Housing Hunting-udon

rito

Hi all,

I'm married to a TG with child. Family recently moved from US to Udon. I will follow in about 2 years. Decided to settle in Udon, being that is where my wife is from and I've visited off and on since 93. Anyway, I have some questions about the new developments going up in and around Udon eg First Home, PK Tahni. Had the opportunity to see a few townhouses at different locations. Was impressed and are considering buying at PK Thani. Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these developments-buyers beware tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Rito

Hi all,

I'm married to a TG with child.  Family recently moved from US to Udon.  I will follow in about 2 years.  Decided to settle in Udon, being that is where my wife is from and I've visited off and on since 93.  Anyway, I have some questions about the new developments going up in and around Udon eg First Home, PK Tahni.  Had the opportunity to see a few townhouses at different locations.  Was impressed and are considering buying at PK Thani.  Has anyone heard anything good or bad about these developments-buyers beware tips appreciated. 

Thanks in advance, Rito

Well I can say that if you choose to build you have to be very careful, my recent experience now ha me involved in litigation, with no gaurentee as to how the Thai courts will react to the contract signed.

My suggestion would be to check the local banks there are a ton of repos available. My thoughts in building was that I could have it my way, even if it wa a bit more expensive. I was dead wrong.

More then likely any house you get here your going to have to change to your needs whether you rent or buy. So with that thouugh in mind find a place that has the basics you like and then remodle. Altough I had nothing but problems with the contractor. The workman that I have hired for the small jobs I wanted to have done have been just great.

If you plan on buying in Udon make sure you check the flood areas it can be a real problem, when you looking at house in Udon it is beast that it raised considerably. Look fr the water mark about four yrears agot there wa a huge flood in this area and many houses still have the water marks on the outside wall if will give you a good idea.

You need to know what the water supply is like in the area, a good indicator is how many water storage tanks do you see in the area.

Phone service: Make sure there is an existing phone line to any house you want, if enjoy the internet at home. Otherwise the cell phones are just fine.

Electricity generally is good in the area, but there are some interruptions, you would want to have a surge protector on computer equipment.

Depending on how quiet you want things a place off the main drag is a good idea.

If you find an area that like let your wife do the exploring until prices are set. The conform if you want he place. Your bright shinning face will definetly drive the price up.

There are many developments in progress in the Udon area featuring single family homes from 790,000 Baht up. Well worth checking out.

There are lots of farrangs who live here full time and you can find just about anyhting you want within the city limits. Some shopping may require a day trip to Bangkok, but it is rare.

Hope this helps

Appreciate the advise Ray,

I thought about building, but seems like too many pitfalls. Not something I want to rush into, especially since I won't be around (permanently) for another couple years. While there (last month) we looked around quite a few properties and settled on the development or estate properties. Although, I didn't consider the other factors you mentioned-elect, water supply and more importantly a lawyer. Definitely, something I'll have to take a closer at.

I thought about building, but seems like too many pitfalls.  Not something I want to rush into, especially since I won't be around (permanently) for another couple years.  While there (last month) we looked around quite a few properties and settled on the development or estate properties.  Although, I didn't consider the other factors you mentioned-elect, water supply and more importantly a lawyer.  Definitely, something I'll have to take a closer at.

Thanks  :o

I will never build a house again, dream that turned into nighmare. Actually the thought of the attorney was for building a house, but for $75.00 for a contract review, it may not be a bad idea in any event.

Good luck you will love UDon

I will never build a house again, dream that turned into nighmare. Actually the thought of the attorney was for building a house, but for $75.00 for a contract review, it may not be a bad idea in any event.

I agree, $75 is worth to avoid any hassels. Any recommendations for a Udon based lawyer?

Also, I have a basic idea how the water storage tanks are used, are they also used when the house has city water piped in.

I agree, $75 is worth to avoid any hassels. Any recommendations for a Udon based lawyer?

Also, I have a basic idea how the water storage tanks are used, are they also used when the house has city water piped in.

I've got a lawyer in Udon, but he is new to me, lets see how he does before I recommend him.

Yes the wather storage tank is a good idea even with city water, at the moment the house that we are renting is on City water they have been working on the mains for months, hence long periods of the day no water. The systen will probably be better after they are finished but things don't happen in a hurry here. You should also consider a booster pump with your system, since water pressure is usually lacking they will run about 5,000 Baht

Yes the wather storage tank is a good idea even with city water, at the moment the house that we are renting is on City water they have been working on the mains for months, hence long periods of the day no water. The systen will probably be better after they are finished but things don't happen in a hurry here. You should also consider a booster pump with your system, since water pressure is usually lacking they will run about 5,000 Baht

All good info, thanks. The house we have our eye won't be ready until Jan/Feb. But I would appreciate it if you let me know how goes with your lawyer. We're also, waiting on approval from the bank. 99.9% it's going to go through, so my wife says. Good luck with everything, hope it goes in your favor :o

Rito