First Lightbox Attempt

cymruambyth1

Hi Guys,

I have been reading up on Lightboxes this week as I have always wondered how those amazingly clear and well lit 'product' shots are achieved.

After spending 1,700 baht to set up a small corner of my apartment (including 2x 500W construction lamps) I managed to produce this shot during the first evenings farting about.

Your thoughts please.

7da9b05f5a.jpg

I don't know much about product photography but it looks ok to me.

I guess you'll continue to experiment and acheive different results that please you.

One things for sure - it would not be so well and evenly lit with a straight flash gun

I'm no expert either, but I thought the lighting was rather uneven, with a bright area under the face.

Was that intentional?

I don't know much about product photography but it looks ok to me.

I guess you'll continue to experiment and acheive different results that please you.

One things for sure - it would not be so well and evenly lit with a straight flash gun

I'm no expert either, but I thought the lighting was rather uneven, with a bright area under the face.

Was that intentional?

Amazing what you miss when you are blinded by producing by far the best attempt of a very new hobby!

Now I have read your post, all I can see is that bright area you have mentioned.

Thank you, I obviously need to tweak the angle of the 2x 500W lamps until this kind of error disappears.

Something to look out for with all future shots

(Can I borrow your eyes when setting shots up please!).

PS - see above...NO, it was not intentional.

750287893c.jpg

Here you go.

A:- 2x 500W construction lamps from Home Pro (cost THB 580 each) - BLOODY HOT!

B:- THB 481 worth of 4mm ply PVC corrugated sheets (3 in total - the 2x sides and the top) and loads of different coloured backgrounds, otherwise known as Artists Easel paper I think...all stocked together in the corner of B2S in Central Chidlom...easy!

TOTAL PRICE = THB 1,641.00

The only time-consuming part, if you could call it that, was cutting the rectangles out of the sides with a craft knife. After cutting these out, I taped tracing paper (included in the 1,641) over the cut-outs to diffuse the light and Bob's your uncle!

Now I am like a child running round all over the house and photographing all sorts of crap.

Next thing I want to try is placing photo frame glass under the things I shoot to mess about with reflections.

Just wish I had discovered the link on how to do this in the rainy season!

Oh, one more thing I did buy today to help with this was a 1,200THB remote lead for the shutter.

Edited by cymruambyth1

5dad999bd4.jpg

This was an attempt at something white made prior to the first photo of the statue head.

I have had a go at post-processing to bring out some of the detail, especially the dimples, which has made it slightly darker than the shot that came out of the camera.

The two columns on the set up photo are the two ends of the cardboard cylinder I bought to bring the paper home in. All they do is stop the front of the paper curling up at the front.

PS - you can knock the quality photo to pieces - I don't care, as all I wanted to do was preserve my Hole In One ball (the one on the right) from earlier this year. The beer I had to buy cost me for getting the hole in one cost me more that the whole set up for this Lightbox!

5dad999bd4.jpg

This was an attempt at something white made prior to the first photo of the statue head.

I have had a go at post-processing to bring out some of the detail, especially the dimples, which has made it slightly darker than the shot that came out of the camera.

The two columns on the set up photo are the two ends of the cardboard cylinder I bought to bring the paper home in. All they do is stop the front of the paper curling up at the front.

PS - you can knock the quality photo to pieces - I don't care, as all I wanted to do was preserve my Hole In One ball (the one on the right) from earlier this year. The beer I had to buy cost me for getting the hole in one cost me more that the whole set up for this Lightbox!

Hey, that's my Titleist #1, glad you found it! I shanked my drive over on hole #4 using it at Ptarmigan golf course in Colorado. I am sure you found it in the far left rough...

It may be more expensive but I suggest using LED lighting as it will bring the colors out more naturally. (Also reduce the heat two large halogens will produce.. (And even more energy efficient)...

good stuff man well done. do you have a grey card for meter readings this will help you with consistancy also i was also always taught to look at prints in natural daylight to truely evaluate what you have shot. i also recommend finding a book on pack shots and trying to replicate/mimic the ideas , alot of the time they have a drawing to illustrate the ideas. make your self a bunch of reflectors while your at it.good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend with a small factory that produces very cheap items, with high markup when sold abroad.

I dont have the skill or time to photograph the 300 items in the range.

I DO have the skill and time to setup an ecommerce website to advertise these items. I live out by the old Global House in Chiang Mai.

Any Chiang Mai local interested in photographing these things, and we can split any generated income 50/50?

thanks!!!

i should add, these items are about an inch high... ie: the whole range can be carried easily...

Edited by SomNamNah

Hi "SomNamNah",

Please post this in our Chiang Mai forum, could help.

Yours truly

Kan Win

I have a friend with a small factory that produces very cheap items, with high markup when sold abroad.

I dont have the skill or time to photograph the 300 items in the range.

I DO have the skill and time to setup an ecommerce website to advertise these items. I live out by the old Global House in Chiang Mai.

Any Chiang Mai local interested in photographing these things, and we can split any generated income 50/50?

thanks!!!

i should add, these items are about an inch high... ie: the whole range can be carried easily...