BANGKOK 23 May 2019 16:23
Sign in to follow this  
JetsetBkk

Young Brit Dies In Mystery Fall

I read the thread and observe it to be all speculation. BG this, LB that. I'd prefer more substantive info than the product of men juiced up on tabloid news. 18 year old boys don't have to pay for anything. Party yes, but until then, I'm going to stick to my belief that it was a tired over enthused kid that drank too much. Sorry, but I have done similar things as have my friends at that age, so maybe I'm projecting. I hope his friend gets some support as its a heavy memory to carry.

This is an interesting situation, reminds us all that Thailand can be a pretty violent place.

First, I find it curious he was found in his underwear. Wouldn't he have been changing his clothes at the resort he was staying at?

This is where I part ways with Geriatricked's conclusion, if the deceased was drunk and climbing the building wouldn't he have still had his clothes on?

The location: Notorious, and I won't go any further as my last conclusion was deleted.

RIP, and sorry to all family and friends who knew this chap.

I read the thread and observe it to be all speculation. BG this, LB that. I'd prefer more substantive info than the product of men juiced up on tabloid news. 18 year old boys don't have to pay for anything. Party yes, but until then, I'm going to stick to my belief that it was a tired over enthused kid that drank too much. Sorry, but I have done similar things as have my friends at that age, so maybe I'm projecting. I hope his friend gets some support as its a heavy memory to carry.

It's you who is speculating, even though you claim not too. Maybe 'projecting' is something else.

You seem to be missing the point of my own and others concern...

The lack of, information, investigation, news, the lack of interest.

It's very sad.

My comment was in respect to the teak thread referenced.

Make no mistake, I am in full agreement with your view on "The lack of, information, investigation, news, the lack of interest." I would take it one step further that the inability of the police authorities to ever provide a coherent statement at the outset of an event followed by a transparent investigation combined with tabloid style reporting and one never gets the full story.

My concern was that here's a kid that's lost his life and before anyone knows what happened for sure, there are folks assuming he was off on some gender bender. I think he's entitled to retain his dignity and some measure of privacy for his personal life.

The story in the Gazette has now been expanded in detail:

Young Brit dies in mystery fall

PATONG: A young English tourist mysteriously fell from a building in Patong early Monday evening and died en route to hospital.

Kathu Police Superintendent Col Grissak Songmoonnark identified the deceased from his passport as UK national Joseph John Nason, age 22.

Mr Nason and a friend, aged 19, had just arrived in Phuket on a flight from Bangkok and were staying at the Deevana Patong Resort & Spa on Rat -U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, he said.

The critically-injured Mr Nason was discovered lying unconscious in front of a derelict three-story shophouse on a soi off Rat-U-Thit 200 Pee Rd at about 2 am.

He was rushed to Patong Hospital, but died on the way.

Mr Nason’s friend was shocked when he learned of his friend’s death. He said they had gone out on the town that night and split up at about midnight.

He had no idea how Mr Nason ended up in the area where the tragedy occurred, which is a densely populated neighborhood not far from the Montana Grand Phuket hotel.

Police say Mr Nason was seen running though the area before his fall, though there were no reports that anybody was chasing him at the time.

He climbed into the derelict building and lost his footing on the first or second floor, falling to the ground and hitting his head on a metal support bar.

The full story can be found here: http://www.phuketgazette.net/articles/article6892.html

(The original link I posted no longer works.)

The new story makes no reference to him being dressed only in his underwear.

I just find it so hard to believe that more people aren't asking questions about this. I agree with Huggy. I don't think he is fighting a losing battle at all. More needs to be done. It seems like the attitude is TIT as in "this is Thailand". Well, maybe it is time for change. The marine that was referenced that died from a "fall" was my friend and I love her. I for one, think that it is crazy to think that all that needs to be said is that it was an accident. Why not really do an investigation? What is so hard about it? The more I read and research, the more I find where the supposed investigation doesn't answer any questions. How many more times does something like this need to happen? To the family of that young man, my thoughts and prayers are with you and may your family receive the answers that mine did not.

Edited by mickeyluvsmom

The more I read and research, the more I find where the supposed investigation doesn't answer any questions. How many more times does something like this need to happen? To the family of that young man, my thoughts and prayers are with you and may your family receive the answers that mine did not.

Time for the embassies to put pressure on the government and local police to come up with real answers for these people.

I feel real badly for mickeylovesmom and his family and friends as it seems Ebony was not only beautiful on the outside but inside too. For this latest young brit, I'm sure he was a good guy also.

Problem is,the authorities here just don't care about these cases. What's in it for them?

How to change this?

Joe was my brother in law and I can confirm that this death is 100% suspicious. Joe had only been in Phuket a few hours and had not even unpacked his suitcase. Joe and his friend lost each other in a bar and his friend went back to hotel- the first his friend knew of the death was when we called him in the UK.

We have been told he fell however the coroner disagrees as he dies of only a head injury and does not have one broken bone in his body. His parents were shown a derelict building as to where it happened and every story that was been told is completely ridiculous and contradictory - from running, to climbing, people chasing, people not how was he found? His shoes and wallet have never been found. Joe did not drink much and they refused to drug test him saying they can only test for sleeping pills.

Joe was not found in his underwear either the family were told that the newspapers quoted this as they would have seen him in the ambulance.

Just to confirm Joe was only 19 and was on the trip of a lifetime and was definately not in any way suicidal.

The family are completely broken we have lost the most talented,funny, and amazing person and our lives will never be the same. This is a complete cover up and if anyone can help in anyway the family would be eternally grateful

post-72500-1228484494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anonlau

Happens too often and same conclusion occurs - nothing is ever resolved. BIB are incompetent and can't find their way out of a paper bag. I wish I could be more confident justice would be achieved, but from past cases nothing ever is.

RIP! :o

Joe was my brother in law and I can confirm that this death is 100% suspicious. Joe had only been in Phuket a few hours and had not even unpacked his suitcase. Joe and his friend lost each other in a bar and his friend went back to hotel- the first his friend knew of the death was when we called him in the UK.

We have been told he fell however the coroner disagrees as he dies of only a head injury and does not have one broken bone in his body. His parents were shown a derelict building as to where it happened and every story that was been told is completely ridiculous and contradictory - from running, to climbing, people chasing, people not how was he found? His shoes and wallet have never been found. Joe did not drink much and they refused to drug test him saying they can only test for sleeping pills.

Joe was not found in his underwear either the family were told that the newspapers quoted this as they would have seen him in the ambulance.

Just to confirm Joe was only 19 and was on the trip of a lifetime and was definately not in any way suicidal.

The family are completely broken we have lost the most talented,funny, and amazing person and our lives will never be the same. This is a complete cover up and if anyone can help in anyway the family would be eternally grateful

My deepest sympathy to everyone who knew Joe.

I truly hope you find out the truth and achieve justice and closure.

What a senseless tragedy

We have been told he fell however the coroner disagrees as he dies of only a head injury and does not have one broken bone in his body...

Very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, it is unlikely you will ever discover what really happened as the police have no incentive to investigate unless the story hits the international news media. Thailand is not a safe place for single people unless they are experienced travellers or stick to well lit, busy tourist areas.

RIP Joe.

Well may I suggest you get the British Embassy to make representations to the Thai authorities to come up with answers and also get some national newspapers/investigative journalists etc in England or Thailand to be involved.

Hopefully there may be some influential and knowledgeable people living in Phuket who can also get on board in finding the truth of what happened and assisting.

If you have resources available perhaps asking some private detectives to try to discover what really happened.

Thankyou for advice - I am speaking to newspapers, forums and my local MP to try and raise awareness and get an investigation

Thank you for advice Re embassy I will pass it onto Joes parents but I dont think they are able to do much from what I have been told and on their website it says they dont deal with criminal investigations