph John Nason, age 22.

Mr Nason and a friend, aged 19, had just arrived in Phuket on a flight from Bangkok and were staying at the Deevana Patong Resort & Spa on Rat -U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, he said.

The critically-injured Mr Nason was discovered lying unconscious in front of a derelict three-story shophouse on a soi off Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Rd at about 2 am.

He was rushed to Patong Hospital, but died on the way.

Mr Nason’s friend was shocked when he learned of his friend’s death. He said they had gone out on the town that night and split up at about midnight.

He had no idea how Mr Nason ended up in the area where the tragedy occurred, which is a densely populated neighborhood not far from the Montana Grand Phuket hotel.

Police say Mr Nason was seen running though the area before his fall, though there were no reports that anybody was chasing him at the time.

He climbed into the derelict building and lost his footing on the first or second floor, falling to the ground and hitting his head on a metal support bar.

The full story can be found here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/article6892.html

(The original link I posted no longer works.)

The new story makes no reference to him being dressed only in his underwear.

I just find it so hard to believe that more people aren't asking questions about this. I agree with Huggy. I don't think he is fighting a losing battle at all. More needs to be done. It seems like the attitude is TIT as in "this is Thailand". Well, maybe it is time for change. The marine that was referenced that died from a "fall" was my friend and I love her. I for one, think that it is crazy to think that all that needs to be said is that it was an accident. Why not really do an investigation? What is so hard about it? The more I read and research, the more I find where the supposed investigation doesn't answer any questions. How many more times does something like this need to happen? To the family of that young man, my thoughts and prayers are with you and may your family receive the answers that mine did not.

Edited by mickeyluvsmom

The more I read and research, the more I find where the supposed investigation doesn't answer any questions. How many more times does something like this need to happen? To the family of that young man, my thoughts and prayers are with you and may your family receive the answers that mine did not.

Time for the embassies to put pressure on the government and local police to come up with real answers for these people.

I feel real badly for mickeylovesmom and his family and friends as it seems Ebony was not only beautiful on the outside but inside too. For this latest young brit, I'm sure he was a good guy also.

Problem is,the authorities here just don't care about these cases. What's in it for them?

How to change this?

• 3 weeks later...

Joe was my brother in law and I can confirm that this death is 100% suspicious. Joe had only been in Phuket a few hours and had not even unpacked his suitcase. Joe and his friend lost each other in a bar and his friend went back to hotel- the first his friend knew of the death was when we called him in the UK.

We have been told he fell however the coroner disagrees as he dies of only a head injury and does not have one broken bone in his body. His parents were shown a derelict building as to where it happened and every story that was been told is completely ridiculous and contradictory - from running, to climbing, people chasing, people not how was he found? His shoes and wallet have never been found. Joe did not drink much and they refused to drug test him saying they can only test for sleeping pills.

Joe was not found in his underwear either the family were told that the newspapers quoted this as they would have seen him in the ambulance.

Just to confirm Joe was only 19 and was on the trip of a lifetime and was definately not in any way suicidal.

The family are completely broken we have lost the most talented,funny, and amazing person and our lives will never be the same. This is a complete cover up and if anyone can help in anyway the family would be eternally grateful

post-72500-1228484494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anonlau

Joe was my brother in law and I can confirm that this death is 100% suspicious. Joe had only been in Phuket a few hours and had not even unpacked his suitcase. Joe and his friend lost each other in a bar and his friend went back to hotel- the first his friend knew of the death was when we called him in the UK.

We have been told he fell however the coroner disagrees as he dies of only a head injury and does not have one broken bone in his body. His parents were shown a derelict building as to where it happened and every story that was been told is completely ridiculous and contradictory - from running, to climbing, people chasing, people not how was he found? His shoes and wallet have never been found. Joe did not drink much and they refused to drug test him saying they can only test for sleeping pills.

Joe was not found in his underwear either the family were told that the newspapers quoted this as they would have seen him in the ambulance.

Just to confirm Joe was only 19 and was on the trip of a lifetime and was definately not in any way suicidal.

The family are completely broken we have lost the most talented,funny, and amazing person and our lives will never be the same. This is a complete cover up and if anyone can help in anyway the family would be eternally grateful

My deepest sympathy to everyone who knew Joe.

I truly hope you find out the truth and achieve justice and closure.

What a senseless tragedy

We have been told he fell however the coroner disagrees as he dies of only a head injury and does not have one broken bone in his body...

Very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, it is unlikely you will ever discover what really happened as the police have no incentive to investigate unless the story hits the international news media. Thailand is not a safe place for single people unless they are experienced travellers or stick to well lit, busy tourist areas.

RIP Joe.

Well may I suggest you get the British Embassy to make representations to the Thai authorities to come up with answers and also get some national newspapers/investigative journalists etc in England or Thailand to be involved.

Hopefully there may be some influential and knowledgeable people living in Phuket who can also get on board in finding the truth of what happened and assisting.

If you have resources available perhaps asking some private detectives to try to discover what really happened.