Bangkok Declares Public Parks Smoke-free Zones

george

The park next to the Emporium, Sukhumvit Road - Ben Jasiri Park - has been "non-smoking" for years, and there have been signs up clearly saying that smoking is prohibited. I used to go there regularly for fresh air - not easy to come by at ground level in Bangkok - but occasionally I would see some inconsiderate b*******s walking around, smoking.

As an ex-smoker and non-smoker I don't give a toss what people do to themselves, but when it affects the air that I breathe AND is against the law then I hope the park smokers get arrested and have to cough up 2,000 baht. They're probably already coughing up every morning - but that's just their lungs.

And to all the smokers who are about to flame me - go ahead. You are the ones in the minority - the world is changing.

I suppose you don't use cars, taxis, planes, refrigerator, etc etc etc... you don't use wood, paper, plastics, or any of the multitude of other things that <deleted> up the atmospher and ruin the environment. YOU are as guilty as 'everybody' else in the modern world, including smokers... And an ex-smoker at that!

And as for the world 'changing' ... Yes it is... and for the worse, and we have not seen the worse of it yet......

And as for being in a minority, I am in the minority having no religion, yet there are millions upon millions of religious people out there... but that does not make them right!

You know you would think by now, after prohibition, the drug problems and such, Governments would learn that you can not regulate addictive behavior in people. Common courtesy deems that a smoker does not subject others to his addiction. On the other hand common courtesy for the smoker would be nice as well.

I would hope that someday there are no smokers in the world although I seriously doubt it. To much money to be made by tobacco companies and goverments through taxation. California a great example a pack of cigerettes over $5.00 a pack, didn't slow anyone down. Theory was that money was going to be used for anti smoking programs and treatment for addition. Not one treatment program was ever done. Why? The money was given to local and state governments and used within the general fund, to cover shortages. Does California really want you to stop smoking I doubt it since the get $3.50 per pack purchased, can you imagine how much money that is per day?

Well anyone who wants can drink thier sixer everyday, do me a favor don't drive and I promise I won't smoke in your aircoditioned bar, resturant or public place. Now that seem like a fair deal to me.

Better then a ban in a public park

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to smoke is stupid. but thailand ist not singapore. let's wait and see.

Sure, to drink alcohol is also stupid, biggest stupidity is to inhale the not so clean Bangkok air.

What do you mean by "...Thailand is not Singapore"?

In Thailand, no smoking in public place, restaurants, now parks etc.

In Singapore smoking allowed on the streets and ashtrays provided every couple of meters.

At 9:30 p.m. the food menus dis-appear and the ashtrays come out in bars.

More and more food places knock down doors and windows to cater to smokers.

You want the same in Thailand? :o

Oh well.....

They have nothing better to do, right? And yet again it's "The Smokers" who are to suffer. I am a non-smoker, but i personally don't mind if friends or whoever around me lights a cigarette. There is too much hassle against smokers already, and now ban it in the free air???

How about the white-blue buses that still belch black smoke so thick that you can't see the road anymore when driving close behind one? How about a law that would enforce to shut off car engines when stuck in traffic jams for minutes without moving? Oh i forgot... without their airconditioners, people (particular thais) would die instantly.

How about DRINKING in public? Nothing annoys me more than walking, or TRYING to walk, on a sidewalk and having to step around drunkards sleeping on the sidewalk, bottle in hand. Ever anyone heard of a traffic accident caused by a driver ho had smoked tobacco before driving?? I imagine you can smoke a pack of cigarettes and are still able to drive, but how is it after a six-pack of Chang's?

I am fed up with the worldwide anti-smoker-campaigns. My opinion: Ban ALL so called "soft drugs" such as alcohol, nicotine, caffeine (yes, coffee, Coca Cola and Pepsi!) and teine (Tea!). All of those have effects on the body, on one's reaction abilities and all of them are addictive. Believe it or not, it's fact. If you don't ban them all, stop harassing users of one of them (always the smokers!)

Second hand smoke is nowhere near as dangerous as second-hand alcohol, provided by a guy behind the wheel of a car, having a few beers in the head.

And loudspeakers as an alternative? Thank you very much. I am seldom visiting parks anyway, but if i do, i am glad NOT to hear blaring loudspeakers of which i get enough in my soi. Better ban those too since thais are REALLY addicted to noise already........ and as his majesty the king mentioned, hearing problems in youngsters are serious..... stop the public loudspeakers and racket-exhausts of certain motorbikes, trucks and buses before you yet again hit at the discos and pubs. Whoever goes to such places WANTS to be surrounded by noise, but the people out in the streets definitely DON'T.

Regards.....

Thanh

What a load of nonsense!! It used to seem that Thaksin wanted BKK to become more and more like Singapore but now it appears he wants to make BKK more like Bhutan.

What is the point of a ban on smoking in the open air in one of the most polluted cities in the world!?

Yet another excuse for the coppers to screw money out of people in 'fines' as well. We'll start to find more and more cops hanging out in the parks.

How long before we get the 'I was fined for smoking in a park' posts......

Fact is, Thailand is planting more and more tobacco fields in the north...

They're willing to ban smoking in public areas, but not ban the cigarettes. What the government will do in case of fewer sales is simply to increase the sin tax to make up for any financial losses. TiT. :o

At the end of the day its Thaksin trying to look like a progressive leader to the West. The trouble is he doesn't know when to stop. He's like a 5 year old who gets a compliment for doing something and then gets all over excited and carries on doing it until he gets a slap from his mum.

I hope the Thai electorate give him a slap come Febuary.

At the end of the day its Thaksin trying to look like a progressive leader to the West. The trouble is he doesn't know when to stop. He's like a 5 year old who gets a compliment for doing something and then gets all over excited and carries on doing it until he gets a slap from his mum.

I hope for more than that - I hope they give him the boot. :o

One of my pet haggises must have escaped again.

They are always doing that but thats the problem wi haggises... you can never tell what end its coming out of :o

Results are always the same though....

Too bad his Mum ain't slappin' him! :o

Gee, I wonder if this new no-smoking-in-public-parks nonsense applies to future parks also? If so, now I can go stroll about smoke-free in the rubble of the coming-soon Chuvit (Chuwit) Park, on Sukhumvit and Soi 10, where the man guilty of causing the devastation has proudly posted his huge picture on top of the barbed wire.

The cops have been pulling this scam in Benjasiri Park near the Emporium for a few months now.

Guy cycles round. Hauls anyone smoking off to their little hut near the front gate to pay a 'fine' :D Strangely, I've never seen a Thai had their collar felt over it. Actually it's mainly the chain smoking Japs who seem to get targetted. Boy, do they get stressed over it too :o

Here's a hint - every litter bin in the park not having a great big ashtray set in the top of it might make the law easier for people to understand?

What is the point of a ban on smoking in the open air in one of the most polluted cities in the world!?

The point is to make a start in cutting down the amount of pollution and litter.

Yes, I know the buses belch out carbon particles but there are far more people smoking in Bangkok than busses.

Would be interesting to see if anyone knows of a study that finds out just how much junk is put into the air by one cigarette. Multiply it up by 20 a day and 1 million people in Bangkok and that will be a lot of shit people shouldnt be breathing in.

As an aside, I saw on a tv program a coupel of weeks ago that if you took all the particulates out of the atmosphere and they settled on the ground, it would cover the earths land surface to the depth of 1 or 1.5mm. Now thats scary shit.

I'd rather somebody smoke in my presence than to fart, puke or p*ss, or take a dump in my presence... all bodily functions... So what's you point? You hate smoking that much?

The point is you choose to smoke and deliberately pollute the atmosphere. You have an option not to. You dont have an option when you burp,fart,puke. Autonomic body function I think its called.

The cops have been pulling this scam in Benjasiri Park near the Emporium for a few months now.

Guy cycles round. Hauls anyone smoking off to their little hut near the front gate to pay a 'fine'  :o  Strangely, I've never seen a Thai had their collar felt over it. Actually it's mainly the chain smoking Japs who seem to get targeted. Boy, do they get stressed over it too  ....

Sorry to contradict, but it's not a "scam" - the last time l was in Benjasiri, there were notices at all entrances with a picture of a cigarette and a red line through it. I can't remember what languages were used but it was clear that smoking was forbidden. l think there was another sign, but not sure what it was banning - maybe portable radios, maybe skate-boards.

As for Japs getting done - som nam naa! As for Thais not getting done - what do you expect, TIT.

farting is a normal bodily function,smoking is not :o

Tolerance is what is needed in live. I think I do offer all of it equally to smokers, non-smokers and former smokers.

Farting might be a bodily function, but do not expect my tolerance for this.

Come back once you are housebroken or, if it is a chronic case, ask for medical or psychiatric help. It can be cured or one can be trained, although admittedly the older one get's the more difficult it will be.

The Japanese have needed a bit of a wake-up call for awhile in respect to consideration for non-smokers...  glad to hear they're getting shaken down...  'cause that's what it is, if they're not doing it to the Thais.

"Steven"

Old japanese say-ing

"Wherever you be let the wind blow free" or should that be " fee."

(bt 10,000 say).good on yer-Bangkoks finest .....welcome to LOS. :D

Was passing through Manila International ( Ninoy Aquino)about 10 years after the smoking ban was put in place by the Government/Airport bosses and sure enough there he was "wee Hiro-whatsit" with his fag in his mouth.

Polite requests from Airport staff to stub it out were answered by some reference to "tora-tora-tora"

Anyway it wasnt long before kamikazi son No 1 was soon on his way back to the land of the rising ash trays at his own expense :D

All the staff were having a great laugh at this and when I spoke to one of them afterwards sure enough his comment was -Not considerate and No respect -and third one that week.

I also just about got the impression that there was no love lost between the 2 nationalities. :D:o