Best Guitar Store In Chiang Mai?

Drew Aitch

Hi folks.

I’ve seen a number of smallish guitar shops and music units around the city, but can anyone recommend a ‘best of the best’ guitar store here that sells quality acoustics and semi acoustics, both new and used? I’m particularly interested to find guitars which are made in the USA and not just their cheaper Made in Asia options.

Thanks in advance :o

Aitch

Hi folks.

I’ve seen a number of smallish guitar shops and music units around the city, but can anyone recommend a ‘best of the best’ guitar store here that sells quality acoustics and semi acoustics, both new and used? I’m particularly interested to find guitars which are made in the USA and not just their cheaper Made in Asia options.

Thanks in advance :o

Aitch

South from the Night Bazarr on Changklan Road, about 10-12 blocks. East side of the street on the corner. Opposite a Honda bike dealership. They carry Martin's, Guild, Gibson, Taylor, Washburn, etc., and do excellent repair/customizing work at great prices. :D

South from the Night Bazarr on Changklan Road, about 10-12 blocks. East side of the street on the corner. Opposite a Honda bike dealership. They carry Martin's, Guild, Gibson, Taylor, Washburn, etc., and do excellent repair/customizing work at great prices. :D

That's great FolkGuitar, thanks very much :o

Aitch

Just returned from the above store, and a few others, but all the CM guitar shops seem to only carry 2 or 3 from each brand, and so it's a bit hit and miss as to whether the model you're interested in is among them. Of course, they can order most models, but unless you've held and played a particular guitar before, it's really not a good idea to make a purchase based on reviews alone.

There may be more places to try, so if anyone can think of any, that would be appreciated. So far, i've been to the one on Changklan Road, and 2 guitars stores i found around the moat, one along the Tape Stretch and the other along Chang Puak. Oh yeah, and the little unit on the 4th floor of Central Kad Suan Kaew.

I really want to find and try the Exotic Wood range of semi acoustics from Ibanez, and in particular the Ibanez EW20 ASE here

Aitch

the most high end store in town used to be on the road where suriwong book center is - but closer to the moat on the north side. they seemed a bit arrogant though - probably sick of people coming in and not buying anything. also tried to scam a friend of mine. now they're gone, but may have moved somewhere. not exactly a glowing review, i know, but i don't think there's hardly anyone in town that sells quality imported guitars, but i could be wrong.

what model are you looking for, out of curiosity?

Hi Ollylama

The one I'm most interested in is the Ibanez EW20ASE Exotic Wood Figured Ash Cutaway Acoustic-Electric (see link above). I've got a 15 year old Ibanez jumbo acoustic right now, and it's been dropped loads of times, the head even snapped off once! It's been painted and stripped back down to the wood, and suffered all kinds of climates. Yet this inexpensive acoustic still sounds just great :D I'm open to other models if i can find something similar, but it's been my experience that Ibanez are perhaps the best sounding value for money guitars ever to hit the high street. In my opinion :o

Cheers

Aitch

Music Collection, on the superhighway between Tesco & Kuang Sing intersection, has some nice guitars, though I don't remember seeing any Ibanez there. You could also check the shop in Airport Plaza, 3rd floor.

Thanks cm das, i'll give them a look :o

Aitch

Maybe better you have a jump to BKK for a larger choice... if you are demanding.

You know, CNX is not a hudge western city and its inhabitants are very happy to play on a 2 or 4 KB acoustic guitar. It's near half one month of earning for them and that's a lot. They don't even think that one day they could play on a "high brand" guitar... They dream of this, maybe, but better to play now, be happy and enjoy.

So, you have to understand what is the market and then what you can find in stores here!

I too enjoy to play on Ibanez (though I have some 2 or 4 KB ones too). So as I know what I want, I order. And some days later I get it, no problem. As you know what you want why not to order?

About your first OP here: are Ibanez guitars made in USA? :o

If I'm right, they are made in Asia, no!?

Gobs

I wish my instrument was the price of an Ibanez guitar. A couple of weeks ago I went to a local store to inquire the price for the Roland TD-20K electronic drumset. It was quoted at a whopping 250,000 THB which is roughly 20% above US retail price. I guess I have to save a bit longer for that, or go for its lower-spec cousin, the TD-12 kit, which is "only" 150,000 THB. All that while the Euro is falling. :o

Cheers, CMX

Hi Gobs and thanks for your response.

There are actually some high end brand name guitars here in CM, but as i say, the choices are few. I believe that Ibanez is actually a Japanese brand and produced in various places around Asia. In my OP i was wanting to try out some of the various American made acoustics as my decision was not yet made. But then the more i thought about it, the more i decided Ibanez was perhaps the best value for money acoustic around right now, especially as i have one that's still bright and tight after 15 years.

So as I know what I want, I order. And some days later I get it, no problem. As you know what you want why not to order?

Yes, i am considering that, and i know the Ibanez i want is going to be pretty decent, but even still, i would really like to hold and play any instrument before making a purchase. Maybe a trip down to Bkk is calling, but i still have to make sure i can find a store that has an Ibanez EW20ASE in stock before making the journey, and this has been my problem hence the post here and a more nationwide forum.

CMX, i might be wrong, but if you're looking for a electronic drumset one would assume you play music on a professional or semi professional level? I don't know too many folks who have a drum set at home as a solo hobby. If your music makes you money, then the price of your equipment is all relative and should be paid for out of your earnings. Otherwise, it's biscuit tins and pencils for you until such times as you HIT it big :o

Cheers all

Aitch

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any of you guys/gals interested in jamming/learning songs together? I'm in Fa Ham, Chiang Mai, so if interested and within striking distance let me know

I'm interested in jamming. I am an experienced player but I'm only in Chaing Mai through Monday, so let me know. Also, I am not traveling with a guitar.

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys, There are two good guitar shops in Chiang Mai, they are both in Chang Klan Road near the 7/11 at the road to Chaing Mai Land swiming pool.

one is the shop that was located near the old moat you spoke about and said the owner was a bit abrupt. He is really Ok, I have been in and out of his shop for over four years and have spent very little with him and he has been very good, I would say..

His shop is the Fender and Gibson agency for Northern Thailand and has quite a large stock of quality guitars.elecric and accoustic.. ask to look upstairs.

The other shop is about 200 meters further away from that shop on the same side of the road in Chang Klan Rd nearer to the Park Hotel, its called Maximum Sound ( they have a website, but its in Thai www. mxmsound . com ) the owner is a good guy, young Thai and into music, he plays a 1990's Gibson Studio himself, they have the lesser of the better guitars and cater for students and younger players.. He will get in anything that available, and his prices are discounted. He also has a recording studio for hire complete with everything you need for a high class recording.. and some good session musicians available to back you up if required.

another is Pol Music guitar shop and practice rooms upstairs ( near The Chedi )

There are a number of other small shops, I have been in almost all of them over the past few years.

There are also some small practice rooms in Chiang Mai, complete with equipment.. hire rates from 180 BHT per Hour.

if you like listening to live music combined with good Thai food, or just a drink, you could try The Riverside as a start...the Riverside has two resturants one on each side of the road accross from the Flower Market over the Ping River. the smaller on the river and a larger just accross the road and stay long enough to take in two bands, they change bands every hour or so.

Happy Playing

Lomax

Thanks for the great info.

Hi Guys, There are two good guitar shops in Chiang Mai, they are both in Chang Klan Road near the 7/11 at the road to Chaing Mai Land swiming pool.

one is the shop that was located near the old moat you spoke about and said the owner was a bit abrupt. He is really Ok, I have been in and out of his shop for over four years and have spent very little with him and he has been very good, I would say..

His shop is the Fender and Gibson agency for Northern Thailand and has quite a large stock of quality guitars.elecric and accoustic.. ask to look upstairs.

The other shop is about 200 meters further away from that shop on the same side of the road in Chang Klan Rd nearer to the Park Hotel, its called Maximum Sound ( they have a website, but its in Thai www. mxmsound . com ) the owner is a good guy, young Thai and into music, he plays a 1990's Gibson Studio himself, they have the lesser of the better guitars and cater for students and younger players.. He will get in anything that available, and his prices are discounted. He also has a recording studio for hire complete with everything you need for a high class recording.. and some good session musicians available to back you up if required.

another is Pol Music guitar shop and practice rooms upstairs ( near The Chedi )

There are a number of other small shops, I have been in almost all of them over the past few years.

There are also some small practice rooms in Chiang Mai, complete with equipment.. hire rates from 180 BHT per Hour.

if you like listening to live music combined with good Thai food, or just a drink, you could try The Riverside as a start...the Riverside has two resturants one on each side of the road accross from the Flower Market over the Ping River. the smaller on the river and a larger just accross the road and stay long enough to take in two bands, they change bands every hour or so.

Happy Playing

Lomax

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I'm curious (from those of you that do have them here in Thailand) to know what effect the humidity and tropical weather might have on a good quality acoustic guitar. I considered bringing a guitar here from home, but was worried that the tropical climate might ruin it over time.

That one is called Musical Instrument Workshop.

• 1 year later...

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I'm curious (from those of you that do have them here in Thailand) to know what effect the humidity and tropical weather might have on a good quality acoustic guitar. I considered bringing a guitar here from home, but was worried that the tropical climate might ruin it over time.

Where are you bringing it from? Cooler to colder temperate climates are way harder on any wooden instrument, from pianos to guitars...from the heat of trying to keep ones buns from freezing off during the winter! The usually dry heat associated with heating systems in a house dries the wood out. There is enough humidity here in Thailand to make any guitar smile. I brought 11 of them over and they love it here :lol:. Pick and grin on.....ett

Where are you bringing it from? Cooler to colder temperate climates are way harder on any wooden instrument, from pianos to guitars...from the heat of trying to keep ones buns from freezing off during the winter! The usually dry heat associated with heating systems in a house dries the wood out. There is enough humidity here in Thailand to make any guitar smile. I brought 11 of them over and they love it here :lol:. Pick and grin on.....ett

wow you brought 11 over! I sold 11 before I came over :-) the one I brought over is an Ibanez George Benson 10, small jazz electric acoustic archtop, and it hasn't suffered any problems at all living in cold western europe, very hot and sometimes humid middle east, hot and humid thailand. It retails in europe for about 2,500 euros I think. I bought a similar Futura brand guitar for 5,000 baht from one of the general stores on the north east corner of the moat. It plays as good as the Ibanez and my 70s Gibson Les Paul custom, just needs better tuners. Happy plucking :-)

Also not wanting to derail this thread, but I have a question on a related topic.

I'm thinking about buying a guitar for my wife for Christmas, and am wondering if there's a difference in guitar size for men and women. She's about 160 cm--could this be a factor in which guitar I buy? Excuse my ignorance, but I really have no idea.

Thanks.

:)

Also not wanting to derail this thread, but I have a question on a related topic.

I'm thinking about buying a guitar for my wife for Christmas, and am wondering if there's a difference in guitar size for men and women. She's about 160 cm--could this be a factor in which guitar I buy? Excuse my ignorance, but I really have no idea.

Thanks.

There are different sizes for adults and children, for not for men and women. However some 'adult' guitars are bigger than others, so best to tell the store it's for your wife.

[quote

Thanks.

Some women prefer the softer nylon strings although the necks are bigger.....here the Ukes have become very popular and a decent baritone uke can be quite pleasant and a little easier to play with soft strings and only 4 strings....other than that a 3/4 size folk guitar may be best to start on....

• 4 weeks later...