New Tesco Opens In Nong Phai

phutoie2

For those who reside in central Petchabun, a new Tesco shop opened in the town of Nong Phai yesterday, thats a town on route 21, a 50 km drive from mine - (Phu Toei).

Its not on the scale of Petchabun City's new Tesco, but seemed to stock most items you would want for daily living etc. As it was the first day it was packed out and I just had a quick look, queues at the tills were many deep.

The ATM's though installed were not working.

Interesting in the early part of this year there were many 'Say No to Tesco Lotus' banners displayed in the town of Na Chaliang, another town 10km north of Nong Phai. I think Tesco took this on board and went and spoke to the city fathers in NP and built there instead.

Hi P

I also paid a quick visit there yesterday and as it was crowded I had a quick look and legged it. The fruit and veg looked good and yes it is on a smaller scale than most Tesco's but nevertheless it is a welcome addition to the local shopping opportunities. I live in Wang Bot about 12kms from Nong Phai

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

The wonders of Internet! For people living in Petchabun: to discuss the merits of a new Tesco in Nong Phai. For me: to try and (ab)use these people to get some information on the area...

Travelling on a bicycle from Bangkok to Nong Khai next Feb and making about 100 km a day, I intend to stay at Chai Badan (Lopburi) and, two days later, in Kaset Sombun (Chaiyaphum), supposing there will be some accommodation in both places.

In between though, I will need another place to sleep. Midway would be near Sai Thong National Park. But in the park itself I can only find huge and expensive bungalows. Looking at the map I came to consider Nong Phai for a night's stay.

Googling Nong Phai I found the exchange of information on the new Tesco on this site, registered and would like to bother you now with the following questions.

- Do you know of other (more affordable) accommodation in or near Sai Thong National Park?

- Does Nong Phai offer a hotel or guesthouse?

- If not, where else would be the nearest accommodation?

- Can you confirm accommodation being available in Chai Badan and Kaset Sombun?

I do hope someone will take the time to help me out on this.

Lots of thanks,

Kees Meijer

Amsterdam, Holland

When you head north up route 21 you approach the town of Chai Badan, the locals refer to it as Lam Na Rai for some reason, you will see a big motel/hotel on the left side of the road. If you hit the first traffic lights you have gone too far.

Its a modern place only opened a few years and the price's reasonable.

If you make it further up the 21 there is the town of Wichien Buri which has at least 3 hotels/guest house's I know of, however its about 9km's east off the 21.

You will cycle through the town where I live by the way - Ban Phu Toei, if you are really stuck, call in, we have 3 bedrooms and my wife has been trained now to cook decent scrambled eggs for breakfast!!

Edited by phutoie2

A little more info Kees, they are resorts, small bungalows with AC, TV and fridge, also have restaurants, they are sometimes busy so I can book you in if you want. if you want more info PM me and I will do my best

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your message.

So Nong Phai seems like a good option to spend the night - may as well stock up in the new Tesco!

I take it that you don't know of any accommodation on roads 225 or 2359, nearer to Sai Thong National Park (which I would prefer for being nearer to my next planned stop: Kaset Sombun), apart from the expensive resort out there.

Instead of plying backwards from Nong Phai the next day on 21 to continue East on 225 and then North on 2359, how about a small (unpaved?) road that I spotted on my map, leaving Nong Phai eastward, crossing a river and getting to road 2359 North of 225? That would save me some 25 km, I presume.

Please forgive me for bothering you with more silly questions. I like to prepare my travels as metaculously as possible, mostly for the fun of it, because in practice things always turn out differently...

Thanks again, with kindest regards,

Kees Meijer (a model 1944)

Amsterdam, Holland

PS: Very kind of you to offer to book for me. But on a bicycle one is never really sure about showing up. It will probably be a Wednesday (Feb 2nd) and with two options to choose from I shouldn't expect much of a problem, right?

When you head north up route 21 you approach the town of Chai Badan, the locals refer to it as Lam Na Rai for some reason, you will see a big motel/hotel on the left side of the road. If you hit the first traffic lights you have gone too far.

Its a modern place only opened a few years and the price's reasonable.

If you make it further up the 21 there is the town of Wichien Buri which has at least 3 hotels/guest house's I know of, however its about 9km's east off the 21.

You will cycle through the town where I live by the way - Ban Phu Toei, if you are really stuck, call in, we have 3 bedrooms and my wife has been trained now to cook decent scrambled eggs for breakfast!!

Dear Mr. ???,

I just replied to another message by Chris, which you will probably notice on this forum.

I am very grateful for your response as well.

So Chai Badan is covered too.

The accommodation in Wichian Buri would be a nice alternative to Nong Phai if the short cut east from Nong Phai that I asked Chris about would not be feasable for the old biker (providing a short cut to road 225 via 2275).

I cannot find the metropole of Phu Toei on my map. Instead of taking unnecessary advantage of your hospitality and your wifes cooking skills I might come by to say hello if time allows - but you would have to give me directions.

Thank you nevertheless for your kind offer, with best regards,

Kees Meijer

Hi Kees

The 225 to Chaiyapum is quite a road as it traverses the mountains, I drove it in the opposite direction a couple of weeks ago and it seems to go on forever with a couple of steep climbs. The road you are talking about is actually the road on which I live, just talked to my wife and yes you can get to Khaset Sombun on the road which is actually tarmac. As to accomodation I live about 12 Kms out of Nong Phai and have a spare bed so that ain't a problem if you decide to come up this way. There are also facilities to get your bike serviced nearby should you feel the need. Anyone who has the balls to attempt what you are doing deserves a helping hand in my book.

The road map I am looking at here doesn't have our road on it but I will check it all out and get back to you, I see a road numbered 2159 on the map I have which passes through Nong Bua Daeng and then onward to Kaset Sombun.

Best Wishes

Chris

Hi Kees

The 225 to Chaiyapum is quite a road as it traverses the mountains, I drove it in the opposite direction a couple of weeks ago and it seems to go on forever with a couple of steep climbs. The road you are talking about is actually the road on which I live, just talked to my wife and yes you can get to Khaset Sombun on the road which is actually tarmac. As to accomodation I live about 12 Kms out of Nong Phai and have a spare bed so that ain't a problem if you decide to come up this way. There are also facilities to get your bike serviced nearby should you feel the need. Anyone who has the balls to attempt what you are doing deserves a helping hand in my book.

The road map I am looking at here doesn't have our road on it but I will check it all out and get back to you, I see a road numbered 2159 on the map I have which passes through Nong Bua Daeng and then onward to Kaset Sombun.

Best Wishes

Chris

Dear Chris,

Hello again and thanks again for your concern. Actually (hear the old farang bragging) the Thai part of my itinerary will be the easy part, as I will continue North through Laos, passing by Luang Prabang to the Vietnamese border near Dien Bien Phu and from there North and East to Sa Pa, some more remote country in northeastern Vietnam near the Chinese border and finally South to Hanoi, from where I will fly back to Bangkok and eventually to Amsterdam.

I hope I managed to upload part of my map of your area. From Nong Phai (g Phai is all that's left on my scan) it shows a grey little road eastward, crossing a river and soon after this road 2275 (yellow) and some 25 km further on meeting road 2359 (also yellow), where I could turn left towards, indeed, Nong Bua Daeng and on to Kaset Sombun. It would be nice if it remained tarmac but even unsealed roads don't put me off, as long as they're not too muddy, which I don't expect in this season.

Thanks a lot for your offer to lodge me, but it doesn't look like I will have to bother you.

I still would welcome your confirmation on this road we talked about and maybe about accommodation in Kaset Sombun (not to be found on the Internet), but don't take too much trouble - when I really get stuck somewhere there is allways some means of motorized transport to get me to a bed and a shower.

Regards,

Kees

post-73008-1229431956_thumb.jpg

Hi Kees

Well I take me hat off to you, the name Dien Bien Phu always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, well whats left of it anyway. I will check out Kaset Sombun in the near future, a bit too busy at the moment with one thing and another but will check it out in the new year. The little grey road is not the one we live on, looks like its just outside of Nong Phai, we are about 8Kms further on from that. I should imagine there will be resort style accomodation in KS, it looks big enough, will PM some contact details to you

Enjoy your planning

Chris

Hi Kees

I rode the little grey road from Nong Phai on my motorbike yesterday afternoon, mainly tarmac, beautiful ride through the rice paddies and hamlets facing the mountains. I guess I went about 25Kms until the road petered out into a dirt track at the base of a mountain. As I was running short of time and it was getting cold!! I turned back at that point, I will investigate again to see if there is a way through the mountain. However looking at the big picture the 225 is definitely your best bet, I am sure there will be affordable accomodation down that route as small resorts are springing up all over the place. When I am down that way I will check it out.

My own nightmare experience on the 225 was in a torrential downpour and floods late at night, with a greasy windscreen and a bad attitude after a day in the classroom and a 3 hour exam. I was also unable to find the way through Chaiyaphum, after an hour of driving in circles I eventually hired a Samlor to show me the way out, wouldn't you know it, as soon as I followed him to an obscure turnoff there was a signpost for Phetchabun about one hundred metres further on. I therefore had a bit of a negative view of the 225, I should imagine in the daytime it will present some spectacular views as you work your way through the mountains, definitely one for my to do book.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all PB TV'ers

Hope this helps with your planning

Chris

Hi Kees

I rode the little grey road from Nong Phai on my motorbike yesterday afternoon, mainly tarmac, beautiful ride through the rice paddies and hamlets facing the mountains. I guess I went about 25Kms until the road petered out into a dirt track at the base of a mountain. As I was running short of time and it was getting cold!! I turned back at that point, I will investigate again to see if there is a way through the mountain. However looking at the big picture the 225 is definitely your best bet, I am sure there will be affordable accomodation down that route as small resorts are springing up all over the place. When I am down that way I will check it out.

My own nightmare experience on the 225 was in a torrential downpour and floods late at night, with a greasy windscreen and a bad attitude after a day in the classroom and a 3 hour exam. I was also unable to find the way through Chaiyaphum, after an hour of driving in circles I eventually hired a Samlor to show me the way out, wouldn't you know it, as soon as I followed him to an obscure turnoff there was a signpost for Phetchabun about one hundred metres further on. I therefore had a bit of a negative view of the 225, I should imagine in the daytime it will present some spectacular views as you work your way through the mountains, definitely one for my to do book.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all PB TV'ers

Hope this helps with your planning

Chris

Hello again, Chris,

Thanks for your motorized exploration of my beloved little grey road! So you didn't make it to Dien Bien Phu...

25 km of Tarmac should at least get me to the crossing with road 2275, where I could either (stubbornly!) continue eastbound or turn South towards Wichian Buri and pick up 225. We'll see how I will fare (and maybe get stuck in gravel or mud).

"A day in the classroom and a 3 hour exam" - are you a pupil or a teacher?

Before starting this trip with my two-wheeled girlfriend on the 1st of Feb I will spend a month in Thailand with a two-legged one. With her I will do a loop in a rented car, roughly: BKK - Phitsanulok - Tak - Mae Sot - Mae Hong Son - Chiang Mai - Thaton (+ longboat river trip to Chiang Rai) - along the water mother Mekong and back to Bangkok. I did this same itinerary a few years ago on my bike and liked it a lot.

We will fly out there on the 30th of this month and spend new years eve in Krung Thep.

Getting back mid March I will at least have skipped most of the horrendous Dutch winter...

Also, a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year to you and other TV'ers who cared to help me out on my planning.

With kindest regards,

Kees

Hi Kees

yes the LGR does cross the 2275 at about the 15Km point, I live about 12 KMs N of the crossing,did you get my e-mail? We are going to Sattahip today to visit friends and coming back on 28th. I have a Dutch friend who lives in Bua Lamphu who has offered some support if you need it, I hope we manage to meet up when you get here on your 2 wheeled G/F, there is a bed and roast dinner on offer, have a great trip with your 2 legged one

Kindest Regards

Chris

in answer to your question I did the 6 week TEFL course in Khon Khaen as a student, so now I am an English conversation teacher working part time and looking for a full time teaching job

Cheers

Chris

Sorry for bothering you again, but did you receive my email requesting directions to your home address?

I will be leaving for BKK tomorrow morning. If no contact before on my home email address ([email protected]), try mailing to: [email protected].

Regards,

Kees

Hi Kees

took a ride along the little grey road yesterday, I have some pics which I will e-mail you. I got about 25Kms from the junction on the 2275, it is potholed tarmac for the first 6kms or so, then a graded dirt road for another 5Kms through the valleys with many adverse cambers, so if you don't want to take a swim be careful. Then a really good road for another 8Kms with a couple of steep climbs which take you to the top of the hills/mountains, lovely views. It then turns into quite a rough dirt track with some short steep nasy climbs and a couple of long ones. I turned around at the 6Km point about 25Km in total. The road/track is perfectly navigable but hard going. Having asked around the track should take you to the 2308, the road was a reall boneshaker which my cruiser isn't really built to handle.

Having looked at the map I must have been within a few kilometers of the junction as I could see the track continuing down into the valley and beyond. It is also very dusty, wife was not impressed when I returned, whether she was more worried about me or the state of the Phantom is debateable, visibility drops to about ten meters when a truck full of new year revellers go hammering past. Seeing as I was so close to the junction I wish I had persevered but I had had enough at that point. To stay on thread I popped into the Tesco in Nong Phai and bought some ground beef for hamburgers!

Happy New Year to all

Chris

As I have just finished making up a supply of burgers from ingredients all gettable in Nong Phai Tesco I thought I would share the recipe with you:

2 x 250 gram packs ground beef

3 rashers of bacon chopped

2 eggs

Half a pack of breadcrumbs

Plain flour (2 desert spoons)

Half a finely chopped onion

1 chopped tomato

6-8 red and green chillies and seeds (if you like it to bite back)

glug of ketchup

glug of mustard

glug of oyster sauce

glug of olive oil

Freshly ground black pepper

Salt

Tarragon leaves

Rosemary

Mix it all together, I save the olive oil till last as it adjusts the texture of the mix and stops it sticking to your hands too much. Spoon out a quarterpound sized dollop on to a wet chopping board and using wet hands pat it into shape, drop it into flour on both sides and put aside etc etc. You can add or subtract ingredients to taste, grated cheese and carrot is good in them too. They freeze okay and the verdict around here is Aroy.

Enjoy!

Chris