Suggestion For A New Food Forum On Thaivisa

Jingthing

I have noticed this problem over the years now so I would like to suggest a solution. A new OTHER CUISINES food forum. If you want to talk Thai food, you use the Thai food forum. If you want to talk western food, you use the western food forum.

But so many types of food people eat in Thailand do not fit into EITHER category!

such as

Chinese

Persian

Indian

Mexican

Malaysian

Korean

Japanese

Vietnamese

Burmese

Russian

etc., etc. ...

OK, some of these are minority interests, but some of them are very popular here, for example Chinese, Japanese, and Indian.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with you, because non-Thai Asian, middle eastern and African cuisines are not within the present categories. Indian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean cuisines are popular. Personally, I like Cambodian food, but don't know where to go for this, other than across the border. I think there would also be interest in Burmese, Vietnamese and Russian cuisine.

P.S. I think Mexican and other Latin American cuisines are western. Not that we would ever see a Peruvian restaurant in LOS.

I agree with you, because non-Thai Asian, middle eastern and African cuisines are not within the present categories. Indian, Japanese, Chinese and Korean cuisines are popular. Personally, I like Cambodian food, but don't know where to go for this, other than across the border. I think there would also be interest in Burmese, Vietnamese and Russian cuisine.

P.S. I think Mexican and other Latin American cuisines are western. Not that we would ever see a Peruvian restaurant in LOS.

Thanks for the support for the idea and I will IGNORE all the other rather personal attacks that have nothing to do with the topic at mouth hand. I think Mexican is an ambiguous one in that its origins are largely from the Indian people there. USA food is mostly influenced from Europe so obviously western, but cuisines like Mexican, Peruvian and Brazilian (strong African influence) less so.

Perhaps a title for the proposed new forum: Global food? Of course Thai and western are also global food, but "Other" sounds so dull, and within the context of this site (both Thai and Western-centric) it makes some logical sense.

A simpler option would be to just re-name the Western Food Forum to be called "Non-Thai food", or similar.

I think not. Starting a new forum is not complex. It is an editorial decision of the board admins based on perceived interest and I imagine advertising potential.

Edited by Jingthing

Can we please keep to the topic? For those who ARE interested in using the FOOD forums that already exist here, do you or do you not think an additional GLOBAL (or another name) forum would be useful to you (for all food types that are not western or Thai)?

Here is an example of why I think a Global forum is needed. A while back I posted a recipe I created for Sichuan chicken salad using Sichuan hot and numbing peppers (available in Thailand). This isn't Thai food so the best I could do was post it in western. No replies or interest in the post. Not surprising. Why would someone interested in looking at posts about western food be interested in a post about Chinese food? I really do think this new forum would be useful. There are so many international restaurants now in Thailand (not Thai and not western) and many of us are also cooking dishes here that are not Thai, not western.

Edited by Jingthing

I have noticed this problem over the years now so I would like to suggest a solution. A new OTHER CUISINES food forum. If you want to talk Thai food, you use the Thai food forum. If you want to talk western food, you use the western food forum.

But so many types of food people eat in Thailand do not fit into EITHER category!

such as

Chinese

Persian

Indian

Mexican

Malaysian

Korean

Japanese

Vietnamese

Burmese

Russian

etc., etc. ...

OK, some of these are minority interests, but some of them are very popular here, for example Chinese, Japanese, and Indian.

I would suggest

thai food

other asian food

other food

western food is very missleading...like calling all non thais as farang with language farang....

or

thai food

asian food

split into: chinese, indian and others

african food

european+american food (and the aussis)

I also like International. Within the context of a Thailand board mostly used by westerners, I think most people can easily learn that there are separate Thai food and western food forums.

Or what if your discussing Thai food that’s cooked international? Then its American/Thai food. And it will depends on where you are reading it from. It could all get confusing.

Nothing is perfect. Just suggesting a major enhancement towards a lot more clarity.

Edited by Jingthing

I would like a soup sub forum, just for soups.

yes, and a cheese forum and a biscuit forum.

Just have one FOOD FORUM -

Under it have all your subheadings - Thai, Indian, English, American etc.

Seems to work in the FOOTBALL FORUM - and if we football fans can figure that one out, I am sure the more intelligenct conosir tipes on her can keep a food thread organised.

such as

Chinese

Persian

Indian

Mexican

Malaysian

Korean

Japanese

Vietnamese

Burmese

Russian

etc., etc. ...

Every country with any type of culture has there own types of food so where does this list end ?

Make a different category system

Soups,

Deserts

Rice dish

Seafood

Pizzas

beverages

cheese

biscuits

ice creams

dips (thais love their dips)

etc.