Health Issues From Lifestyle Changes

sceadugenga

I recently stopped drinking after 45 years of heavy consumption. No promises, one day at a time as they say.

I decided to improve my diet as well and have reduced fats, carbs and meat and replaced then with fruit and salads. (I've never been a big cooked veg fan). My fruit of choice is citrus, mainly Som-O.(Pomelo). Salads mainly tomatoes and cucumber.

I appear to have dropped about 6kg in three weeks and feel physically fitter than I have for years. Exercise consists of walking which can be painful due to arthritis. No swimming pools around here unfortunately.

Now the health issues. I've always been a borderline migraine sufferer. They went away in middle age and returned a few years back in the form of Acephalgic or silent migraine; maybe about two or three a year. I get the light show with minimal headache. The whole thing lasts about an hour.

Since I gave up booze I'm averaging one a week, I've had two this week. Any connection?

I would say that your body will take awhile to adjust after such a long period of heavy drinking. I stopped drinking almost two and a half years ago and still notice improvements in my health. I have never heard of anybody's health deteriorating after given up alcohol, but heavy drinking can mask other conditions. A sober mind is far more aware of what is occurring in the body. Maybe this increase in the frequency of your migraines are a response to your body adjusting, but perhaps you should see a doctor.

I know that many experts feel that there is a psychological component to migraine. Maybe you should develop a regular meditation practice as this is a great way of dealing with this type of issue. It is also a great thing to do in sobriety generally.

Edited by garro

Thanks garro, that's good advice; alcohol is, after all, a drug.

Not sure about the meditation. I've never been much good at that sort of thing, I make a very poor subject for hypnosis... I suspect my mind is too active.

However I've found I am sleeping better with less vivid dreams.

Migraines can be triggered in susceptible people by a drop in blood sugar.

The rapid pace of your weight loss together with what you describe of your eating habits suggests that this could be the culprit.

Suggest trying to consume more protein (keeps the BS elevated loinger than fruits will); could also try more frequent snacks e.g. fruit or fruit juice every 3 hours. Will require some trial and error but you'll find out what works.

Congrats are in order for giving up the booze!!!

Thanks Sheryl, you could have a point. I've cut back on meat quite a bit and my principal "snack" is Som-O or pomelo which is not very sweet. (Your hands don't get sticky eating it).

I've actually had a craving for something sweet as well so I may start putting a little sugar in my tea. I've never been a big sweets eater.

Still holding off the booze, we had a family BBQ the other day and they were all slurping on my poor neglected beer and I wasn't even tempted!!!

Nearly four weeks and counting.

Problem with sugar is that it sends the blood sugar way up but it then crashes down. That's why protein foods work best.

Besides meat, eggs and dairy good sources include all kinds of nuts, which are convenient to snack on (and also rich in other nutrients) and will help maintain BS levels longer.

Tofu also good but of course not so convenient as a snack.

An occasional Hardboiled egg is also an easy snack if you like them and will likewise help give a sustained boost to the BS.