Dodgey Stamps

From Baron Bonks Asia Bugle...... Dec.

A guy who went for a quick visa run to the Cambodian border had a nasty surprise. He had been in and out of the country regularly and never had a problem. But out of the blue an immigration official found a dodgy stamp: well that is their opinion. This stamp goes back a number of years but suddenly it became a big issue. The guy was put into jail and bail (of 200K) was refused. He must go to court. But he is now expected to have to wait in jail for up to 45 days before the court case.

So if you have any potentially dodgy stamps in your passport: change it! Lose it (stolen by a katoey outside on Sukhumvit: making the point that you never carried your passport until recent crackdowns!). Or a washing machine is not a bad option, as long as you have a few photo copies: just wash out all the stamps and make certain the photo is there plus the number!

Have you got a dud stamp? :o

A guy who went for a quick visa run to the Cambodian border had a nasty surprise. He had been in and out of the country regularly and never had a problem. But out of the blue an immigration official found a dodgy stamp: well that is their opinion. This stamp goes back a number of years but suddenly it became a big issue. The guy was put into jail and bail (of 200K) was refused. He must go to court. But he is now expected to have to wait in jail for up to 45 days before the court case.

So if you have any potentially dodgy stamps in your passport: change it! Lose it (stolen by a katoey outside on Sukhumvit: making the point that you never carried your passport until recent crackdowns!). Or a washing machine is not a bad option, as long as you have a few photo copies: just wash out all the stamps and make certain the photo is there plus the number!

Have you got a dud stamp? :D

There's bound to be many still about :o

Have you got a dud stamp? :o

:o

Have you got a dud stamp? :D

Dud stamps, I don't believe it. Are some people making their own (counterfeit)stamps now :D ??? I believe in making a quid or two but some people are down right <deleted> :D

It's not just a case of a dodgy back room stamp.

If your passport leaves the country, without you, it's illegal anywhere in the world. (I'm sure there are exceptions - but they wouldn't generally apply to the vast majority of people here).

I agree with the Dr. that there may still be some questionable visas knocking around.

Problem with losing your PP in a place like Thailand, which is a centre for PP fraud, is that you get a black mark against your name with your own government.

Aussie government is increasingly worried that people are 'losing' their PP's a little too often. Lost it once, OK, but twice within a short space of time, they have it within their power to only issue a short validity passport, only valid long enough so you can travel home.

Problem with losing your PP in a place like Thailand, which is a centre for PP fraud, is that you get a black mark against your name with your own government.

Aussie government is increasingly worried that people are 'losing' their PP's a little too often. Lost it once, OK,  but twice within a short space of time, they have it within their power to only issue a short validity passport, only valid long enough so you can travel home.

Noted: maybe half a teaspoon of coffee on the offending stamp or page may suffice! :o

You'll also get a black mark with the Thai immigration even if you get two new PP's within the space of about 5 years.

I had one stolen out of my back pocket that got slit with a razor blade.

About 5 years later I claimed for a new one from Brit Embassy that I thought I had lost but later found in a deep pocket of a jacket.

I had my name blacklisted in the Thai immigration computers for years. I was always getting pulled into the office every time I arrived and departed Thailand.

people have been saying for 15 months now to wash or lose their passport. i refuse to  recommend it

Is getting banged up and deported a better option for you ?

Oh you are so right, Dr Pong; I must be terrified of getting banged up and deported so I will just take my govt issue passport and lose it then run to police and lie that it was stolen. I dont need to worry about black marks against me by my country or thailand cause you said it was the right thing to do. thank you for your expertise in this matter

You'll also get a black mark with the Thai immigration even if you get two new PP's within the space of about 5 years.

Now this does not really make sense to me. I get a new passport in a busy year every 6 - 8 months. Why should the immigration give me a black mark. It is not my fault that they and their colleagues abroad are so 'stamp-happy'.

But if somebody has a dodgy stamp, even of 2-3 years ago, sound advice, change your p/port and if necessary wash it.

After all the arrest made last year it is too risky to have such a stamp.

Now this does not really make sense to me. I get a new passport in a busy year every 6 - 8 months. Why should the immigration give me a black mark. It is not my fault that they and their colleagues abroad are so 'stamp-happy'.

But if somebody has a dodgy stamp, even of 2-3 years ago, sound advice, change your p/port and if necessary wash it.

I was in immigration today and it is clearly marked that individuals with those shiny brand spanking new passports (oh theres a bunch of them) are to report to a specified room upstairs. Those folks will then get there red flags to travel with. I'll keep my beat up old piece of junk with over 100 stamps thank you

Guess, we are talking about different subjects.

The OP is referrring to dodgey stamps. Inother words a stamp you might have obtained years ago by using a visa-service without yourself having left the country. IF you have this, wash it.

If you are clean, no problem. With hundreds of stamps sooner or later you have to replace your p/port, as no more space.

I was in immigration today and it is clearly marked that individuals with those shiny brand spanking new passports (oh theres a bunch of them) are to report to a specified room upstairs. Those folks will then get there red flags to travel with. I'll keep my beat up old piece of junk with over 100 stamps thank you

Whatever floats your boat.

Guess, we are talking about different subjects.

The OP is referrring to dodgey stamps. Inother words a stamp you might have obtained years ago by using a visa-service without yourself having left the country. IF you have this, wash it.

If you are clean, no problem. With hundreds of stamps sooner or later you have to replace your p/port, as no more space.

Ohhhhh but then you'll get one of those new shiny ones and you will be in deep do do. :o

As long as you wash it with the proper shampoo and a glossy conditioner :D

Now, dead serious. Udon as OP is talking about dodgy stamps. I myself am sure, I do not have any. If anybody got one in the past, change your p/port, black mark or whatever...

You don't lose your p/port every week, once in a lifetime is no reason for a black mark.

If you have to go to a special room (never heard about but might be so) than just go. They want to know why, explain you lost it (the passport I mean :o ) and that's it.

For the future make sure you have no dodgy, I mean illegal, stamps.

As long as you wash it with the proper shampoo and a glossy conditioner  :D

Now, dead serious. Udon as OP is talking about dodgy stamps. I myself am sure, I do not have any. If anybody got one in the past, change your p/port, black mark or whatever...

You don't lose your p/port every week, once in a lifetime is no reason for a black mark.

If you have to go to a special room (never heard about but might be so) than just go. They want to know why, explain you lost it (the passport I mean :o ) and that's it.

For the future make sure you have no dodgy, I mean illegal, stamps.

Axel,

I don't think that frequent travellers like you are the ones who get black listed either by your home govt and Thai Immigration. You are legit, all your stamps are legit, and at the end of the day you have all your old PP's to prove your case.

The OP is talking about passports with dodgy stamps, which then go walkabout. So if you go down to immigration to transfer your stamps, with an old and new passport, they won't care. But if you go down with a new passport only, immigration will raise an eyebrow, especially if it happens often.

As long as you wash it with the proper shampoo and a glossy conditioner  :o

Listen up!For those of you who wash your passport,it then becomes a damaged passport and can be deemed invalid and you will have to change it anyway!!I do recall a time back when the govt put out a grace period for those ,who used the dodgy services of passport runners could actually go to the police and be coverd under some kind of amnesty or something like .Am I wrong? And If right?what were you thinking?

The two new passports I'm refering to are the ones that replaced the passports that I reported as lost, as mentioned in my post.

Sorry for any confusion. :o

Thanks guys, I hear you loud and clear.

OK, monochaser Posted

Yesterday, 2004-12-08 19:18:24

...I'll keep my beat up old piece of junk with over 100 stamps thank you

Here I do not see any need. Sooner or later the p/port will be full. If no illegal stamps in just get a new and shiny one. No problems at all.

IF you have a dodgy stamp, do it once, i.e. wash it and report to your embassy.

Get a new one, nice and shiny. Go to the immigration, perhaps a photocopy of the previous last record will help and get your permission to stay tansferred to the new one. A bit of extra work, but afterwards you are clear.

Should somebody interview you, yes just explain that the old one got damaged and is unreadable.

Of course, do this not all the time, ONCE is the word to solve the problem, i.e do get rid of a dogy stamp and than make sure in future all stamps are legal.

For example: there were some dodgy stamps supposedly issued in Houston.  Not mine, though.  Every once in a while in Thailand, I get some close looks at my passport because it has two Houston stamps.  But they're real, and they haven't questioned it yet.

Houston stamps are all real, but they deal or used to deal with the shady visa agents which is why their stamps are looked at by immigration.