Govt To Slap Controls On Noisy Nightclubs

george

Govt to slap controls on noisy nightclubs

BANGKOK: -- The Pollution Control Department today promised to take action against nightclubs and discotheques, following a speech by His Majesty the King expressing concern for the aural health of Thailand's youths.

Mr. Apichai Chvajarernpun, the department's director-general, said that he had discussed the issue of nightclub noise pollution with the deputy head of the Metropolitan Police and representatives from the Air Quality and Noise Management Bureau, and that next week the department and police would launch an inspection of nightclubs across Bangkok.

However, he conceded that current legislation could not force nightclubs to reduce their decibel levels, saying that nightclubs would initially merely be given requests to cooperate with the authorities.

He also admitted that rising vehicle levels on the nation's roads were contributing to a growing problem of roadside noise pollution, but expressed hope that the expansion of public transport networks would help solve this problem.

-- TNA 2004-12-07

I wondered how soon it would be before some one jumped in on this one. Let's hope some thinking is done before the legislation is put in place. Or is there the possiblity that bars and nightclubs might be closing at 10pm to help reduce noise pollution? I wouldn't put it past them, any excuse for more nannying.

BANGKOK: --  The Pollution Control Department today promised to take action against nightclubs and discotheques, following a speech by His Majesty the King expressing concern for the aural health of Thailand's youths.

Mr. Apichai Chvajarernpun, the department's director-general, said that he had discussed the issue of nightclub noise pollution with the deputy head of the Metropolitan Police and representatives from the Air Quality and Noise Management Bureau, and that next week the department and police would launch an inspection of nightclubs across Bangkok.

They need to get tough on cinemas too. I survived years of watching bands like Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep in small nightclubs, only to have my hearing damaged in a Petchaburi Road theatre.

They need to get tough on cinemas too. I survived years of watching bands like Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep in small nightclubs, only to have my hearing damaged in a Petchaburi Road theatre

and supermarkets (Carrefours)

and shopping malls

and outdoor markets.

Can anyone honestly find a quiet spot in Bangkok?

.............only to have my hearing damaged in a Petchaburi Road theatre.

Is that you... in your avatar?

t3xav8384.jpg

You appear to saying "Pardon?"

Snappy dresser, aren't I? But don't laugh... it really was the right ear that was screwed up! The movie was Sam Pekinpah's Cross of Iron.

BANGKOK: --  The Pollution Control Department today promised to take action against nightclubs and discotheques, following a speech by His Majesty the King expressing concern for the aural health of Thailand's youths.

However, he conceded that current legislation could not force nightclubs to reduce their decibel levels, saying that nightclubs would initially merely be given requests to cooperate with the authorities.

He also admitted that rising vehicle levels on the nation's roads were contributing to a growing problem of roadside noise pollution, but expressed hope that the expansion of public transport networks would help solve this problem.

-- TNA 2004-12-07

I hope they can also address the unhealthy sound levels that residents of Pattaya have to cope with daily. Finding a quiet place to live is getting increasingly more difficult. :o

I hope they can also address the unhealthy sound levels that residents of Pattaya have to cope with daily. Finding a quiet place to live is getting increasingly more difficult. :D

You wanted a quiet place to live... so you went to..... PATTAYA?

:o:D:D

You would think reading the news that the only ongoing problem the government ever had was regarding night entertainment places and alcohol... all the other problems get "solved" periodically with various "crackdowns" and "deadlines"- traffic, terrorism, drugs, etc., etc.

With the nightclubs being responsible for all of the problems of Thailand (foreigners, drugs, noise, immoral young people, teen pregnancy, etc.) you'd think that if 2+2=4 they would close the places and all those problems would disappear... :D:D:D:D but then instead of little holes in the wall to do their "exposes" and photo-ops, they'd have to go fix some of the big, hard problems instead... poor nightclubs... :D:D:o

"Steven"

Real snappy!  :o  :D Glad you took the joke the way it was meant :D Is your hearing permanently damaged, or did it get better?

It's permanent. With tinnitus, the hearing loss (for me at least) is not really noticeable. The problem is the constant ringing in the ear, discomfort with loud noise and intermittent buzzing. William Shatner got it so bad from explosions on the set of Star Trek that he has to wear a device is his ear that creates white noise. I find that the sound of airconditioning or a CD of ocean surf is enough to drown out the weird noises. But I wouldn't want young kids to have to put up with this. You don't appreciate silence until you've lost it.

\ But I wouldn't want young kids to have to put up with this. You don't appreciate silence until you've lost it.

well, talking about myself and the daily Bkk noise: i DO appreciate silence, loosing it day-after-day in HERE but impatiently awaiting my 3 week holiday break on a cosy little island faaaaar away frm tourism. Furthermore: NOISE is my no.1 reason for not choosing Thailand as my retirement destination. Sad, but fact: all current and all future Thai govt proposals won't be fast enough with any new rules to change my mind...

It's permanent....

Sorry to hear that (no pun intended!).

.... I wouldn't want young kids to have to put up with this. You don't appreciate silence until you've lost it.

The recent birthday celebrations have shattered the silence where I live. Tonight is the first night that has been quiet for about 6 nights. There is a Wat about 2 kilometers from my house, and there has been a party/market/event going on there for 6 days. I went looking for it on the second night - I thought a neighbour in the next soi was having a party. But it wasn't in the next soi, or in the main road. I had to go to the next parallel main road to find the source. You would not believe how loud it was - I cannot imagine what the people nearer to the Wat than me did about it. Go out until 2 am I guess. We had a look around the Wat. There were some little girls - 5 or 6 year old - dressed up and dancing on a stage, there were people selling food, toys, clothes etc, and then there were the games stalls - burst 5 balloons and get a prize. But the sheer volume of the speakers was daft - so loud that the voices / music was distorted beyond recognition. So loud that passers by walked quicker to get out of the way of the speakers. That's why it was daft - it repelled customers, it didn't attract them.

wanna "hear" another funny story?

due to those king's looong (ever?)lasting celebration days (got a similar market/party/whatever-u-may-call-it nearby going on for 4 days) I tried to "escape" into relaxation by means of drinking some beers in a mostly thai-frequented bar at Raqtchadapisek. Live band playin'. I was aware of noise coming towards me again (nevertheless, as it wasn't traffic noise and the beer ran quite fast, I did not care any more after some time). BUT those thais make me shake my head when I watch them using their mobiles NEXT to the LOUDSPEAKERS inside that overcrowded bar. HOW the f... can it be possible doing a phone call under such circumstances??? I do't get it. Even in a supermarket I'm having trouble to understand smbdy talking to me on my phone as this sh1t door bell is ringing every 3 seconds....really unbelievable those thais....so what would happen to them IF new laws really decrease the current noise levels? Are they then likely to hear a needle falling on the floor in a 500 meters distance?

The timing of this USA new story could not have been better. But I suspect this will not receive any attention in Thailand because the focus is scrutinizing youth behavior rather than caring about the publics hearing. From article:

Motorcycle Noise Poses Hearing Risk

WEDNESDAY, Dec. 8 (HealthDayNews) -- Your hearing may be at risk if you were born to be wild.

In an informal survey of 33 motorcycles, University of Florida audiologists found that nearly half of them produced sounds above 100 decibels when throttled up -- equivalent in intensity to a loud rock concert or a chainsaw. The survey is part of an ongoing effort to identify recreational activities that may pose a risk to hearing, including noise levels experienced by motorcyclists, the researchers said.

The audiologists noted that the sample was small and not representative of all makes and models and those motorcycles with exhaust systems modified to make them louder. So formal research is needed to measure noise levels under typical riding conditions and to determine whether these early survey findings can be generalized to a larger number of bikes, they added.

Exposure to noise at 100 decibels is safe for only 15 minutes and permanent hearing loss can occur with prolonged exposure to noise levels of 85 decibels or higher, says the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

"Almost all of the motorcycles we tested reached action-level noise, which in the workplace would require ear protection," UF researcher Joy Colle said in a prepared statement.

"The loudest bike we tested measured 119 decibels with the engine revved, and the recommended exposure time at the level is only 11 seconds."

"Potentially, the vast majority of motorcyclists could be exposed to dangerous levels of noise," Colle said.

Motorcycle helmets don't offer any significant protection against noise. But inexpensive foam earplugs can reduce sound levels by 20 to 25 decibels, Colle said.

A ringing sound in the ears immediately after exposure and muffled hearing are warning signs of noise-induced hearing loss, which is permanent.